Old Equipment Re-Subscribe Question

nwoidaho

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Called Dish Network to get some answers about some old 311 receivers I inherited from my Dad who passed away last year. I want to start a new account with these two old receivers but want to know if I still have to clear off any old balances still on the receivers since the person who was once responsible is now dead? I called and the CSR was clueless and didn't speak English very well. I have the Dish and can install the old receivers myself. I just want to know if I'm still responsible in clearing the balances before I can use the receivers again.

First thing to check, if receiver's were leased or owned. If they were leased, Dish will not activate and will have you send them back to them. If they were owned, any balance due would need to be paid before they could be activated, whether it would be a new account, another account or the account they were on previously. You may want to check about setting up your account with leased receivers, usually owning your equipment may block you getting any type of promo, either in reduced price or free package they occur from time to time.

The receivers were owned. The balance wasn't in question just the procedure. CRS told me they don't start new accounts with old equipment. If I cleared off the receivers, can I re-sub the old receivers on a new account?

The CSR is incorrect. All you have to do is activate your 311s based on the fact that you have a dish aimed at the proper satellites. You may need to install that dish yourself or get a contractor to do it for you. But, seriously, if you have HD TV, just start a new account, get leased 211s and free installation. It will cost you a 2 year commitment. You will save nothing by using the old 311s.......

I work for Dish.... So all the info that they gave you is correct, However if you live on the east coast we will not allow any old mpeg 2 SD equipment to be activated anymore. If you do not want a credit check and do not want a 2 year contract , using you own equipment is the way to go. I can activate them for you, not a big deal. Bobby is correct, HD equpiment is free with a "NEW" two year agreement.

However if you live on the east coast we will not allow any old mpeg 2 SD equipment to be activated anymore.

Have to disagree with that statement.Not everyone on the east coast has eastern arc dishes.Many have western arc.

If a customer calls in "TODAY" we will not activate a 301 SD receiver at all, no exceptions! As for other SD equipment it is not permitted to be activited on the east coast, if its active fine, its "grandfathered" in. Yes Sir, you are correct, Dish does have both the eastern and western arc on the east coast for those who have no line of sight on the eastern arc we do a flip to western. This is a fact......if you call the Dish Network sales dept today and liver anywhere on the east coast you will not EVER be installed with a SD receiver. if you work for Dish, then you very well know that Dish Promo , our activation and customer svc software will not permit it.

If a customer calls in "TODAY" we will not activate a 301 SD receiver at all, no exceptions! As for other SD equipment it is not permitted to be activited on the east coast, if its active fine, its "grandfathered" in. Yes Sir, you are correct, Dish does have both the eastern and western arc on the east coast for those who have no line of sight on the eastern arc we do a flip to western. This is a fact......if you call the Dish Network sales dept today and liver anywhere on the east coast you will not EVER be installed with a SD receiver. if you work for Dish, then you very well know that Dish Promo , our activation and customer svc software will not permit it.

There is a difference between talking with Sales, and CSRs. I can, and have activated new accounts with SD equipment (activation only accounts) for east coast customers.

Has anyone looked at the op's location, Boise Idaho is far from anywhere on the east coast.

Just my opinion...the op should contact MattG via pm.I'm positive he can get you setup.:)

p.s. in no way am I trying to debate with you, I was only giving factual information on what I have experienced in trying to activate customers owned receivers in our Dish promo CS tool. I have gone as far as the ERT team when we receive the escalated call with an unhappy customer that is not permitted to activate their old 301 SD receiver

p.s. in no way am I trying to debate with you, I was only giving factual information on what I have experienced in trying to activate customers owned receivers in our Dish promo CS tool. I have gone as far as the ERT team when we receive the escalated call with an unhappy customer that is not permitted to activate their old 301 SD receiver

I don't doubt your word at all.I know that Dish is trying to phase out the older receivers.However I also know that through the right channels you can still get them activated.Personally speaking I wish they would get the Mpeg4 conversion fully implemented,but its going to take a while for that to happen.

I understand. There is a difference from adding a MPEG2 receiver to an existing "MPEG4 only" account, and setting up a brand new account though.

301s are obsolete, but the OP was talking about 311s, which are not obsolete

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)