Old RCA receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I have a old RCA receiver that needs replacement. I have 2 other older RCA receivers and I wanted to swap the damaged one with but, DirecTV told me that since there is no RID number (only a model and serial number), it can't be done.

The good news is that the are sending me a free replacement standard receiver instead via FedEX.

My question is simple. Is there any reason to keep those 2 older RCA receivers since it doesn't appear DirecTV can activate them anyway or should I just put them in the garbage?

Don't heave'm right away. I came across an old RCA unit still new in the box. Box shows its a referb. I called directv to see if it's any good to activate. The first CSR transferred me to another CSR. I asked If it can be turned on. She asked for the RID. Told her it's an older unit with only a serial. No Problem give me the access card number. She said it's never been on an account, it will be 'owned' status. I told her it is a blue 'access card 4 ' card. Again She said it shows you can activate it as a owned receiver. I never activated it as I didn't need it yet. Good for a back-up I suppose. So if your wanting a owned status box I would keep it.

i reactivated one last year when one of my phillips recievers went out. i had a phillips in my workshop and one in my daughters room.

I still have two RCA IRD's on my account, a DRD503RBC and a DRD222RD. They are in my kids rooms. They still work good enough for the kids to watch cartoons on. The local channels are in the 900's.

DirecTv offered to replace both of them with leased IRD's for $20 last time I talked to them, but I said no.......

I used to have all RCA equipment back in the day, including a HD DTC210. The IRD's I don't see anymore are Hughes, Panasonic, and GE ( re-branded RCA ).

PMKS All receivers are now branded Directv but the manufacturer is the number at the end of the model number. A D12-100 is made by RCA, the 100 indicates manufacturer RCA.

Not to hijack the thread, but what are the benefits to having an 'owned' box? Don't you still have to pay a $5 monthly programming fee?

I'm asking because my in-laws still have and use an old RCA box. I've been trying to get them to upgrade their equipment to something newer (HD actually since they're using it on an HD television) but since what they have is working and they own it, they are hesitant. I'm just wondering if they are getting a benefit that I am unaware of.

:) Thanks dude ... I was feeling a bit like that kid that's left at the end of team picking. :(

Hehe ....

Stay cold !

Regards,

UB. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts