OK vs FAIL during Blind Scan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyguyj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
This is too much fun! Motor is set up and working great! When I do a blind scan on a single (or multiple) sats, what does it mean during the scan when it says "FAIL" next to a transponder vs "OK" ?

Some transponders have data on them or something else other than TV or Radio Channels, that can be decoded by the receiver. If it says ok and you pay close attention you will notice that it has scanned in at least one TV or radio channel. If it says FAIL, it means that it has found a active transponder on that frequency but there are no TV or radio channels on it, or at least none that the receiver can decode.

Awesome, thank you! Also, what is the difference between a "normal" blind scan vs. "detailed" ? I'm using a MicroHD receiver.

Basically when using detailed scan, the receiver spends more time on each transponder looking for channels. Some channels take an extra few milliseconds to lock so a normal blind scan would miss them. You will notice that a detailed scan will take longer.

Basically when using detailed scan, the receiver spends more time on each transponder looking for channels. Some channels take an extra few milliseconds to lock so a normal blind scan would miss them. You will notice that a detailed scan will take longer.

ke4est,

Is that absolutely and undeniably correct? The idea does make sense, but I just have a hard time buying that any mfg (programmer) would have put such a simple gimmick into the machine. I would think that they are simply allowing for some other parameters to be set up for qualifications during the scan of channels as opposed to simply extending the scan duration.

Is this something specific to the microHD? Fill me in if you have info to correct my thoughts on the issue.

RADAR

i have scanned with detailed scan and it missed a channel that i knew was there. i went to normal blind scan and found the channel. but i do normally use detailed scan when i scan. charlie

The detailed scan uses different search parameters including duration to analyze the transport stream. If one search method does not log a service, the other may yield better results.

Some transponders have data on them or something else other than TV or Radio Channels, that can be decoded by the receiver. If it says ok and you pay close attention you will notice that it has scanned in at least one TV or radio channel. If it says FAIL, it means that it has found a active transponder on that frequency but there are no TV or radio channels on it, or at least none that the receiver can decode.

I'll add one additional note. If you scan FTA only and the transponder has only scrambled signal it will show FAIL too

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts