Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

Except that DirecTV SWM splitters are not approved for DISH installs, period. Sure, they might work but there's no way we're using them. It just makes sense to spend the couple of extra bucks and do a quality job using the properly specced parts.
I get that, I really do. However, using a SWM switch in place of the network hub by no means takes away from my install, nor means that the job is done poorly. I have done many mods on installs in the past that allowed me to accomplish what (without the mod) would've never been done. If none of us tested new ways of doing things we would still be installing 64 switches! Maybe dish, because of us testing in the field, will come up with a similar switch...

All VIP receivers are 'used equipment' so...

Using used DirecTV equipment for a DISH install is definitely NOT an accepted practice.
No, it is not. I constantly test new things to see what works and didn't mean to suggest that we all go out and use used equipment. I really put my foot in my mouth implying that we use SWM Switches. Try them at your shop and let your DNSC contacts know what works.

I get that, I really do. However, using a SWM switch in place of the network hub by no means takes away from my install, nor means that the job is done poorly. I have done many mods on installs in the past that allowed me to accomplish what (without the mod) would've never been done. If none of us tested new ways of doing things we would still be installing 64 switches! Maybe dish, because of us testing in the field, will come up with a similar switch...

Are you a DISH beta tester and are you testing DISH approved equipment?

IMO your job isn't to experiment with DirecTV parts as you install DISH equipment for DISH customers. Your job is to use approved parts and do the install in an approved manner. If DISH audits your installs you will not only be charged back but you will probably be in pretty big trouble.

Glad you aren't touching my system. :confused:
i did this on my system. Not on a customers system. Maybe dish will to come up with a similar switch (because we try different setups in our shops or our own systems). I didn't think through the whole "approved equipment" thing before I posted that. Not a brilliant thought on my part.

Are you a DISH beta tester and are you testing DISH approved equipment?

IMO your job isn't to experiment with DirecTV parts as you install DISH equipment for DISH customers. Your job is to use approved parts and do the install in an approved manner. If DISH audits your installs you will not only be charged back but you will probably be in pretty big trouble.
I haven't used ANY none compliant equipment on ANY customer installs. I was excited that I had figured out that it would work and shot off my mouth that we could maybe "save a buck" before I thought through the implications of what I was suggesting.

Reactions: DWS44 and JSheridan
i did this on my system. Not on a customers system. Maybe dish will to come up with a similar switch (because we try different setups in our shops or our own systems). I didn't think through the whole "approved equipment" thing before I posted that. Not a brilliant thought on my part.

DISH did come up with a similar switch, it's called a Hybrid Hub. :)

I am aware of the hybrid hub. However, this is not a Single Wire Multi switch. If it were an SWM switch I would've had no need to try it. Plus, it would seem that we could possibly come up with a multi port SWM switch simular to what Direct uses, instead of splitters behind the hub. Less parts = less parts to fail. I just like trying new (and hopefully smarter) ways of getting things done.

I just like trying new (and hopefully smarter) ways of getting things done.
Not to pile on because I do believe you see your error but what I heard in your words was "hay guys, we can save a buck by taking used crap from old DTV installs and put them in new Dish installs, cha ching".

And when that old crap dies the customer gets charged $90 for a service call.

What are you referring to as a Switch?
Are you talking about a green label swim splitter, or an actual Swm 8 or 16 Multi-switch?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

First, give the Hopper a few days to settle in. Then add your EHD and it should see it. Next, you have a few options for your guide background. None of them look anything like the old interface but you get used to it. To change the backgrounds press Home twice on your remote. Now go to Settings and then Guide. Then go to Color Theme and make your changes...

Will a USB hub work with H3 to connect multiple EHD's?

Morning! I just upgraded to the Hopper 3 Friday and I have a few questions.
1) If I'm watching something live on TV and I rewind, I used to be able to hit the stop button and it would go to end, where TV was live. Is there a way to do this with the Hopper 3 remote? The select button only shows "close, record, record series, and more episodes"
2) My second question is similar to the first. If a show is recording and I select start over and start from the beginning, I want to stop watching, but not stop the recording. Is there an option that I'm missing to do that?

Thanks for taking a look.

1) If I'm watching something live on TV and I rewind, I used to be able to hit the stop button and it would go to end, where TV was live. Is there a way to do this with the Hopper 3 remote? The select button only shows "close, record, record series, and more episodes"
2) My second question is similar to the first. If a show is recording and I select start over and start from the beginning, I want to stop watching, but not stop the recording. Is there an option that I'm missing to do that?

Thanks for taking a look.

#1 - Press and hold the 'Back' button for Live TV.

#2 - AFAIK the easiest way to do that is to change channels.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum. :)

How do we the latest software update? Just had H3 installed and the software date is U309 1/26/2016. I'm sure there is newer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)