Old Satellite question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derenzy

Original poster
May 15, 2011
Michigan
Hello, i was directed to this site.

I have two old sat-dishes, i'm not looking to sell them on here, i'm just looking to get a "ball park quote" for maybe what they are worth, or what i might be able to get for them.

i'm going to try craigs list to save on shipping.

they are kind of old, I have pictures of both,

DishNetwork 500 about 22" dish(mounted on a 5-6ft large pole in the ground with cableing)

-and-

Direct TV, RCA dish, about 19", with mounting arm

all dishes have the dish, mounting and the transmitter(front arm)

no other hardware(like the house receivers)

could i atleast get 10 bucks apeice maybe?

just wondering if it is worth to sell, or just get rid of it.

thanks guys

Well, he is trying to sell it for that price.

Here is the situation in detail. The DTV one is a single orbital slot dish. These days DTV sets you up with dishes that receive 3-5 orbital slots. You would get only a portion of your programming on the one slot. Dish is pretty much the same. Depending on where you live in the country, you will receive programming from 61.5, 72, 77 or 110, 119, 129 orbital slots. The Dish 500 is a dual slot dish intended to receive from 110/119. This was the norm before the early 2000s. Both companies also changed how they did multiple receiver switching and newer receivers can't handle the older LNBs.

The dishes are still usable, but only in specialized situations. That portable tailgate situation is one because a tailgater is only interested in receiving a single channel relating to "the game" and only a single receiver. Yes, the dish is still usable under these conditions. Also camping if you are willing to limit your channels or physically move the dish. The problem is that both companies produced millions of dishes in these configurations and in the last few years they have been busily replacing them with dishes with the new switching that can receive more satellites. That means that there are a boatload of these dishes sitting out there rotting.

Feel free to try on craigslist or freecycle. Perhaps you will find someone looking. I see them all the time on those places, and seldom if ever do I see someone buying.

no, he is not "trying to sell" it for that price, he HAS sold it for that price.

the current BID, already placed is near 100 and still has a day to flourish.
perhaps the tri pod adds value

thank you for your input.

It honestly has nothing to do with the dish. That is just an add in. He is selling:
Once again this kit includes:

(1) NEW DISH Network DISH500 with a DISH Pro Plus twin LNB.

(1) Channel Master 3 Foot Heavy Duty Tripod with 24 inch mast pipe.

(1) 75 foot lenght of 3Ghz swept tested RG6 coaxial cable with connectors on each end.

(1) 3 foot lenght RG6 coax with connectors and a barrel splice

(1) Flat cable for routing under the door or through the window.

(1) Satellite signal meter

(1) Bubble level

(1) Compass to aid in your dish pointing.

The whole package is what is making it worth something.

No matter. I think Derenzy is looking for justification here, not advice. Who am I to say he shouldn't try? Best of luck, and if you find this is profitable, I expect you can find a large supply of these things in Satguys members' garages to help feed your new venture :)

Pawn shop maybe? I’ve taken a lot of older electronics to the local pawn shop, didn’t make much but it’s something. One Saturday last year I loaded the back of my car up with a bunch of old crap and walked away with about $100 bucks. Got $5 bucks for an old CD player, $20 for an old DVD player, $15 for an Epson fax machine that was given to me for free and a bunch of other stuff. Probably could have made more on eBay but I didn’t want the hassle and I wanted the stuff gone. I was thinking about taking my three dishes down one day and seeing what they’ll give me for them if they’ll even take ‘em. The pawn shop I go to buys and sells old satellite receivers so I guess they'd accept dishes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)