OTHER Actuator Sensor Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
Just this morning, I was at 127w. i attempted to move the dish to 43w. It stopped sending pulses around 101w... If i kept bypassing the titanium-ASC and nudging the dish back west, it started receiving impulses again. I've never experienced that before. After moving all the way back to 127, i reset the positioner and tried again, and the same thing happened at about the same location of 101w

Is the reedsensor itself going bad? Any thoughts? - I think i have a spare sensor lying around somewhere.

and nudging the dish back west, it started receiving impulses again
Have you opened the actuator, and confirmed that nothing MOVED in there to possibly cause this? Maybe a wire being pulled and somehow getting in the way, or loose screw causing it, or ?

It's always possible the reed switch could have an "arc-flash" issue, which could cause it to short (stick) together and not open and close properly.

Reactions: iBoston
Lightning strikes fuse the reed switches closed, remove one the two wires off the receiver while trying to move the dish tap off wire fast on and off if dish moves sensor is dead shorted, or the wire in the ground is PM me if you need my help

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Well, the sensor pulses completely died now. I have been too busy to work on it. Luckily, It's positioned at the sat i use most often..... So..... I have no Cband moveable dish at the moment.

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
Well, the sensor pulses completely died now. I have been too busy to work on it. Luckily, It's positioned at the sat i use most often..... So..... I have no Cband moveable dish at the moment.
Just use a 12-volt source must be 4 amp rating or higher a old laptop supply will work fine 18-20 volts put it on the two fat wires ( the motor ) wires if the dish moves it's good just bad sensor best to remove senors wires then and check for a short reed switch if that is the kind you have every lightning storm would create 1-3 bad sensor jobs with about 400 customers

Well, i finally got to it. I realized a while back it wasn't going to be a quick repair. Turns out there was discontinuity somewhere on the black wire. I stripped back about 3 inches of wire and still had a disconnect somewhere. The red wire was fine. I utilized the good red wire, and used a spare wire that was part of the power bundle. Hopefully, i will not get line noise. I didn't want to run through the same bundle as the power. But, its that or i will have to feed in a new set of wires.

I was able to get my Titanium ASC (reset position) to work once i dialed in 133w... Zero is set to 135w when there were signals there, so i zeroed at 133, then saw what the offset negative was when it moved to 135. I then nudged the positioner west that many ticks that it offset to the negative and then reset to positioner again.

I then swung all the way to 43w and saw i was 3 ticks off, so again moved back to 135 and nudged 3 more ticks, and then reset positioner. I now seem to have my ASC and actuator re-aligned. I have gone a couple months without a moveable dish. Just glad to have it working again.

Right after i fixed my one Cband, my second one stopped sensing movements... Argh... I got outside today, and it looks like the wires had just deteriorated. I snipped back about a 1/2 inch of wire, and reconnected it and got it working again... Took me about 30 minutes to troubleshoot and fix. Both of my dishes are now moving again! Yea....

Reactions: FTA4PA
Well, crumb bugs, I seem to have line noise, because its loosing counts. I knew this might happen using the same bundle as the power bundle. Ill also make sure i didn't disconnect the resistor i originally put in.