Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It will take time TheKrell. I am user fluent so to speak for both the 54.0 and 40.0 remote controls. You need to get a few 40.0 remotes to use and then slowly use the 54.0 till you learn everything. Also give your new Hopper 3 system time to fully populate and she will work mucho better. Attached are a couple work sheets I made my damn self when I first got a 54.0 remote. They may be a little out of date but will help you to get thru things till you get a 40.0 remote.
Check out this link for the 54.0 remote control to see if it will help you any The Krell.

54.0 Remote Control Overview | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support

I want the 40.0. My tech told me all I had to do is call Dish and ask for them, and they would send them out for free. Alas, Dish won't do that. It looks like they are $20/ea.
Nothing has 40 remotes anymore except Wallys and you'll be lucky to find a tech that still has any on his van

Reactions: charlesrshell
It took my mom and dad about a week to use the voice 54.0 remote control and they don't even use the voice feature. My Dad had to learn to back out of everything and now it comes second hand. The older remote controls have more buttons but I found that they aren't necessary once you learn the 54.0 remote control. You adapt.

Thanks guys.

I now believe I need one 40.0 to control the H3 in my family room. The Joey remotes I'm going to replace with IR remotes. If that goes well, and nobody erupts in fountains of disgust and despair, then we've learned the CUI. After that, we may dig these voice remotes back out of the drawer and use them.

Thanks guys.

I now believe I need one 40.0 to control the H3 in my family room. The Joey remotes I'm going to replace with IR remotes. If that goes well, and nobody erupts in fountains of disgust and despair, then we've learned the CUI. After that, we may dig these voice remotes back out of the drawer and use them.
I actually use a Harmony 700 remote with my Hopper 3. For all intents and purposes it mirrors a 40 remote as well as do all the turning on and off of the components that I have attached to the system as well as change inputs as needed on the TV and AVR. I do keep my 54 remote on a side table for use when I want to use voice.

Thanks guys.

I did a mixture of both remotes at my primary TV while learning the 54.0. I primarily only use the voice control to search for movies. It does a super good job for that. The 54.0 back lite is awesome in our bedroom to see the buttons at nite. My two WJs are in spare bedrooms so I use the 40.0 for them. When company use those bedrooms they would probably go nuts using the 54.0. In my man cave in the garage the primary remote is the 40.0. On Sundays when I check the scheduled timers for the week I like using the 40.0. The 40.0 is faster using the Skip Fwd and Skip Back buttons to advance or go backwards in the guide to jump to the next day or back. The 540.0 you have to hold down the Skip Fwd or Skip Back buttons a long time to jump a day or go back.

I actually use a Harmony 700 remote with my Hopper 3.

I think that won't work for my H3 because it's in a closet in the basement. ;)
The 540.0 you have to hold down the Skip Fwd or Skip Back buttons a long time to jump a day or go back.

I noticed that; it's one of the many gripes I have about that remote. :mad: I am delighted to hear that the 40.0 still does the right thing to advance a day.

Thanks guys.

Sorry, still disgusted :p :)

I think that won't work for my H3 because it's in a closet in the basement. ;)

I noticed that; it's one of the many gripes I have about that remote. :mad: I am delighted to hear that the 40.0 still does the right thing to advance a day.

I totally disagree. I like having less buttons so that the ones on the remote re mutli-functional

This thread has gotten so long TheKrell I am not sure what receiver you are coming from to the Hopper 3. When you get your 40.0 remote control check out the 40.0 color button chart to see what the color buttons will do for your Hopper 3. Not many functions but can come in handy sometimes.

Reactions: TheKrell
lol, that's what I say about the 54 :)

You have to admit HipKat the 54.0 remote control is a shock for a lot of us that have used the 40.0 or earlier remotes for a long time. It is a learning curve to get use to the 54.0 but once learned I agree with you. I think it is faster than the 40.0 and the back lite feature is awesome.

After I finally got used to the tiles, I can see some advantages.

I use Harmony also. It is possible to set up an IR repeater. And you can use Alexa to control the Hopper. Do you have an Echo?

I think with a Harmony Hub Alexa can control all your components. But the one time I tried using Alexa to control the HWS, I found it far slower than using a remote.

Shall I ready a guest room for you for Plan B after your MiL gets here? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

The 40.0 is faster using the Skip Fwd and Skip Back buttons to advance or go backwards in the guide to jump to the next day or back. The 540.0 you have to hold down the Skip Fwd or Skip Back buttons a long time to jump a day or go back.

I got my old UHF Pro 6.3 going in IR mode to control a Joey. It's skip forward button does just what it does on the 54. Are you sure the 40 is different?
And you can use Alexa to control the Hopper. Do you have an Echo?

I have an Echo Dot and a Fire TV Stick. Lag and complexity seem to argue against this, in addition to your speed criticism.
Shall I ready a guest room for you for Plan B after your MiL gets here?

That's OK. We have a spare TV and I will buy another Fire TV Stick for her to use. Or do you literally mean "for me"? I'm on good terms with my MIL.

I got my old UHF Pro 6.3 going in IR mode to control a Joey. It's skip forward button does just what it does on the 54. Are you sure the 40 is different?
While in the Guide how does your UHF Pro 6.3 Skip Fwd and Skip Back buttons perform to advance and go back a day? Do you just press the buttons or do you have to hold down the buttons like the 54.0 remote?

While in the Guide how does your UHF Pro 6.3 Skip Fwd and Skip Back buttons perform to advance and go back a day? Do you just press the buttons or do you have to hold down the buttons like the 54.0 remote?

I never tried that. The press and hold idea is unappealing to me, because I have no clue how many days it will skip forward. I only want 1 day per button-press. If I have to press-and-hold, I might as well use the 54. (I haven't tried that yet on the 54 either.)

I never tried that. The press and hold idea is unappealing to me, because I have no clue how many days it will skip forward. I only want 1 day per button-press. If I have to press-and-hold, I might as well use the 54. (I haven't tried that yet on the 54 either.)
While in the Guide with the 40.0, you just press the Fwd / Back button one time to go to the next day or back a day. You do not have to press and hold. With the 54.0 you have to press and hold the button down for a long time to advance or go back one day. Both remotes do one day at a time in the guide.

Edited with correct info.

Last edited:
While in the Guide with the 40.0, you just press the Skip Fwd / Skip Back button one time to go to the next day or back a day. You do not have to press and hold. With the 54.0 you have to press and hold the button down for a long time to advance or go back one day. Both remotes do one day at a time in the guide.
Not quite, on the 40.0 you press the skip forward/skip back buttons to advance/reverse 2 1/2 hours and press the FF/ rewind buttons to advance/reverse by a day.

EDIT to add, that also includes the 20.x and 21.x IR remotes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)