Ok !! How many of you switched

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tam

Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
missouri
From cable to direct tv and got charged a disconnect fee?
Mediacom is charging us $30 to disconnect (cap off at the pole) our video part of our cable and it really burns me that they will do anything to get more money out of you. :mad: We are keep our internet through them which is why I asked can you waive this and they said no and I ask if I just disconnect all of our services what would the charge would be and they told me no charge. GRRR!!

They are the best internet provider out here or I would be disconnecting all together just on principal.
Both DH and I use it for work so we need a fast connection.

The same thing almost happened to me when I killed internet access from MediaComm. I fought tooth and nail. my reason for dropping them was due to poor service which was noted on my account so they "graciously" removed the disconnect fee.

They are smaller then most cable co.'s and they seem to nickel and dime where they can... but then again most providers do that to some degree

If you think $30 is bad, You better not drop D* then within the next 24 months.

that would be breaking a contract under mediacom there is no contract, so therefore this analogy dosent work that well.

To the Op there has to be a way to get that waived especially since you have services with them, and they are charging you because you ordered what service done? you are paying them to do their jobs now and not getting anything in return? thats wrong.

that would be breaking a contract under mediacom there is no contract, so therefore this analogy dosent work that well..
Thats my point. Not all cable companys require contracts, But all satellite companys do.
and D* also charges $15 disconnect fee.
Deactivation Fee
$15
If you deactivate your service, or we deactivate your service, we may charge you a deactivation fee of $15.

They may also charge a reactivation fee as well if your sevice has been interupted

(1) Account Activation Fee: We may charge you a fee of: (i) up to $100.00 ; or (ii) the maximum amount permitted under applicable law prior to or upon activation of your Service account, whichever is less.

Thats my point. Not all cable companys require contracts, But all satellite companys do. and D* also charges $15 disconnect fee.

gotcha, I forgot about the 15 Disconnect fee! companies are crazy sometimes, I get chapped when they try to charge me 5 bucks to "downgrade" my hbo or whatver, I understand why they do it, but still a rip off :(

gotcha, I forgot about the 15 Disconnect fee! companies are crazy sometimes, I get chapped when they try to charge me 5 bucks to "downgrade" my hbo or whatver, I understand why they do it, but still a rip off :(
I'm not sure how inforced it is , But I wouldn't want someone to think they won't get charged, When D* clearly states it in the Rules. Disconnect Fees are dumb. Cable Well they most times Have to send a Truck out to your house to disconnect service thats costs money, So they have a little bit of an excuse, But satellite what time does it take to turn of someone's service? None I could see.

I'm not sure how inforced it is , But I wouldn't want someone to think they won't get charged, When D* clearly states it in the Rules. Disconnect Fees are dumb. Cable Well they most times Have to send a Truck out to your house to disconnect service thats costs money, So they have a little bit of an excuse, But satellite what time does it take to turn of someone's service? None I could see.

yeah but they are still paying for internet, plus what concern is it of the customers that the cable company has to install a filter, you pay for services that you recieve...its like paying for a can of pop, and then getting a 75 cents stocking fee, I know other companies do it ( service men charge you a trip charge and so on and so forth.) just stinks that companies really nail you to the wall sometimes.

yeah but they are still paying for internet, plus what concern is it of the customers that the cable company has to install a filter, you pay for services that you recieve...its like paying for a can of pop, and then getting a 75 cents stocking fee, I know other companies do it ( service men charge you a trip charge and so on and so forth.) just stinks that companies really nail you to the wall sometimes.
Yea See that is dumb. Just like what Verizon did when I dropped Phone service and kept internet. Internet was $29.99 Now its $41.99. Still Cheaper though in the long run.

I dumped Charter TV but kept my HSI and Telephone. They didn't charge me however, I have read over on DSLREPORTS.com Charter Forum they will charge you a trip charge of $30+ to install a Data only trap on your line. I was not charged for mine.

I have not been in a contract with mediacom in 8 years and this really makse me mad and I have read the D contract and I have no problem with it, it is like when you get a cell phone contract, but my problem is that we have had them for so long and this is how they treat there customers WoW !! Mediacom needs to learn the meaning of customer service.

TWC charged me a "trip charge" of $20 to send someone out to shut off my cable tv outside, even though I was keeping their internet. Then I got charged a "downgrade fee" of a couple of dollars, I forget how much, but it was under $10.

Luckily I was able to get a $10 discount per month for 12 months on keeping my roadrunner internet, so it worked out better in the long run.

When I disconnected and first got E* (I now have D*) I called the cable company and disconnected, they had me take the digital converters back to the company, and sent me a bill the next month and I called them and they said they corrected the bill and had me cancelled as a customer.

6 months later I get a certified letter that they, Massillon Cable/C.P.I. Inc, were suing me in small claims for non-payments of services delivered. I went there with the receipt from returning my converters and the court still found against me and I had to pay them about $500 bucks with costs because the judge ruled that "they provided me service and although I didn't use it I still had to pay for it". This is because they did not disconnect the wire from the poll that connected to my house... even though the wire 5 feet from the drop was connected to NOTHING.

Small town courts, go figure. However this is really crappy for a cable company to do and a really bitter move against a customer who switched to satellite.

that would be breaking a contract under mediacom there is no contract, so therefore this analogy dosent work that well.

To the Op there has to be a way to get that waived especially since you have services with them, and they are charging you because you ordered what service done? you are paying them to do their jobs now and not getting anything in return? thats wrong.

Perhaps if you volunteered to cut the wire on the poll they might reconsider the fee, LOL.

You all are so funny, but just don't get it, it is all about being tired of being nickle and dimed to death, but if you like just giving money away go right ahead.

By the way they are waiving the fee, a supervisor called me back, he agreed that we should not be charged because we are keeping there internet and we have had trouble with our service all along.

You all are so funny, but just don't get it, it is all about being tired of being nickle and dimed to death, but if you like just giving money away go right ahead.

By the way they are waiving the fee, a supervisor called me back, he agreed that we should not be charged because we are keeping there internet and we have had trouble with our service all along.

Thats what I couldn't figure out, your KEEPING the internet service, but they still want to charge you a disconnect fee..
I would understand if you were dropping thier service all together .. I wouldn't like it, but I could understand it.

Jimbo

This is what they do, if you just drop cable and not all your services with them then they charge you this fee to come out and turn it off at the pole but if you disconnect everything they don't charge you. go figure!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)