Old Satellite Names

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
Tomorrow I'll be (hopefully) putting the finishing touches on installing my 10' c/ku mesh and programming an old G.I. 2400R receiver for the analog portion of my fta experience. My memory is not quite what it use to be so I thought some of you old timers may be able to help.

Seems to me there was a series of Westar, Spacenet, Telestar, Satcom and Galaxy satellites. I haven't played around with the old receiver yet, but I'm assuming I'll get a choice of naming the current sats. using G's F's S's W's and maybe D's (I think my old Toshiba 2220 used D's to name the Canadian Anik sats.).

My ultimate question is: in the old days, when you would go to a Westar satellite the receiver would already 'know' what polarity to be set at. Will I have a problem as I will be using my bsc621 lnbf. Example: lets say I'll name IA6 (that's 93-degees thanks to Ice's newest info. header) W6. Will I have a problem pulling in either vertical or horizontal transponders on either the c or ku side of this bird???

If one of the mods. could move this thread to the general fta area.....I didn't realize I put it in the WUT

Last edited:
Spacenet 2, Satcom F2, Galaxy 2, Telstar 302, Spacenet 3, Galaxy 3, Telstar 301, Westar 4, Anik A1, Anik A2, Morelos 1 and 2, Spacenet 1, Westar 5, Telstar 303, Sactom F3, Galaxy 1 and Satcom F1 were the c-band birds east to west when I first got my 1st dish in 1988.

G2, T302, T301, W4, and W5 were the main backhaul locations.

Last edited:
If you have the analog receiver hooked up to the fta one through the loop then you will be on the polarity of the fta receiver. As long as you have a lnbf, then you won't be able to see both polarities of the same bird on both receivers at the same time

Thanks Mike. I forgot about that. I will have it looped through my Pansat. I was just wondering about the vertical/horizontal. In the old days, for example: on all the Westar sats. odd channels would be vertical, even channels-horizontal Telstar sats. would be the opposite...odd-horizontal, even-vertical so when you would 'call up' W5 the receiver would automatically switch itself so channel 1 would be vertical and T1 would have channel one being horizontal.........I hope it's clear (as mud).

I think I understand you to say, it won't matter because my Pansat 2700A will control the polarity, not the G.I. 2400R......

dosnt matter because the Pansat will control the polarity

As an example, on my KU analog setup I only have 2 satellites programmed in

Galaxy 7
SBS6

SBS6 is for, well SBS6. Galaxy 7 is the rest. I dont look at polarity on that because the DVB receiver controls it

If using an LNBF, the polarity on the rcvr does not matter. If using conventional LNB, there is a "Reverse Polarity" button on receiver to program sats accordingly.

Out of the box, I don't believe the 2400 knows the settings for any particular sat. I just use mine as positioner for my PStar dish (LNBF) so I just aim and set positions.

If you are using the 2400 to VIEW channels, you have to watch that "C /KU" button also when you are programming.

These are the satellites listed in the 2400R manual
Spacenet 2 - 69 degrees
Satcom F2R - 72 - "
Galaxy 2 - 74 - "
Satcom K2 - 82 "
Satcom F4 - 83 - "
Satcom K1 - 85 - "
Telstar 2 - 86 - "
Westar 3 - 91 - "
SBS 4 - 91 - "
Galaxy 3 - 93.5 - "
SBS 3 - 95 - "
Telstar 1 - 96 - "
Westar 4 - 99 - "
G Star 1 - 103 - "
Anik D1 - 104.5 - "
Anik C2 - 112.5 - "
Morelos 1 - 113.5 - "
Anik C3 - 117.5 - "
Spacenet 1 - 120 - "
Westar 5 - 122.5 -"
Telstar 303 - 125 - "
ASC 1- 128 - "
Satcom F3 - 131 - "
Galaxy 1 - 134 - "
Satcom F1R - 139 - "
Aurora F5 - 143 - "

HA...gotcha

GOTCHA....

Some of you guys are as old as I am!:D I still need a chart to cross reference the "new" names for FTA!
Jeff

All of the IAs are former Telstars and should be labelled T(x) for C band. The AMCs and are former GEs and should labelled W(x) for C band due to the former Westar association for some of them.

For the most part, a 4DTV has good labels for this purpose. Unfortunately you will need to come up with a conversion chart as many of the new satellites have more than 1 numercial digit in their names.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)