Ok gurus - How to get data from dos system to XP.

Actually 'mem /debug' giving much more info about RAM/EMM taken by LH of modules. Could you add that output too ? It's important when you try to LH network components.

If you're trying to squeak out more available memory for ACAD, do you need your sound-card to work when ACAD is running ?

If you're trying to squeak out more available memory for ACAD, do you need your sound-card to work when ACAD is running ?
That's a good point. Actually I don't even know if it still works. I know the cd drive hasn't worked in a while but since I don't use this computer for anything other than Autocad, I never noticed. When something os working (Autocad), I tend to leave things alone and not look too close.:)

I used a freeware LapLink alike program and a null modem cable to transfer my AutoCAD 11 files over to a windows machine. The difference is that I used to be able to run DOS on a Windows machine and you can't reasonably do that anymore due to incompatibility of hard drive formats. An associate of mine uses an LS-120 floppy drive but Windows support may be problematic.

Networking DOS with Trumpet or Win3.11 is a painful option that wasn't worth the effort in my mind.

Long term, you need to find a better CAD program that will allow you to leave the DOS machine behind. AutoDesk does not offer such a program.

Just have a look at those links, it is easier that you might think:
So you have a DOS stack. Where does the SMB support come from?

Heaven forbid if you're using a large drive support driver like Disk Manager.

If you look around, there is a TCP/IP stack for the Commodore 64, but its applications are quite limited. The OP is looking for a production solution that doesn't require tearing down the machine. Using WFW is far and away easier if you're trying the TCP/IP method (although it has some funky limitations). High on the list is that you don't have to have a stack and NIC driver loaded when you're not running Windows.

The null modem solutions transfer the files just fine if you can find one in both domains (and you have serial ports available).

A couple more requests :)
- can you make same mem /debug output while you're in ACAD (I recall you can run DOS command without load COMMAND) ?
- what drivers in upper memory could be removed, like sound, CD ?
- what version MS-DOS do you use? type c:\>ver /f for that.

(I'm on vacation now, will be back to tests after Dec, 30).

Thanks to all of you and Smitty, I'll try to get that info up later. Just signed on after a great but exhausting Christmas day.

My latest plan, is going to be trying FileVan. I invested $10 and just received their cable (regular printer / parallel cables won't work) and they allow free, trial downloads of their Dos & Windows programs, so I may try it later today. According to their support, it will do exactly what I want. I also have a "trial" copy of LapLink (thanks) which I can try with the same cable.

We'll see what happens and I'll post the results. Gads it's hard being up in the office today! I may say the heck with it all and go downstairs and play with the kids. Their new Wii games are a lot more fun.:)

A couple more requests :)
- can you make same mem /debug output while you're in ACAD (I recall you can run DOS command without load COMMAND) ?
- what drivers in upper memory could be removed, like sound, CD ?
- what version MS-DOS do you use? type c:\>ver /f for that.

(I'm on vacation now, will be back to tests after Dec, 30).
ok, typing ver /f says "invalid switch - /f".
Typing just ver reveals: "MS-DOS Version 6.20"

As for removing:
I don't even have speakers hooked up, so the sound card can go.
I have a CD play drive installed but it isn't working anyway, so it can probably go.
Norton's "un-delete" I absolutely must keep - it's saved my butt more than once when I've "over-written" critical files by accident. So that can-not go.
I think the "cloaking" thing makes the mouse use less memory if I remember correctly, so I'd better keep that.

New "mem /debug" read-out with Acad running attached.
View attachment MemDebugWithAcad.TXT

Thanks again smitty.

I vaguely recall that the "cloak" reference does have something to do with the memory that the mouse uses. I think it actually moves it to "high" memory. Gosh, I can't believe I remember this.....

"ver" doesn't have a lot of switches. Try "ver /?" to see what is available. "ver /r" will tell you a break down of the version you're running.

I vaguely recall that the "cloak" reference does have something to do with the memory that the mouse uses. I think it actually moves it to "high" memory. Gosh, I can't believe I remember this.....

"ver" doesn't have a lot of switches. Try "ver /?" to see what is available. "ver /r" will tell you a break down of the version you're running.
amazing what comes out of the cobwebs some days:).

you're right, ver /r told me MS-DOS version 6.20 plus said "revision A" and that DOS is in HMA.

Per Dos's own help menu no switches are listed.

Ok, I now have both computers talking to each other - well at least as far as file transfers go.

When FileVan for Win is running on the XP computer and FileVan for dos is running on the other and the proper cable at the respective parallel ports, each computer displays a file structure of all local drives and all remote drives.

I haven't experimented a lot but transfer rate seems to be about 72 kb per sec.

The best part is that the program releases whatever memory it uses upon exit. I wrote a batch file to launch and added a line to my Acad.pgp so I can now even use it from (a shell) within Autocad.

It's almost like being networked. I just wish the program allowed file masks of some sort to make the selection process easier but I believe it will do what I need.

Just a side note about the company (Rainy City Computer) File And Data Transfer - Low Cost Alternative to LapLink File Transfer Software

I'm not sure how big a company it is as their website is a little limited but their customer support is great. They responded to every one of my emails within minutes and with whatever information I needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts