Old dsr-922 battery replacement jitters?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
So I got some batteries for both my dsr-922 receivers. I see the 2nd plus hole but were is the 2nd minus hole? I remember reading something about this. I have no problem leaving the receiver plugged in. There is plenty of room between the power supply and the battery for volt meter and solder gun. I checked the old green battery in the unit. Says good at 3.6v but I have no idea how long it was in there. Should I just remove the old battery and stick in the new? I can use the plus then add the minus. The only other thing I'm worried about is how small the round hole is. The circle the solder attaches 2 seems pretty small. The wire fits through the one. So I'm thinking about just doing it and see what happens. As long as the post or solder doesn't break. I'm good. I did find one unmarked hole away from the battery and that did test as the - side. But the leg of the new battery won't fit that one. Also I read about the dvb-s2 after ordering the 2 battries for a total of 25.00 total. Yuck.

TTFN,

Josh

Do NOT remove the old battery BEFORE the new one is already installed! Also, do NOT use a soldering "GUN", if by that you mean the old transformer style gun that heats up nearly immediately when you pull a trigger, and gets very hot. That will very likely ZAP your receiver and turn it into junk! That sort of soldering gun should NEVER, EVER be used with modern electonics newer than the mid 1970's~. You need a grounded 30 watt soldering pencil iron, like from Radio Shack.

So: Plug the receiver in, solder the new battery in parallel to the old battery, and once you confirm the new one is install and putting out power, cut the wires of the old battery close to the case of it, and pull it out.

But that is the problem. That 2nd hole is not marked, to small for the leg and farther away from the battery than one would think. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong hole. I might have to take a picture of it. Yes, it is the pencil type gun. Heh. I do like those older 70's style though.

If you have a meter then measure the voltage in the holes next to the battery as you should see one at 3volt. The other thing is search YouTube for replacing the battery on the 922.

Okay I did it. The 2nd receiver solder job looks worse than the first one. But everything is solid and checked out. I removed the old batteries and took the time to blow out the dust. They both needed it. I chucked the one video cipher card left. They both had the Varta (the battery experts) 1/2 AA 3v made in germany batteries in them (green in color.). However, I don't think they are original to the receiver. Since the one picture I did find on the ineternet seems to be older batteries. Esp. since they say battery experts on them. The funny parts is. The new batteries I ordered was from battery experts from utah. Probably no relation. But since I don't know when the batteries was changed I did it. Both units keeped the numbers. I checked on one after 10 minutes and still no issue. I did find the other battery hole for the correct size. It was not labled and under the battery towards the end. Would like to know the official procedure for changing the battery.
So 2 more dsr-922 saved from death for now. I can also leave them unplugged. I think I had one plugged in for 2 years just to make sure the battery was okay. Though no big dish to connect up to.

TTFN,

Josh

ussexplroer said:
Okay I did it. The 2nd receiver solder job looks worse than the first one. But everything is solid and checked out. I removed the old batteries and took the time to blow out the dust. They both needed it. I chucked the one video cipher card left. They both had the Varta (the battery experts) 1/2 AA 3v made in germany batteries in them (green in color.). However, I don't think they are original to the receiver. Since the one picture I did find on the ineternet seems to be older batteries. Esp. since they say battery experts on them. The funny parts is. The new batteries I ordered was from battery experts from utah. Probably no relation. But since I don't know when the batteries was changed I did it. Both units keeped the numbers. I checked on one after 10 minutes and still no issue. I did find the other battery hole for the correct size. It was not labled and under the battery towards the end. Would like to know the official procedure for changing the battery.
So 2 more dsr-922 saved from death for now. I can also leave them unplugged. I think I had one plugged in for 2 years just to make sure the battery was okay. Though no big dish to connect up to.

TTFN,

Josh

Well done Josh. First time is always the worst, I think because we know what's at stake!

Status
Please reply by conversation.