OTHER Old actuators and positioners

Why the asc1 count negative pulses?.
counting from 0 to 10,000 is not the same?
I really don't have a clue on that. I was not involved with development of the ASC1 other than being a user. I would think is has to do with making the software work better or constraints in the programming.

Reactions: rodrigocn
Ok.
The positioner I made counts the pulses from 0 to 32768.
The reference point (0 pulses) is given by the mechanical limit of the actuator.
ASC1 implements the function goto reference?

Well the wore out actuator on momma's dish finally gave up the ghost. Water got in it and fried the motor. Looks like the reed switch may be bad as well, IDK. Got a couple years use out of it so I am well satisfied.

I replaced it with another from my cache. Works well so far except this actuator has the broken limiter. Hopefully the Vbox limits will suffice.

Still need to change the optical switch to a reed switch in the 'best' actuator. Need to figure out how to do that.

With Brian's suggestion I started using my ASC1 with 0 reference on the lowest arc sat instead of the mechanical limit switch +100. And it made sense. 127W is the 0. If things go south it's easy enough to find the sat and make the setting. Things being things and such. I use the ASC1 Loader application to modify the positions to get closer to the actual satellite positions once I find for example 127-125, 125-123 is a 50 count difference and higher arc sats may only be 30 counts/2 degrees. Little bumps either way to peak signals introduce errors that add up throughout the entire stored positions.

Reactions: armadillo_115
Here's the actuators. Numbered from left to right. Different order than in original post. 1st positioner box I picked up worked - Never tried other positioner boxes.(Not in photos)

Only tested for movement (briefly) using power wires. Sensors not tested. Approx measurements are for the main tube only. Below are preliminary test:

View attachment 141360 View attachment 141361

Far left is the Channel Master Sat Scan 36 volt Positioner.
1) SuperJack XL HQ - 28" - 4 wire, Reed?. Motor runs but arm doesn't move. Can turn by hand but arm still doesn't move. Stripped out?
2) SuperJack XL - 22" - 4 wire, Reed? - Runs both direction.Lots of loose rust where motor couples to arm.... acme screw may be badly rusted.
3) Channel Master (looks like another SuperJack) - 25" - 5 wire, POT. -Runs both ways.
4) Channel Master (looks like another SuperJack) - 25" - 5 wire POT - Runs both ways. Tagged as "No count, only goes up" maybe POT is bad, IDK
5) JGS - 27" - 4 wire, Reed? - Motor runs both ways, but arm stripped out. - Don't see a limit switch. Low weight... prev owner said it is titanium. Maybe some salvage value if unfixable.
6) Identical model/condition to # 5 except motor makes more noise.
7)Uniden UST - 25" - 5 wire OPTICAL - Tagged as 'good' - Presumed Von Weiss motor like #8.Didn't pull down boot to check - Runs like a Cadillac. Super quiet and smooth.
8) Uniden, appears to be identical to #7 but markings unreadable - Von Weiss motor does NOT run - Optical sensor reading part is missing, wheel still there - Probably kept for spare parts - Arm moves freely when turned by hand.
9) ProSat 118 RX - Motor ONLY - Runs without an arm attached.

I figure 1, 5, 6, and 8 are low priority at this time due to condition. Will further test 2, 3, 4 and especially 7 when I get a 'round tu-it'. :rolleyes:
1 of these looks like my actuator.
See my post;
who knows or recognizes my actuator.

1 of these looks like my actuator.
See my post;
who knows or recognizes my actuator.
I assume you are comparing to the photo in your thread here: Who knows or recognizes this Actuator. and you need one with a motor and control box, correct?

I think a "Moteck SuperPowerJack 24" QARL-3624+ Heavy Duty C-Band Satellite Actuator" from eBay would work if your dish mover controller has 4 connections (2 power and 2 for the reed switch).