OK here is what I know...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:

It appears there will be a swap-out of 942's to a new model of the 942 called the 942+ which will support MPEG4. It is my understanding that upgraded boxes have shipped or will soon be shipping to beta testers.

Scott,

Great Rumor! Any chance this will be extended to us 921 owners as well? Or once again, like everything else with the 921, we are flat SOL?

What about 921 owners? Will there be a 921+ or can they upgrade to 942+ if needed? Same question for the 6000's.

I get the feeling E* will follow D* and offer to subsidize the replacement of HD receivers when they roll-out MPEG-4 HD LIL...with the obligatory 18-24 month programming commitment, of course. I'm sure we'll hear all about it at the HD Chat on January 9th. This is one chat I don't want to miss.

you know now that I think of it and considering other equipment installed upgrades
the way the chip is usually fixed to the main board, you may be right in saying that it would require a new main board swap

I have had 942's apart with every piece laying in front of me, you may very well right a new main board may be required

the 942's can support a 400GB Sata drive, all Dish needs to do is have the software adjusted for that size, as of right now 250gb is all the 942 will ever see or use when installing hard drives

921 owners need to sell their 921 on ebay for 400$ and call it a day, no excuse for keeping those anymore

-Gary

Thanks Scott! Keep us in the loop!

Dear Santa Charlie: I want my Washington, DC locals in HD, please. My 61.5 dish is already up and I've been a very good boy!!!

--Doug

Gary Murrell said:
921 owners need to sell their 921 on ebay for 400$ and call it a day, no excuse for keeping those anymore
-Gary
The only problem with your plans is it keeps breeding generation after generation of 921 malcontents. I am hoping Dish does the right thing (the "ethical thing" as Charlie mentioned when referring to OLN dealings with Comcast last night) and offer an affordable upgrade for 921 owners; same deal as offered to 942 owners.

Well, if im not mistaken, arent there 2 open pci-looking slots in the 921? Could that provide a 'drop in' updrade (even if it did, E* would probably still rape everyone, and make em buy new 942+'s , and give you $25 for your 921!)

Curtis0620 said:
Can you say lawsuit. What is the definition of HD. It's not 1920x1080 or nothing. How many "HD" televisions don't have 1920x1080?

This is about the future of HD. That's where we need to focus our attention. Once every provider decides that it is acceptable to use 1280x1080, then it will be very difficult to get it back to 1920x1080.

A LOT of HDTVs will be at 1920x1080 in the future. There are already a slew of new DLPs, LCOS, and LCD flat panel sets that support 1920x1080. Within 2-3 years, this will be commonplace.

Scott: <snip.....> Because it is early in testing I expect it to be awhile before we see the National HD channels in mpeg 4, this matched with the fact that VOOM channels and ESPN2 HD are already being uplinked in MPEG2 is also a good indications that the national channels launched at CES will be in MPEG2. <.....snip>

I may be having a bit of a brain fart here so bear with me while I try and get this straight.

HD locals (as they become available) will be in MPEG 4 but HD DNS will be MPEG 2 ?

In other words, those that qualify for the distant HD nets may be able to get either the NY or LA HD network feeds in MPEG 2- possibly early Janurary?

Those in the dmas getting HD locals (as they become available) will need a MEPG 4 receiver?

Does that mean the NY HD nets (since it's one of the first cities listed to get HD locals) will be broadcast conus on 61.5 & 129 as MPEG 2 and also spotbeamed to NY as MPEG4?

I basically want to know if those of us that don't get digital OTA now but are not in one of the areas getting HD locals will be able to get the HD DNS from NY / LA in MPEG 2?

I wonder why they would be releasing a 942+ receiver with a ViP 622 receiver coming out. Why did they not name it the ViP 942? Why release the ViP 622 if they are coming out with the 942+? Maybe it is due to the 942 not having ethernet capability. Maybe they want to rid of the 942 stock and save some money in the process by upgrading the unit making it MPEG-4 compatible as mentioned earlier in this thread.

So are they going to be doing away with 6 VoOm channels for good then and have less repetitive content since there would be fewer channels or is only Dish Network going to do away with the other 6 VoOm channels to get the resolution back?

Stargazer said:
I wonder why they would be releasing a 942+ receiver with a ViP 622 receiver coming out. Why did they not name it the ViP 942? Why release the ViP 622 if they are coming out with the 942+? Maybe it is due to the 942 not having ethernet capability. Maybe they want to rid of the 942 stock and save some money in the process by upgrading the unit making it MPEG-4 compatible as mentioned earlier in this thread.
So are they going to be doing away with 6 VoOm channels for good then and have less repetitive content since there would be fewer channels or is only Dish Network going to do away with the other 6 VoOm channels to get the resolution back?

But couldnt E* sell an overpriced usb ethernet adapter, iirc it worked on the 721 w/ some software mods etc, right?

CJPC said:
Well, if im not mistaken, arent there 2 open pci-looking slots in the 921? Could that provide a 'drop in' updrade (even if it did, E* would probably still rape everyone, and make em buy new 942+'s , and give you $25 for your 921!)
I don't think the tuner boards have the mpeg chip on them. I believe they send the entire encrypted and compressed data stream "as is" to the PCI bus where it's then cached to the hard drive and then processed by the main board for decryption and uncompression before being sent to the scan conversion circuits.

I believe there may be more 921 owners than 942 or 6000 being that 942 just came out in April of this year and 6000s were at a time when HD was rare and expensive. If that's the case then dish can't ignore 921 with a SOL policy because what really counts is the programming customers subscribe to.

I wonder if the 942+ is going to be an offered as a swap for the 942 as the rollout of HD Locals moves along in the upcoming months? If the rest of the HD programing (voom and whatever else is added excluding HD Locals) can be viewed with mpeg2 boxes for the time being, then Dish would not be under as much pressure to swap out everything at once. If they can just concentrate on swapping out to targeted cities as the rollout of HD Locals moves along in the upcoming months it would make things a lot easier for them. Then the 622 would be offered differently. Not as a swap out but as a future upgrade either by seperate purchase or a new lease program which involves a new committment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)