Oh how I wish I could install Voom myself

Onrac

Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Hello, first post here. Hope to be around with more; however, as it stands I have yet to get voom. The installer came out looked at the trees, started screaming "You better wanna cut some trees down". I am thinking to myself, I have already done the direction and used "common sense" on the elevation. However, installer said I would have to remove limbs before he would even attempt to install it. Even though I saw the blue sky through the elevation and direction. Weak!!! Lame!!! Super LAME!!! I explained to Voom installer of the elevation and the presumption on my part that it would clear the trees accross the road. He said, what is the elevation for Voom again. I immediately thought, oh NO. Guy not installing knows elevation, guy installing doesn't.

If I could get my hands on the Voom equipment, I could try it first, then cut as needed. However, I would rather not cut anything down, for one the cost. No clue what it runs to remove 2 limbs from pine trees. And 2nd, what is the point to cut if it would work without cutting. To add to the delimma, it is a rental house, and I would presume it would be prudent to ask before removing limbs.

Anyone had any experience with limb removal and cost, and I presume there is no way to do it myself-get equipment and install (if other posts on this forum are an indication). Furthermore, the installers probably won't ground it, so I will have to redo anyhow.

I know this is pointless post, but any info would be appreaciated, just venting I guess.

Did the "installer" have a ladder and go on the roof at all? Did he have the correct satellite locating tool similar to the one below? If not he is no professional, I just love these installers that tell me "I can find (whatever) satellite just by looking at the sky". You need the right tool to pinpoint any satellite in the Clarke Belt also, a site survey can't be rushed as magnetic deviation has to be taken into account!

http://www.dmsiusa.com/site_survey.htm

Hey Guys,

Well the front yard is the best place for it, actually there is only one place for it, which the installer did use the tool you mentioned at. And even let me look through it. He mentioned that one leaf could block the signal. Not sure if it had any type of elevation reading on it, now I wish I would have looked through it longer. However, as for the direction, I would guess that I had approximately 5 degrees to the east for the signal without lingering in the one leaf zone. We both agreed the line of site appeared to be open (tight), but he said that means his survey tool had to be perfect. However, PSB: you did mention about the magnetic deviation which possible, I guess, could take the actual line of sight into the trees.

Oh, I am in Virginia, and get a elevation of 44.

Plus installers are told not to install unless there is at least 10 deg. clearance all round, seems he knows his stuff, he would get in trouble if you cancel service because of "No Line of Sight" Where there is a will there is a way.....good luck, let us know of any progress!

*PSB: Thanks for the 10 degrees info, now I can concentrate on the tree issue.*
Didn't see your post before this post:

Anway, I am thinking that the limb removal probably wouldn't cost more than $100-150. Heck they will take a whole tree down for less than $1000.

I will ponder it some more tomorrow when I can look at the view again. After that I may consider to email through the address that was given.

Thanks for the responses.

Now, if I only wasn't afraid of heights :eek: I mean my ladder was more sturdy :D

Oh the landlord call. "Excuse me madam, may I cut some of your trees down?" :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)