Old BUD owner, help with getting up to date

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DunnyWhistler

Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
So. Cal.
I bought a system back in 92 and so did my folks. I now have both systems and they are very similar so I've got spare parts for damage. The dish is a 10' mesh on a actuated pole. It has both ku and cband lnb's, but they are 92 also. I also have a GI 2730 and 2710. I've been reading and trying to figure out what I need to get to start having fun with this stuff. I used my directv for daily programming, but I would like to get back to watching wild feeds or fta once I get some direction. Thanks

Welcome aboard! Glad to have ya join us.
Read through the threads in the C-band and main section (for Ku).
When you have some specific questions, we're always here to help.

Might start off by adding pictures and info on your dish here in this thread.
Being in Southern California, I'm sure the outdoor hardware has weathered the years quite well!

Not much on analog any more.
The situation with subscriptions for 4DTV is still in a state of flux
Most likely, you'll be wanting a new FTA receiver.
Choosing one at this point would be pointless; get reacquainted with what's on the air, first. ;)

Personally, I hate it when people say "read up on it". Most of the time it means they don't feel like sharing what they know.

You start with your monitor or tv. Is it high definition? if so, that will indicate what kind of receiver you should have. Your receiver can be a dedicated unit or a board for a computer. The former is easier. Azbox, Sonicview, Coolsat, Vantage, are some of the names for the dedicated units. Technotrend and Prof are a few of the names for the computer boards

You say you have an actuator. Does that mean you have equipment and wires that can drive it? If not there are units like the Gbox or Vbox that will drive it. If you don't have the wire to run the actuator, I and other guys have used a 4 wire lawn sprinkler system cable with good results - sold by the foot at Home Depot. As far as mine is concerned, I put a junction box in near the dish, used wire nuts and went to the actuator with stranded wire.

I don't know your lnbs but guys are mostly using units that control polarity electronically, rather than use additional wires and having issues of a servo that changes polarity from H to V via the little blue motor. Some guys do like the servo because it can give a bigger variety of positions in between H and V. Some voltage controlled units have C and Ku all in one. If the holes in your mesh dish are small enough, you will be able to bring in Ku. If the holes are bigger than a quarter inch you should just go with a c-band lnb. You may have to modify your scalar plate considering the age of your dish.

Hope it helps. I enjoy the hobby and especially enjoy not getting monthly bills. The content is pretty good right now. Sometimes though, it is outstanding.

I bought a system back in 92 and so did my folks. I now have both systems and they are very similar so I've got spare parts for damage. The dish is a 10' mesh on a actuated pole. It has both ku and cband lnb's, but they are 92 also. I also have a GI 2730 and 2710. I've been reading and trying to figure out what I need to get to start having fun with this stuff. I used my directv for daily programming, but I would like to get back to watching wild feeds or fta once I get some direction. Thanks
Welcome Dunny.

Everybody has to start somewhere

To get you started, clean the bugs* out of your feed, dust off the motor, check the wires, and power up.
If it all doesn't go up in a puff of smoke, your firsts task might be to get some long lost Analog signals.
There aren't many, but you can read this thread for encouragement:
NO Analog channels ?
Once you are running, you can then decide on what to do next.

*yes, real bugs... insects... ants, wasps, et al!
I had a buddy here send me a feedhorn which he's presumably sprayed with Raid to kill the ants/
Out of the several hundred I found in the wrapper, a few were still alive! ;)

Thanks for the replies. One of the systems is still functional. I can still receive signals in c and ku band, at least last time I played with it. The mesh dish I have has very small holes, like a real good security door screen. I still have a wired actuator hooked to the receiver. My tv is 1080p, but I'm not looking for hd content unless there's a bunch out there. From what I've been reading, I should probably just get an fta receiver and install kit and add it to my current system. Then see whats what. Thanks Lone Cloud for posting an answer that I try to give when I'm in the know. Appreciate the rest too. I'll see if the little blue motor will do, if not, looks like a learning experience. Should be a fun hobby.

You can slave an FTA receiver to your old analog box and use the analog box to move the dish and switch polarity. Not sure if the maps in the old analog box will match what's up there now but it will work well enough for you to get your feet wet. Then if you decide you want to continue in this hobby you can start updating equipment.

FYI, all the FTA receivers out there now are HD compatible so you will be able to use that 1080p tv quite well via FTA.

I would definitely replace all your cabling. I use two runs of RG-6 and 7 conductor thermostat wire. The 18 awg thermostat wire moves my 10' and 7.5' fine with no issues. I use the remaining three wires for the feedhorn servo (when I run the corotor).

I personally pansat 9200 HD fta boxes with the s2 tuner board (optional but u need it nowadays). Or be sure whatever box you buy does s2 signals.

Give us the specs of your lnbs if you can still see the decals.

You may need to upgrade the lnbs.

You are welcome. You said you have your actuator wired. Can you drive your dish with your receiver? If so there is one less thing to buy.

I know what you mean about high def. I also have a 1080p front projection system, but with the processors in my system, there doesn't seem to be a significant difference between sd and hd. I like having the capability though. Not so much this year, but last year I was really enjoying the HD football feeds. I have a Sonicview HD and a Viewsat HD. The Sonicview is a capable receiver. The Viewsat is a hunk of junk.

I also built a home theater PC and bought a technotrend card to get S-2 transmissions. I have gotten a few, but have not really mastered all of that. It was a good learning experience to build it, but for the end result I might have been better off going with an Azbox

I lucked onto a Birdview solid dish a while back. I did the reed switch modification as described on this site and it's been great. I use a Geosat C-band lnb - cheapo but voltage controlled and works well. I have had luck with the 621-2 C/Ku lnb. The 741 unit works well for some

I would keep my investment low if I were you. Satellite's days may be numbered. Fiber optic is expanding rapidly and there is almost no limit how much bandwidth that has. The economics of the situation might result in no one launching replacements for those satellites already in orbit. So I would put a max expenditure on everything together of maybe 300 dollars

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts