OTHER Old actuators and positioners

Here's the front and back of the Arc Finder. Front has a 3 digit counter when powered up.
Back has a key to turn on and off.

ArcFinder-Front.jpg

ArcFinder-Back.jpg

Special thanks to Trust for assisting!

The Arcfinder was a manual motor controller. No memories, just East/West with a 3 digit counter. The user would keep a list of satellite names and the count number. The original digital model (controlled by one or two digits on your hand). LOL!!! Ran across several similar models through the years, usually dead in a closet. :)

White/White terminals are for a reed switch sensor and Red/Black is the motor control. Likely 24Vdc.

Using manual side car positioners fell out of favor in the mid 80's when units were introduced, which memorized each satellite position. Suddenly, all new receivers had the positioners built-in and controlled by a satellite selection. It was revolutionary!

Transistor numbers, the IC number left of the arrows, and rear panel photo. Looks like optocouplers above the arrowed transistors. Numbers on those?
2 white terminals indicate reed switch only.

Reactions: armadillo_115
Any old movers to look out for with unlimited counts from your side of the pond please, i do have a RC 2000C unit but always on the look out for old good kit.

Any old movers to look out for with unlimited counts from your side of the pond please, i do have a RC 2000C unit but always on the look out for old good kit.
the RC 2000C is a very nice unit, although not all that user friendly. I used a few of those in the 90's to track inclined-orbit satellites.

I have another stand-alone positioner, the MTI 2800A. Very similar to the Arcfinder above. I was using it until a few weeks ago, and still keep it handy for when I need to move the dish for adjustments. It does not require pulses to power the actuator, so can be used with just the motor wires. I guess I could probably build a brain for it with an Arduino or similar.

the RC 2000C is a very nice unit, although not all that user friendly. I used a few of those in the 90's to track inclined-orbit satellites.

I have another stand-alone positioner, the MTI 2800A. Very similar to the Arcfinder above. I was using it until a few weeks ago, and still keep it handy for when I need to move the dish for adjustments. It does not require pulses to power the actuator, so can be used with just the motor wires. I guess I could probably build a brain for it with an Arduino or similar.

Thanks the issue i have is running out of counts on the V box and other cheap movers, i could do with a few back ups in case the RC unit ever packs up,

I am just doing a gearbox/motor upgrade on the paraclipse i will only get half the arc on the vbox then it runs out of counts paraclipse sipco gearbox help i do have ASC1 but unsure what counts that has ive not plugged it in for a while,

Maybe worth looking down the ham radio route see if anything is compatible.

The Arcfinder was a manual motor controller. No memories, just East/West with a 3 digit counter. The user would keep a list of satellite names and the count number. The original digital model (controlled by one or two digits on your hand). LOL!!! Ran across several similar models through the years, usually dead in a closet. :)

White/White terminals are for a reed switch sensor and Red/Black is the motor control. Likely 24Vdc.

Using manual side car positioners fell out of favor in the mid 80's when units were introduced, which memorized each satellite position. Suddenly, all new receivers had the positioners built-in and controlled by a satellite selection. It was revolutionary!

Yup, it has a yellowed piece of paper taped on top with Sat names and count numbers.

I have been obsolete for years but thankfully no one has scrapped me out yet. :biggrin My main dish only has a VBox running in stand-alone mode due to broken coax connectors on the back. So these boxes arn't THAT huge a step backwards. lol.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks the issue i have is running out of counts on the V box and other cheap movers, i could do with a few back ups in case the RC unit ever packs up,

I am just doing a gearbox/motor upgrade on the paraclipse i will only get half the arc on the vbox then it runs out of counts paraclipse sipco gearbox help i do have ASC1 but unsure what counts that has ive not plugged it in for a while,

the ASC1 Positioner Count 10,000 (+5,000 to -5,000)

Reactions: martin-f
Transistor numbers, the IC number left of the arrows, and rear panel photo. Looks like optocouplers above the arrowed transistors. Numbers on those?
2 white terminals indicate reed switch only.

Here you go Arlo. Sorry, it took me a while to pull it back out.
Transistor #'s S2800B (8509)
Opto #'s H11C3 One marked U5 up, other U4 Down

Here you go Arlo. Sorry, it took me a while to pull it back out.
Transistor #'s S2800B (8509)
Opto #'s H11C3 One marked U5 up, other U4 Down

Cool. The S2800B is an SCR with max. voltage rating of 250VDC and current capacity of 10A max.
If you really want to try to get it running, that's where I would start checking. One is probably baked. Perhaps from previous motor stalls with a mis-adjusted or missing limit switch
The H11C3 IC's are indeed opto's. SCR optos. Datasheets are out there for both semiconductors.
The ASC-1 is sooo nice though!
Good luck!

Cool. The S2800B is an SCR with max. voltage rating of 250VDC and current capacity of 10A max.
If you really want to try to get it running, that's where I would start checking. One is probably baked. Perhaps from previous motor stalls with a mis-adjusted or missing limit switch
The H11C3 IC's are indeed opto's. SCR optos. Datasheets are out there for both semiconductors.
The ASC-1 is sooo nice though!
Good luck!

I'm thinking one push button may be bad, it feels a little different than the working one. I'll probably get around to checking it more later. Been messing with the actuators all afternoon. Still sorting it all out.

Reactions: FTA4PA

The use of that 80:1 ratio of the new gearbox causes the half arc with a V-box .
What kind of pulser is under the hood of the original motor ? Any pictures ?

The use of that 80:1 ratio of the new gearbox causes the half arc with a V-box .
What kind of pulser is under the hood of the original motor ? Any pictures ?

Ive purposely geared it to go slower using a chain and sprockets with certain amount of teeth to slow it right down for fine tuning purposes, I have a RC 2000C unit that has enough pulses to drive it along my large arc also the ASC1 should have enough pulses,

Plenty of pictures can be found here of the restoration including gearing fold down wind up movable base.

Paraclipse 3.8 on H to H mount restoration/installation

Update. After further testing without a load on actuators and switching parts around:

4 complete actuators - 2* are reed switch, 1 Pot type, and 1 optical type.
(I hope to convert the optical to reed switch later. ) (I'll keep the Pot intact in case I ever have to run with the Sat Scan positioner)
*One of the Reed switch types has a broken limiter gear. Naturally, it's different than the gears in my spare motors. lol

Parts;
Uniden UST-705 arm only. Doesn't fit any spare motor w/o serious modification.
One arm that needs new acme nut. Acme rod very rusty also. Probably throwing away.
Pro Sat 118 RX Motor only. Works but reed switch not counting.
2 other motors that seem ok but have no shafts now.

*** The 2 JGS actuators are beyond repair. May keep 1 working motor unit, but have nothing that it will fit on. Or maybe another member may need it for parts one day.

Next comes the greasing up and testing on the dish. If these 4 hold up under load.... I should be good on actuators for quite a spell! :yessign

Cobble up a hand crank for the arm one that doesn't fit any motors, and you can use it on a dish that way. If you really need to, or for emergencies.

That's an idea. :)

I also been thinking about rigging one up to my (Small) trailer that I pull behind the riding lawn mower. Hooked to the mower battery with an up/down switch.... automatic dump trailer. That's way down the list of things to do though.

Reactions: martin-f