Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
NO reports here either on the Hopper 3. Remember the Hopper 3 has a totally new GUI system
I even have it on an a UPS, no reboots from late night power blips either.
Picture quality is now the same is pure over the air full HD. (they fixed the picture quality issues with the new chip set, so much faster and better video processing which is also required for 4K support).

"The Dish ecosystem also seems to have weird behaviors you must live with... Nightly reboots, the H3 not coming back on tuned to the last channel, etc. small annoyances, but to me annoyances none the less. "

So far I've had no visible nightly reboots on either J2 or H3 - it seems to be waiting till turned off. Glad we were listened to, finally.

Some Seagate drives do this. WD is the drive that always works on Dish with USB 3.0. Drivers are there for Western Digital. Other brands work most of the time but not always.
Solution is to plug the driver into an other USB port (not the 3.0 one) and reboot.

A The only problem is I have hooked up the external hard drive that has all my recordings on it using the USB 3.0 port and the Hopper isn't recognizing it. It worked fine on the original Hopper (2.0 USB obviously). Any tips on getting that working? The tech was afraid the Hopper 3 would try to format the hard drive with all my recordings on it, but nothing has happened yet. It is a new Seagate 2 TB drive with external power and USB 3.0/2.0 compatible.

Or how about waiting 24 hrs for the Hopper to get it's info set before rebooting? Most that just let theirs sit for a few hours have less glitches from what I've read. If you start rebooting while it's trying to do stuff in the background no telling what might happen.

Kitty, wait until tomorrow to try hooking up your EHD. It takes a few days to get everything downloaded correctly. Just have some patience and all will be well. If your EHD worked on your old Hopper it will work on the new one as well. I've got my EHD plugged into the 3.0 and it works just fine!

Some Seagate drives do this. WD is the drive that always works on Dish with USB 3.0. Drivers are there for Western Digital. Other brands work most of the time but not always.
Solution is to plug the driver into an other USB port (not the 3.0 one) and reboot.

I have the OTA tuner in the USB 2.0 port, but I can switch them if it will help.

Or how about waiting 24 hrs for the Hopper to get it's info set before rebooting? Most that just let theirs sit for a few hours have less glitches from what I've read. If you start rebooting while it's trying to do stuff in the background no telling what might happen.

Sounds reasonable, I will wait and not reboot for a couple of days.

Kitty, wait until tomorrow to try hooking up your EHD. It takes a few days to get everything downloaded correctly. Just have some patience and all will be well. If your EHD worked on your old Hopper it will work on the new one as well. I've got my EHD plugged into the 3.0 and it works just fine!

I already have it attached to the Hopper 3 but it isn't recognizing it. Should I just leave it there for now or unplug it and reconnect in a day or two?

PQ has vastly improved on the H3 and the interface speed is phenomenal now. I wouldn't let that hold you back any longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Picture quality is now the same is pure over the air full HD. (they fixed the picture quality issues with the new chip set, so much faster and better video processing which is also required for 4K support).

If they don't change the source, the DVR isn't going to restore the thrown out detail going from 1920*1080 to 1440*1080.... No way, no how.

I just can't buy the claim that Dish suddenly looks as good as non compressed full resolution OTA based on my experience a couple of years ago with Dish.....

While I don't doubt the H3 is a great box, it's certainly not a miracle worker ;).

Having recently bought a full 4K HDR capable tv (JS9500) I'm am keenly aware when any part of the chain is "lacking..." It's my only hesitation switching at this point, and it's not a decision easily undone once Dish pulls down my Direct dish....

hopper3 and joey2 installed this morning. everything went very smoothly from ordering(thanks mike) and install by a very nice young man.System seems to all be working,watched netflix most of the day. it is a lot different and will take some getting used to but i think we are going to like it. we upgraded to a samsung 55in 4k 8500 and the hopper3 is a nice addition. thank you Dish

So one thing I noticed is I stayed on the Western Arc with the Hopper 3 (as I said above he didn't replace the dish, just the LNB). From reading these forums I thought we would be switched to the Eastern Arc. I am right in the middle of the country, about an hour west of the Mississippi River. Not sure that is matters, just something I noticed. I will say even though my internet is too slow to access any 4K content the picture is much nicer on my brand new Vizio 4K TV than my 3 year old LG HDTV.

Id like to add that my RAID WD EHD, which has USB 3.0, makes transfers real fast to the H3 in the 3.0 port. Very convenient when you have to move a lot of OTA stuff.

Got the H3 yesterday and loving it... Will take a little but will def get used to the new layout... Tech called another tech and tried to tell me the 40 remote was having trouble and didn't work well with H3 but told him I would still pair and try it out... Netflix works on H3 but 4k Joey tells me to check back 2/18... Love the 4k Joey... The speed is incredible...

H3 froze up once and when it reset the EHD 1 then was renamed EHD 2 and the EHD 2 was renamed EH1

Search feature used to show me all showings but tried to search a movie last night and all I could come up with is record now or next showing... Never saw all the listings

Have channel pics on guide and everything seems to work well so far... Very minor issues and dish out did themselves...

Funny thing is I had to do a few recordings for last night and was trying to figure out which recording to do so there were no conflicts... Haha then I remembered I had 17 tuners

If they don't change the source, the DVR isn't going to restore the thrown out detail going from 1920*1080 to 1440*1080.... No way, no how...

Do you really believe that DirecTV isn't throwing out detail with compression and then recreating it with their processing algorithms? The Hopper 3 with the latest technology and very fast processor, combined with the upscaling of your 4k TV is going to give you a superb picture. That's what I am seeing with my Hopper 3 and Samsung 4k TV (updated with the latest Evolution box). Take the plunge. DirecTV's boxes are not going to catch up for quite a while with the technology distraction from the merger with AT&T.

Reactions: lparsons21
Just curious, but any speculation or rumors on when some of the "missing" features, like the 50.0 remote and sports mosaic are going to be available?
I think the voice commands are one of the things I was most excited about ;). I love having my Xbox change the volume, or channel and turn on and off just by talking to it as I walk into the room.

OK, I just had a minor freak out when the Hopper 3 would not turn on from either the 52 remote, 40 remote, or the front panel. It was working fine last night after install. The 4K Joey was working fine. I was PO'd that I didn't notice last night the tech plugged the Hopper 3 into the wall instead of the surge suppressor (my husband noticed but didn't tell me). I unplugged it for a minute then plugged it in to the surge suppressor, it rebooted a couple of times and it seems to be working fine now. I hope this isn't a regular occurrence. I also plugged in my external hard drive into the USB 3.0 when it was off and a few minutes after turning on the Hopper recognized it. I am transferring a few shows from the external HD to the Hopper 3 now (when trying to do it from the Joey it said it would transfer to the Joey's hard drive?!?) and it seems like the speed is similar to the previous transfer (USB 2.0 speed), so I guess it's a waste of the 3.0 USB port.

OK, I just had a minor freak out when the Hopper 3 would not turn on from either the 52 remote, 40 remote, or the front panel. It was working fine last night after install. The 4K Joey was working fine. I was PO'd that I didn't notice last night the tech plugged the Hopper 3 into the wall instead of the surge suppressor (my husband noticed but didn't tell me). I unplugged it for a minute then plugged it in to the surge suppressor, it rebooted a couple of times and it seems to be working fine now. I hope this isn't a regular occurrence. I also plugged in my external hard drive into the USB 3.0 when it was off and a few minutes after turning on the Hopper recognized it. I am transferring a few shows from the external HD to the Hopper 3 now (when trying to do it from the Joey it said it would transfer to the Joey's hard drive?!?) and it seems like the speed is similar to the previous transfer (USB 2.0 speed), so I guess it's a waste of the 3.0 USB port.
Unless you do a lot of DishAnywhere and watch shows that are on the EHD, I'd leave the stuff on the EHD. You can watch any of them directly off the EHD from Hopper and Joey locations.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)