OK, this is weird

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wemathis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
Albuquerque
So I'm watching MSNBC and during a commercial break they have an an ad that looks like a regular pharmaceutical commercial with the usual side effect blah, blah, blah. But then I it finally clicked that it wasn't medicine for humans it was for live stock to make them weight on average 28 pounds heavier and thus worth more money when they are sold. But that wasn't the weird part. The weird part was when I called my wife in to see the ad it had disappeared. I reversed the DVR back a few minutes and instead of the ad I had seen, instead was an ad for Dish Cinema. I had always realized that Dish inserted these ads (you could sometimes see the beginning of an ad cutoff by Dish ads), but how did they replace it after the fact. Something that I had actually watched was now gone and something I hadn't seen was in it's place. Has anyone else ever noticed this or have any idea how it was done?

I saw the ad, was a bit surprised at what it was for, but didn't rewind it. That you couldn't rewind it is just...... weird. I didn't pay attention until the end, when it became a "huh!" moment.

There is supposedly a few commercials that are able to be changed every time it's viewed. Not sure how it applies, because that goes for recorded content as well.

It's an ad that E* pre-downloaded on your DVR's HDD; when the time comes up for when they want it played back for your (areas) viewing, it automatically inserts that ad into your (live) prog your watching.
But if you try & backspace during that ad, it looses it & ends up going back to the "national" ad that E* sends out to ALL it subs. They have been doing this for quite some time now:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/local-ads-on-national-channels.343377/

Not only live, DVR playback as well. If I jump back, sometimes the ad appears again and sometimes not. When jumping through commercial breaks, the Dish local spots still have tendency to miss-align and cover up program content.

I have noticed when watching in the living room and the kitchen (each on different Hoppers) watching the same channel, There will be and add on one and a different add on the other one.

It's an ad that E* pre-downloaded on your DVR's HDD; when the time comes up for when they want it played back for your (areas) viewing, it automatically inserts that ad into your (live) prog your watching.
But if you try & backspace during that ad, it looses it & ends up going back to the "national" ad that E* sends out to ALL it subs. They have been doing this for quite some time now:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/local-ads-on-national-channels.343377/
I have often wondered how they did these local ads. Thanks for the explanation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)