OK, final Rcvr input

Is there a sound difference that you can tell by going with banana plugs? Or is it just to look cleaner? I tried my twist crimp ones and they don't stay on so I'm considering on buying some new ones.

As long as you have a good connection the sound quality should be the same.

+1. Banana plugs are for a cleaner setup and they make for an easier disconnect/reconnect in the future. I have mine setup the old-fashioned way and plan on keeping it this way for now.

When I replaced my receiver a couple of months ago, I was so glad I had banana plugs! ;)
I just put the new receiver on top of the old one and was able to reconnect everything within a couple of minutes.

Elwaylite,
Cool that the new 'excitement' has arrived. What Klipsh sub are you getting and what will that run you?
You mentioned that you want to eventually replace your Polk front(s). Do you know what you want to replace them with?

When I replaced my receiver a couple of months ago, I was so glad I had banana plugs! ;)
I just put the new receiver on top of the old one and was able to reconnect everything within a couple of minutes.
Which banana plugs did you use? I have very limited space and if I bought some, it would be the angled kind. I am having a hard time finding that kind though.:(

Degree that Sub quality matters?

Though I have had my 5.1 for years I never researched subs (or other speakers much for that matter). If you can believe it, I was running my Klipsch Cornwalls as front L/R speakers. I recently changed fronts to V52's I had.

Anyway, please describe how and to what degree a higher grade of Sub improves the systems sound. To my untrained ear, the two KLH's I have seem to do a good job. The KLH's both bought at Costco years apart are:
ASW10-120B and KSUB-10. As the model #'s imply, they are both 10", 120 watt. (my AVR has two sub preouts)

Please forgive the er, ignorance. :eek:

Elwaylite,
Cool that the new 'excitement' has arrived. What Klipsh sub are you getting and what will that run you?
You mentioned that you want to eventually replace your Polk front(s). Do you know what you want to replace them with?

Buying this guy:

Klipsch - 10" 420W Powered Subwoofer - SUB-10

I asked for BBuy cards for Christmas, was originally going to use them on a rcvr, but the coupon code on the Denon at 6ave was too good. Going to use the g cards on the Klipsch. From what Ive read, this sub will be much better than the sub $200 Polk im using.

Im going to replace my Polks eventually with the two bookshelf and a center in the Def Tech Pro 1000 series line. Thats about a $700 cost, so itll be later next year. Im actually much happier with my polk floors and center once I put my better center back in action last month. It was very big, so I bought a smaller Polk center, it just didnt match up well in the sound dept. Im really only unsatisified with the sub now, the PSW10 is a pretty crappy polk sub line. But hey, I bought it on a budget and its served its purpose.

Though I have had my 5.1 for years I never researched subs (or other speakers much for that matter). If you can believe it, I was running my Klipsch Cornwalls as front L/R speakers. I recently changed fronts to V52's I had.

Anyway, please describe how and to what degree a higher grade of Sub improves the systems sound. To my untrained ear, the two KLH's I have seem to do a good job. The KLH's both bought at Costco years apart are:
ASW10-120B and KSUB-10. As the model #'s imply, they are both 10", 120 watt. (my AVR has two sub preouts)

Please forgive the er, ignorance. :eek:

No ignorance.

I run Klipsch KG5s as my mains. Not quite Cornwalls, but close. I recently added a sub and it makes quite a difference. First, don't bother with the $200 subs because they generally have an 8" driver and 100-200 watts. These subs are pretty much an extended woofer for typical satellite systems. They simply restore the bass that the small main speakers lack. You already have this with the Cornwalls.

What you want is something that provides significan bass at frequencies below 60 Hz. This is the bass you tend to feel instead of hearing. I bought a used Velodyne SPL-12 which has a hard cone 12" driver and a 1200W amplifier. I kept most of the upper bass going through the main speakers. That provides the stuff you can hear and gives good directional bass. The cutoffs are set to 60 Hz for the mains and about 70 Hz for the sub. The sub is what provides that chest pounding enhancement for theater effects; explosions, the footfalls of the monsters, earythquakes, etc.

The Velodyne provides clean sub bass sounds. I have had cheaper subs in the past, and as I said above, they simply provide extra bass. They tend to distort some and the sound comes out muddy, although it can be fairly loud. The Velodyne OTOH, gives clear as a bell low effects. When the jet fires off in Top Gun, you can hear and feel the individual pressure pulses of the turbine. In The Dark Knight, you could feel the individual tire treads hitting the pavement from the Batmobile. It is a difficult difference to explain, but it is the difference between low and lound and low, loud and accurate.

The best advice is to go take a favorite piece of source material and go find a good sub to demo. Once you hear it, you will understand.

Jayn,
Thanks for the info on subs. I will check them out nex time I am near a Magnolia site.

Your comment on the Klipsch L/R fronts peeks my curiosity. I love my Cornwalls, though my wife would prefer to lose the monsters from the living room. ;)
Using the Cornwalls with the small Bic America V52 Center (60hz - 20kHz, 75 watt, 90dB@1 watt, 1 meter), was a problem. I was always turning the volume up to hear the voices and jumping to turn it down when a loud event happened. I was a pain. (even with center set to +10dB). Sad to say, when I put V52's on top of the Cornwalls (very nice speaker stands! ;o) and used them instead as L & R front speakers. The front sound sounded much better, because it was balanced.

Is it possible to find a good center speaker that will match up with the Cornwalls, or would they always dominate? Having a 73" DLP, 2' away from the back wall and 5' high, I believe would eliminate the possability of an 'on top' ctr spkr location. Below in the 2 shelf stand, I am limited to 26.5" wide x 9.25" high for ctr spkr dimensions.

Thanks for any advice. Espesially if it means I have to explain to my wife, I really do NEED to keep the Klipschs. :)

Using the Cornwalls with the small Bic America V52 Center (60hz - 20kHz, 75 watt, 90dB@1 watt, 1 meter), was a problem. I was always turning the volume up to hear the voices and jumping to turn it down when a loud event happened. I was a pain. (even with center set to +10dB). Sad to say, when I put V52's on top of the Cornwalls (very nice speaker stands! ;o) and used them instead as L & R front speakers. The front sound sounded much better, because it was balanced.

Is it possible to find a good center speaker that will match up with the Cornwalls, or would they always dominate? Having a 73" DLP, 2' away from the back wall and 5' high, I believe would eliminate the possability of an 'on top' ctr spkr location. Below in the 2 shelf stand, I am limited to 26.5" wide x 9.25" high for ctr spkr dimensions.

Well, I'm a widower, so I can build a man cave without worry.

I used to use a KG3 as center and place it under and slightly to the side of the projector. I recently upgraded to a Klipsch RC-35 for the center. It uses a pair of 6.5" woofers and a newer design horn driver. The spec sheet says it is 7.9" high by 23.5" wide, so it would fit. The problem is that I bought this on closeout and it is no longer being manufactured. The current equivalent is probably the RC-62 RC-62 --- Center Channel,Klipsch Reference Series I have the speaker on a shelf just above my Toshiba 56" DLP though, and the KG5s are somewhat elevated as well. Works for me.

I set my amplifier to direct lower frequencies to the mains, and I have set the center to about 3 dB higher level than the KG5s. I get clean dialog and a nice full sound.

Which banana plugs did you use? I have very limited space and if I bought some, it would be the angled kind. I am having a hard time finding that kind though.:(
I use gold plated banana plugs from Acoustic Research. They are not angled though.
If your space is tight you can consider using spades instead. I use those in my audio-only system.
They are not as easy to use as banana plugs though.

Is there a Ctr spkr to balance with Klipsch COrnwall II's

PS. A few years after I bought the Cornwall II's (1983),
Cornwall II --- Floorstanding Loudspeaker - Klipsch Heritage Series
I started thinking these might more appropriate as LOUD speakers in clubs etc. For much bigger and louder environments than for a home theater. (I would love to be convinced that I am wrong. My wife... not so much. I did buy them for music to rock out loud back then. My neighbor's living room, right behind my bedroom wall, had the next model up, the La Scala. I was jealous (besides not being able to sleep on Fri. & Sat. nights.:rolleyes:
La Scala --- Floorstanding Loudspeaker - Klipsch Heritage Series

Basically, can I get very good and balanced front sound keeping the Cornwall's, or would I need to upgrade all three fronts to a good balance set?
PSS. What specs need to match between sides and ctr fronts?

Am I thread jacking Elwaylite's thread?

It just occurred that my queries might fall under high jacking this thread.
I got carried away after my initial question(s). If so, apologies to Elwaylite, et al. If members/moderators feel it more appropriate, I will go over to ' A/V Receivers, Amplifiers and Speakers' from here out on these speaker queries.
Thanks

Doesnt bother me, I already bought a rcvr :)

And the thread was already morphing into one about the Klipsch sub as well :)

BTW, I consider the Klipsch to be a reasonable sub, and not one of the extended bass ones I was discussing. Probably not as much punch or quite as clean as the Velodyne, but a reasonable price/performance tradeoff. Just wanted to throw that in lest you think I was putting down the Klipsch 12"

Basically, can I get very good and balanced front sound keeping the Cornwall's, or would I need to upgrade all three fronts to a good balance set?
PSS. What specs need to match between sides and ctr fronts?

Well, you can still buy the Cornwalls. For the BEST balance, you need to get a third one :D Try to integrate that into your theater.

And that's what I see as the tradeoff. Even the speaker manufacturers recognize this. You tend to see the centers with smaller woofers than the matched mains. Even when they are the same, you generally see compromises on box dimensions and placement. The mains tend to be vertical and have larger enclosures areound the woofers for bass reinforcement. The amplifier manufacturers recognize this as well and generally provide for directing lower bass to the mains. The lower bass is less directional, so moving it away from the higher frequencies generally doesn't hurt the overall sound.

The trick is to get the treble and dialog frequencies to match. I have an easier job because the KG series uses a composite horn that is similar to the newer designs. I can notice some differences when I am being picky, but it mostly works for me, and I like the fuller sound I am getting from the KG5s.

The Cornwalls though have a more serious horn, and that may be tougher to match. Klipsch originally built the Acadamy center as a match Academy, but that hasn't been built since 1994 and is quite rare.

I guess I would give the RC62 a try. Find a dealer with a good audition/return policy and bring it home for a few days. My problem with matching on the KG5s is that the RC62 is actually more accurate and cleaner on the treble and upper dialog frequencies. Thus, it might be a good match for the Cornwalls.

Elwaylite, what Polk sub do you have now?

My neighbor just came over and is starting his 5.1 system. He is looking at Klipsch Sub-10 ($400), Polk PSW-10 ($120 +), PSE125 ($350).

CNET seems to like both the Sub-10 & the PSW-10 pretty much the same at ? 3 1/2 stars.

What Polk sub are you upgrading from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)