Ok FaT Air You make a lot of sense, KU-Band it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blueboat

Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Tonto Basin Arizona
Ok FaT Air You make a lot of sense on the KU-band, I usually bight off too much, just got done building a 3000 sq ft house at the age of 59 took me 16 months and I am worn out.

So I hope the forum members can help me miss the pit falls of KU-band equipment.

My budget is $500. or so.

I am thinking a 36 inch motorized dish don't know why just thought bigger was better please correct me if I am wrong. Does location play a part on dish size? I live in the middle of Arizona, if that helps. My latitude is 33.846449 and longitude is -111.303169

How about some recommendations on a Dish and the size.

Receiver, I don't know what all the bells and whistles are.
Are there some that record in HD?
Are there some that do blind searches?
What would be or is one of the better receiver's that you would recommend?

I need a motor, actuator to turn the dish recommendations.

I also need something to tell the motor, actuator how far to go or how much to turn is that right?
Thank you for your help.
Mike in Arizona

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum and the Hobby!!
Lots of members here will recommend this system for a start: http://satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413
That dish size will be good for your area, you do not need larger for Ku band, unless you are in Hawaii or Alaska. That system does not include the motor, but it is best to set up on a satellite without a motor and get it aligned properly. Then adding the motor is much easier to accomplish. The receiver will work with any H-H motor that has USALS to go to the correct position. Good Luck.

As long as your dish to receiver cable run is under 75 ft, the Sat-AV kit has everything you'll need. Except a pole if one has to be placed out 'in the yard'.
The receiver does not, and not many new generation receivers do, have a 'Ch3' output. HDMI preferred. R/L/V (Red/Blk/Yel) for baseband video connections or could be run to a modulator.
Just mentioned to make sure it's compatible with yours.

Should've gotten a 1.2m

You're going to have trouble on some S2 feeds

Also you can go miniBUDing with a 1.2m and get great reception of NHK World HD on C-band.

Heck, I started with a BUD that didn't do well at all on Ku band. Then found and got a 30 inch, and WOW! But always kept an 'eye out' and found another 30 inch, then a 1.2, then another. Last fall ran across a 1.0m. Whoo hooo. There's always forward progress to look forward to..

Heck, I started with a BUD that didn't do well at all on Ku band. Then found and got a 30 inch, and WOW! But always kept an 'eye out' and found another 30 inch, then a 1.2, then another. Last fall ran across a 1.0m. Whoo hooo. There's always forward progress to look forward to..

Well, I think I'm gonna take this advice (and other received here) to heart...Gonna forgo the BUD idea, and go straight to Ku. As I've mentioned I'm really only interested in the radio feeds and religious programming on G-19. IF (and I'm not) I were a TV guy, I think I'd dig playing with the different feeds.

The Ku Dish is much less for the wife to take in on the get-go, and while it (another hobby) may grow into something down the road...I'm not really ready to tackle something else right now.
I've found the 'package deal' on e-bay and have officially began hoarding my pennies to purchase in the next month or so. Till then I'm working on a install question post regarding multiple feeds from the initial 90cm dish.

Thanks Y'all (esp Blueboat for asking all the questions I had)

cale

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.