Who will win?

• Ohio State

Votes: 69 61.6%
  • Florida

Votes: 43 38.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Paul. It is not fare to take away the bowl games from the smaller schools. What good is it to win the MAC if you cant get an automatic bid into some bowl. They will never (or once in a blue moon) be in the top 10 so they would never get a chance at the title.

You can have a playoff system and still have the bowl games for the schools that are not in the running for the national championship. All you need to do is take the BCS games and change them into a playoff for the top 4 to 8 teams.

You can have a playoff system and still have the bowl games for the schools that are not in the running for the national championship. All you need to do is take the BCS games and change them into a playoff for the top 4 to 8 teams.
I agree with this idea, with the exception on needing more teams, only 8 would leave too many good teams out.
I suggest at LEAST 12 and better yet 16 team.
Half would only miss class for 1 week, university presidents.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I agree withthis idea, with the exception on needing more teams, only 8 would leave too many good teams out.
I suggest at LEAST 12 and better yet 16 team.
Half would only miss class for 1 week, university presidents.

Jimbo

I agree and have the top 4 or 6 teams have a bye week.

I agree and have the top 4 or 6 teams have a bye week.

That could be done, the way I figure it.
You have to all end your season on the last w/e of Dec.
Do away with the Conference Championship games, they are only to make more money anyways.
Seed the top 16 thru the BCS polls
IF we go with 12 teams, the top 4 would have a bye.
Start a playoff on the 1st w/e in Dec.
16 teams would get down to 2 on the last w/e of Dec.
Take a week off between games and play the NC game on the next Saturday.

Divy up the remaining bowl games to the rest of the shools not in the top 16.

Top seeds first game is at home.

Still a work in progress, suggestions are welcome:)
btw, any of the top 16 teams can compete for the NC game, not only the conference Champs

Jimbo

That could be done, the way I figure it.
You have to all end your season on the last w/e of Dec.
Do away with the Conference Championship games, they are only to make more money anyways.
Seed the top 16 thru the BCS polls
IF we go with 12 teams, the top 4 would have a bye.
Start a playoff on the 1st w/e in Dec.
16 teams would get down to 2 on the last w/e of Dec.
Take a week off between games and play the NC game on the next Saturday.

Divy up the remaining bowl games to the rest of the shools not in the top 16.

Top seeds first game is at home.

Still a work in progress, suggestions are welcome:)
btw, any of the top 16 teams can compete for the NC game, not only the conference Champs

Jimbo

Sad part is it's a good plan but the presidents will never go for it, they make to much money the way it is now.

I'm tired of them saying the players will miss to many classes, how about basketball tournaments, The Final Four, The Alaskan Shootout plus more, the players don't miss to many classes doing that.

The Basketball teams play more than 1 game a week also.

Come on Paul,
You want to reward a team that is 7-5, slightly better than average, I wouldn't doubt that a 6-6 team might get in.

What ever happened to rewarding teams with good to great records with a trip to a bowl game.

I still think there needs to be requirements to get to one, in a 12 game season, I think you should have to win 8 games, of course that doesn't work for Notre Dame, they always get in to a high profile game ....Regardless....
ND is taking a BCS bowl game that should go to another team, at least this year.

Do they really belong in a BCS bowl game ?
I don't think they should even be in the top 10.

Jimbo

You reward teams with good to great records with good to great bowls, just like they do it now. Great record, BCS championship. 7 and 5, fleabag bowl game. The prestige of the championship, Rose, Sugar, Orange, etc. are not diminished in any way.

the only problem with a playoff.......now, you have college teams playing as many games as the pros. somewhere, along the way, these kids need to go to classes and take final exams.

you would have to cut the regular season back to 10 games, with maybe a 4 or 8 team playoff!

the only problem with a playoff.......now, you have college teams playing as many games as the pros. somewhere, along the way, these kids need to go to classes and take final exams.

you would have to cut the regular season back to 10 games, with maybe a 4 or 8 team playoff!

nope, no go
You only add 4 games for the top two teams, the rest fall out each week.
So essentually, the top 16 teams play 13, top 8 play 14, top 4 play 15, and the two top play 16.

Also this way when the players that go to the pro's get there, they won't HIT the WALL at game 12, advantage NFL.

Jimbo

Sad part is it's a good plan but the presidents will never go for it, they make to much money the way it is now.

Wrong answer here too.

They would make astronomical amounts of money if the went to a playoff system, much more than currently.

Jimbo

Wrong answer here too.

They would make astronomical amounts of money if the went to a playoff system, much more than currently.

Jimbo

The schools would not make any more money than they already make for playing in the bowls today.

nope, no go
You only add 4 games for the top two teams, the rest fall out each week.
So essentually, the top 16 teams play 13, top 8 play 14, top 4 play 15, and the two top play 16.

Also this way when the players that go to the pro's get there, they won't HIT the WALL at game 12, advantage NFL.

Jimbo

So you would want the top 8 teams to go through finals without having any chance to study for them. I know that many players take cupcake classes but their are some that do get a good education. This is why you take the top 4 teams and play on January 1 and then again a week later. This would allow all of the players to take their finals and still compete for the championship.

You will never take the controversy out of a playoff system either. Why not just take the top 4 and call it good.

So you would want the top 8 teams to go through finals without having any chance to study for them. I know that many players take cupcake classes but their are some that do get a good education. This is why you take the top 4 teams and play on January 1 and then again a week later. This would allow all of the players to take their finals and still compete for the championship.

You will never take the controversy out of a playoff system either. Why not just take the top 4 and call it good.

With just the top 4 teams you are losing a lot of good teams, how would you feel if you were USC, Louisville, Wisconsin and Boise State.

If your gonna do a playoff you have to make it fair to the best teams, in my opinion you have to have at least the top 10 teams.

Why can't the y take their finals AFTER the bowl season, your only talking about the teams in the championship, top 8 teams. I think the school would accept this.

And you will make much more money than you would now.

sorry, jimbo, i gotta disagree.

as much as i love college football, as long as you are a student, you need to be in class and you need to take exams. that probably isn't a popular answer but these people are student athletes.....first and foremost. most of them never play professional sports!!!

sorry, jimbo, i gotta disagree.

as much as i love college football, as long as you are a student, you need to be in class and you need to take exams. that probably isn't a popular answer but these people are student athletes.....first and foremost. most of them never play professional sports!!!
iceturkee;751338 and JAG72
Gee,
What does the Division II and III schools do ?
They seem to do it quite well.

The Division I, BB guy's are gone for tournaments over the 2 weeks around now, but they seem to figure out how to do it.

Jimbo

but, i believe, there regular schedule isn't as long as the 1-A guys. i know they didn't add the 12th game....not sure, if they play 11.

iceturkee;751338 and JAG72
Gee,
What does the Division II and III schools do ?
They seem to do it quite well.

The Division I, BB guy's are gone for tournaments over the 2 weeks around now, but they seem to figure out how to do it.

Jimbo

Sorry, iceturkee. Point, set and match go to Jimbo on this one. As i said in an earlier post, and reiterated by Jimbo, Every other league gets this done without a hitch. There are no logical reasons for not having a playoff. It's time to get this done.

i'm not against a playoff. what i have a problem with is forgetting these kids are students first and athletes, second. i'm fearful a playoff system would cut into school time, unless you cut back the regular schedule.

but i believe a playoff would resolve the BCS mess. please don't misunderstand.

i'm not against a playoff. what i have a problem with is forgetting these kids are students first and athletes, second. i'm fearful a playoff system would cut into school time, unless you cut back the regular schedule.

but i believe a playoff would resolve the BCS mess. please don't misunderstand.

I too am all for STUDENT / Athletes, and I think there are ways then school can accomadate the players as well.

That said, the majority of the university money comes from Sports, and Football is the main profit maker.

Jimbo

That said, the majority of the university money comes from Sports, and Football is the main profit maker.

Football is not the main profit maker for the majority of schools but it does make a ton of money for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammad ALI poll from ESPN

NCAA players going into the draft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)