Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

They came at 4pm. Left before 8. I think. My 5 TV Hopper 3 system is installed. Haven't enjoyed it much, but I think it is going to be much better than the VIP receivers I have continued to use for the last eight or nine years. I don't anticipate any problems. I appreciate the information and help I was able to receive here. I'm really excited. Thank you.

Just got reminded of another great H3 thing. Spent the week at the beach and with H1 and H2 half the time D.A. was useless because the tuner usage. No issue all week. Love my H3 (trying to forget 04 era) :)

Free HBO or Showtime weekends, go crazy with the Program Guide recording everything you see that interests you. I did that last month with HBO and we just watched "Confirmation" last night. I had three or four events overlapped and nary a Recording Conflict to be found! Love it!

simple question on the Hopper 3. On my old VIP722 I could click on a program and have it automatically switch channels when the program came on. Now's its just recording options. Is there a way to do this?

simple question on the Hopper 3. On my old VIP722 I could click on a program and have it automatically switch channels when the program came on. Now's its just recording options. Is there a way to do this?

If you're talking about an Auto Tune timer then yes, the H3 has them. Just set a timer to Record This and go into the timer section and edit it to say Auto Tune.

Reactions: 7racer
Long time Dish customer, upgraded this week to a Hopper 3 plus one Joey 2 from a 10 year old VIP622. I made the request through Satellite Guys and while the back and forth messaging took over an hour, I was scheduled for the upgrade within 48 hours. No charge for the upgrade, just an increase in the DVR fee Joey fee. Had to extend commitment two years.

The dish installer couldn't be nicer, no complaints that he had to go up on a two story roof to replace the antenna. He ran all new cables as the squirrels decided the old coax made for a good meal. The whole installation and programming the remotes took about two hours. He said to give the receiver a day or two to settle in. He was right as the first day search didn't work but was fine day two. I plugged my external hard drive on day two and it quickly populated the list of recordings, even on the Joey. External hard drive responds ridiculously faster than before.

My office HDTV got the Joey and the existing coax in the house worked fine. After the installer left I connected my 50' R/G/B & audio cable that runs to the upstairs bedroom Plasma TV. Works great with my 40.0 UHF remote. Only downside is bedroom TV has to share the output of the Hopper 3. The R/G/B & audio cable to the bedroom saved $7/mo. versus adding another Joey.

I even got my old 20.0 IR remote to work with the Hopper 3 so my wife and I have our own remotes. Not sure if I will get used to the 52.0 remote, the 40.0 (and the 20.0) are easier to use in the dark since we know where the buttons are.

Overall, we like the Hopper 3 a lot. Still can't used to the auto hop, we keep reaching for the remotes during commercials!

Thank you Satellite Guys,

Lou

Reactions: John Campbell
Long time Dish customer, upgraded this week to a Hopper 3 plus one Joey 2 from a 10 year old VIP622. I made the request through Satellite Guys and while the back and forth messaging took over an hour, I was scheduled for the upgrade within 48 hours. No charge for the upgrade, just an increase in the DVR fee Joey fee. Had to extend commitment two years.

The dish installer couldn't be nicer, no complaints that he had to go up on a two story roof to replace the antenna. He ran all new cables as the squirrels decided the old coax made for a good meal. The whole installation and programming the remotes took about two hours. He said to give the receiver a day or two to settle in. He was right as the first day search didn't work but was fine day two. I plugged my external hard drive on day two and it quickly populated the list of recordings, even on the Joey. External hard drive responds ridiculously faster than before.

My office HDTV got the Joey and the existing coax in the house worked fine. After the installer left I connected my 50' R/G/B & audio cable that runs to the upstairs bedroom Plasma TV. Works great with my 40.0 UHF remote. Only downside is bedroom TV has to share the output of the Hopper 3. The R/G/B & audio cable to the bedroom saved $7/mo. versus adding another Joey.

I even got my old 20.0 IR remote to work with the Hopper 3 so my wife and I have our own remotes. Not sure if I will get used to the 52.0 remote, the 40.0 (and the 20.0) are easier to use in the dark since we know where the buttons are.

Overall, we like the Hopper 3 a lot. Still can't used to the auto hop, we keep reaching for the remotes during commercials!

Thank you Satellite Guys,

Lou
Slap a roku 4 in the bedroom then mirror your phone to the roku and use Dish Anywhere to watch anything you want in the bedroom.

I know for a fact it works with android but should work with iphones.

Reactions: gregleg
.Since the last update I have this issue....When I hit the DVR button it shows all my recordings but it does not show my external DVR....if I unplug it and plug it back in and it does show it but the problem is when I turn The Hopper off and then on again it disappeares... Any clues...thanks

Ordering was a bit of a chore as the CSR said it wasn't available. Once I convinced he that it was, she did what was necessary to get the order going. Worst part was the waiting to get to the CSR.

Install was easy and quick with no glitches along the way. Tech removed my HWS and SuperJoey and put the H3 into place. After that it was maybe 30 minutes to get it activated, he waited until it finished populated, and for me to restore the backup. He also got a nice tip for a job well done.

Overall I love this newest of the Hopper line though I'm not enamored of the remote. Fortunately for me I use my Harmony One!

Restored a few shows from my EHD to see if that would work well, and it did it with no issues.

The speed and smoothness of this box is just amazing. Much faster than anything I've previously used.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Ordering was a bit of a chore as the CSR said it wasn't available. Once I convinced he that it was, she did what was necessary to get the order going. Worst part was the waiting to get to the CSR.

Install was easy and quick with no glitches along the way. Tech removed my HWS and SuperJoey and put the H3 into place. After that it was maybe 30 minutes to get it activated, he waited until it finished populated, and for me to restore the backup. He also got a nice tip for a job well done.

Overall I love this newest of the Hopper line though I'm not enamored of the remote. Fortunately for me I use my Harmony One!

Restored a few shows from my EHD to see if that would work well, and it did it with no issues.

The speed and smoothness of this box is just amazing. Much faster than anything I've previously used.

I have to say, that I do like the Hopper 3 better than the Hopper 2. I got the Hopper 2 after talking my wife into doing this, and it just kept shutting off or shutting down on its own. After so many Private Messages, Dish sent me the same installer/tech and he did some wiring changes, then talked me into getting the Hopper 3. I do like it a lot better, and it rarely or never shuts down on its own. I have noticed with the Joey in our living room, that when I am watching Netflix, that the Joey will shut down, and I unplugged it for 10 to 15 seconds, and it does not do it. Speaking of Netflix, just last night, I asked why they can't have a Netflix button on the Dish Remote. The Dish Rep said that he would pass that on. I also asked about YouTube being added as one of the apps. The experience with the Hopper 3 has been really great and I am very pleased with it.

I upgraded myself Saturday 6/11/16 and it took quite a while to get my dish peaked.( See my thread where I detailed my day in the hopper forum for details) But I figured it out and I love the new Hopper 3. So far the only problem is ota recordings ,but I expect that to be resolved by this fall. So I got a new hopper 3, 4k joey and joey 2.0 installed. They are all very fast in response . This is the third generation of Hopper that I installed myself using diagrams off the Sat guys website. Without this site ,I would never know how to do the installs ,so thanks to this website for the knowledge. :bigok

Reactions: charlesrshell
Moved to a new house last week; Dish came on Thursday to do the "move" and upgrade me from a 722 to a Hopper 3/Joey setup, all for free.

Best installation experience ever! The installer went into the crawl space & ran the necessary coax by replacing an old cable TV coax run. Was able to fish it up into a hole in the drywall that I already had open. Did both the Hopper 3 & Joey without any new holes or any sort of wiring mess. Put up the dish & made it all work in about 2 hours.

Loving the Hopper 3 so far. Having some HDMI problems with the Pandora app, but otherwise works very well. Still figuring it all out. The only thing I'm really wanting is a Bluetooth keyboard capability to make it easier for entering passwords, etc. & searching Netflix, etc.

I upgraded myself Saturday 6/11/16 and it took quite a while to get my dish peaked.( See my thread where I detailed my day in the hopper forum for details) But I figured it out and I love the new Hopper 3. So far the only problem is ota recordings ,but I expect that to be resolved by this fall. So I got a new hopper 3, 4k joey and joey 2.0 installed. They are all very fast in response . This is the third generation of Hopper that I installed myself using diagrams off the Sat guys website. Without this site ,I would never know how to do the installs ,so thanks to this website for the knowledge. :bigok
I would never have enough courage or smarts to do this myself. That is great and Congratulations on this.

I would never have enough courage or smarts to do this myself. That is great and Congratulations on this.
I remember thinking when I was a child i'll never memorize 26 letters of the alphabet and now I know over 20,000 words.

Never cut yourself short... :)

I'm curious as to the percentage of members here who got a Hopper 3 first timer for an installer. It has to be close to 90%.
Mine was first. took five hours. Work order told him to change the lnb but he said he didn't need to because I had a Hopper working. Four hours later he changed the lnb and replaced the hub with a duo node. Jerk.