Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

I'm on my 4th day with the new Hopper 3 and still don't have any channel or program art. I remember that taking a couple days in the past, but never this long.
I thought the same thing. I installed mine last Saturday morning. I took until about Tuesday or Wednesday until everything had populated. It is all good now. Just give it a few days.

I'm on my 4th day with the new Hopper 3 and still don't have any channel or program art. I remember that taking a couple days in the past, but never this long.
Same with me. It's been five days.

My OTA channels finally populated on the guide today.

I'm still waiting for Dish Anywhere to start working properly.

All my channel logos populated within hours of my install. The only thing I'm missing is logo art when I press home and also when I go to the sports or movie tab, it says no data available. Will these populate in a few days? Thanks!

I'm also very much looking forward to Sports Bar mode. Dish has really outdone themselves with this box. Way to go Dish!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FYI - Sports Bar Mode only works when the H3 is connected to a 4K TV. I did a little researching tonight because my PiP was only showing two channels on the H3 (and only errors on the 4K Joey). That is kind of a bummer. I guess I need to find someone to buy my TV and upgrade to 4K.

PiP issues with 52.0 remote

I had a H3 installed today along with a 4K Joey and 2.0 Joey. I agree with everyone else, the H3 is blazing fast. I am so used to slow responding receivers that the speed of the UI is almost annoying (in a good way). Installation took about 2 hours and went smoothly. I replaced a 622 and 722k, so I'm jumping a few generations of Dish equipment but I'm glad I did.

My biggest complaint so far is the new smaller 52.0 remote. Having used a 20.0/21.0 remote for the last five years, I have grown accustomed to having the three PiP buttons at the bottom of the remote (PiP, Swap, Position). With the 52.0 remote, you use the "input" button on the side of the remote but it can only do one function at a time (PiP or Swap). This is a big disappointment as I use PiP frequently while watching multiple sporting events. To Swap or PiP, you have to push the "option" button, choose the PiP on screen menu and then decide what type of PiP you want. I am tempted to ditch the new 52.0 and buy more 40.0 remotes.

And, the "Sports Bar Mode" only works on 4K TV's. I was assuming it would work on my 1080p tv sets just like PiP works now, but with four channels on screen. That is a disappointment that Dish chose to limit that feature. There is very little 4K content out there right now, so I am not tempted to upgrade my TV yet.

Any others have issues with the PiP and the 52.0 remote?

Sports bar mode is coming in a later update correct? And Netflix is on Feb 11th.

Edit: also, is there a way to set a time for a nightly reboot? I couldn't find this option anywhere.

Last edited:
after being delayed because of the snow in colorado on my original install date on tue., my installer arrived promptly on fri. morning. i had every cable labeled. I explained about my extra dish for our "tailgater, traveler" 211. i told him i would hook all the boxes up while he did all the outdoor dish stuff. i got the new H3 and a J2 and an 4kJ hooked up before he got done with the new lnb and hub. i think i could have had him out of my driveway in 90 mins but..... probs pairing up the new remote to the H3. we had to do three unplug-reboots.
i have to say i dont think ill even use it.
i told him i would probabaly use the old 40.0 remotes for a while. he said that would'nt work..... i taught him how to pair the old remotes to the new boxes and restore the old settings. my reward was Lots and Lots of new cable. I'll replace all my 20 year old cables with that in the spring.
so... he let me keep my old remotes.
Anway.... i dont know about the H3. It just seems like microsoft windows. more and more pretty eye candy and less and less control.
For example on the HWS i could specify on my recordings "HD only" on the H3 it wants to record every episode of a show, crappy sd episodes and all.
And the search button. i want what i clicked, NOT recommendations.
and would anybody show me how to record a sports teams weekly schedule e.g the redwings like the HWS?
Well my family were out of tuners and had recording conflicts.........But if it was just me i would prolly just use a 722.

I installed mine on Wednesday and I'm loving it. Only complaint is as of now, my HWS is STILL hooked up to the hopper 3 via Ethernet copying my recordings over. Very slow process but I think we should be done by lunch tomorrow at this point. At least we can watch tv at the same time. I am also having frequent sudden resets. Also concerning, but my gut feeling is it is somehow connected to the Ethernet transfer and will clear up when that's done (I hope).

PiP issues with 52.0 remote

I had a H3 installed today along with a 4K Joey and 2.0 Joey. I agree with everyone else, the H3 is blazing fast. I am so used to slow responding receivers that the speed of the UI is almost annoying (in a good way). Installation took about 2 hours and went smoothly. I replaced a 622 and 722k, so I'm jumping a few generations of Dish equipment but I'm glad I did.

My biggest complaint so far is the new smaller 52.0 remote. Having used a 20.0/21.0 remote for the last five years, I have grown accustomed to having the three PiP buttons at the bottom of the remote (PiP, Swap, Position). With the 52.0 remote, you use the "input" button on the side of the remote but it can only do one function at a time (PiP or Swap). This is a big disappointment as I use PiP frequently while watching multiple sporting events. To Swap or PiP, you have to push the "option" button, choose the PiP on screen menu and then decide what type of PiP you want. I am tempted to ditch the new 52.0 and buy more 40.0 remotes.

And, the "Sports Bar Mode" only works on 4K TV's. I was assuming it would work on my 1080p tv sets just like PiP works now, but with four channels on screen. That is a disappointment that Dish chose to limit that feature. There is very little 4K content out there right now, so I am not tempted to upgrade my TV yet.

Any others have issues with the PiP and the 52.0 remote?

I believe Scott mentioned that sports bar will work with 1080p as well when it is released :)

Is anyone else having trouble with the remotes. My wife and I sit about 10 - 15 feet from our hopper and it seems like we have to repeat commands on both the old and new remotes all the time. If we point it exactly at the hopper then we can get it to work but we never had to do this with the old hopper 2. I am thinking we got a hopper with a bad RF receiver.

I installed mine on Wednesday and I'm loving it. Only complaint is as of now, my HWS is STILL hooked up to the hopper 3 via Ethernet copying my recordings over. Very slow process but I think we should be done by lunch tomorrow at this point. At least we can watch tv at the same time. I am also having frequent sudden resets. Also concerning, but my gut feeling is it is somehow connected to the Ethernet transfer and will clear up when that's done (I hope).
I thought that this direct transfer method was not yet implemented. Most folks were transferring to an EHD and then either keeping stuff on the EHD (because the H3 can play it off there directly) or then moving it from the EHD to the H3.

Got mine installed and noticed 2 things missing, caller ID history and CEC on-off icon. Joey 2 has rebooted a couple of times when turning on.. Also specs says Hopper 3 comes with a model 50 voice remote but mine came with a model 52 instead.Will I get one free when the model 50 is available?

I thought that this direct transfer method was not yet implemented. Most folks were transferring to an EHD and then either keeping stuff on the EHD (because the H3 can play it off there directly) or then moving it from the EHD to the H3.
If you do the carbon update on the HWS then you can do Hopper 2 Hopper transfer. I didn't know that until after I had already transferred my recordings to an EHD.

Got mine installed and noticed 2 things missing, caller ID history and CEC on-off icon. Joey 2 has rebooted a couple of times when turning on.. Also specs says Hopper 3 comes with a model 50 voice remote but mine came with a model 52 instead.Will I get one free when the model 50 is available?
CEC is in settings > remote scroll down
Caller ID is home 2 time then my account