Old Technology- slightly off topic

wshillington

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Hi:

I have a pretty good FTA setup using K-Band. Unfortunately there really is nothing Canadian I can pick up. Wanna catch those Bluejay games, Red Green show and some Canadian news.

I picked up a directional TV antenna for the roof which came with a 20db amp. After I hooked it up a could get CTV well but Global and CBC were pretty snowy. On the internet I read that a pre-amp hooked to the output at the mast might improve things for me. None available in my area. Before I order one I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has used a pre-amp. I expect those that use FTA might be using an antenna as well.

cheers
Bryce

I use a Winegard Model DA-1136 (40-1000MHz) Distribution Amplifier on a Winegard VHF/UHF/FM Deep Fringe Antenna and get remarkable results at 90-110 mile range. And the new digital signals are far superior to the analog signals, when it locks. This set-up works with a pre-amp at the antenna and the amplifier at the tv.

Al

I've put up alot of preamps over the years, I have used winegard and channelmaster, both give good results, also if you are after digital only, the
channelmaster 4228 bowtie antenna does a great job with digital and analog. With digital channels,
You have a great picure or nothing, sorta like a dvb receiver got quality, great picture, no quality no picture, this is what I have with a CM 0064 preamp installed

Last edited:
voomvoom said:
I use a Winegard Model DA-1136 (40-1000MHz) Distribution Amplifier on a Winegard VHF/UHF/FM Deep Fringe Antenna and get remarkable results at 90-110 mile range. And the new digital signals are far superior to the analog signals, when it locks. This set-up works with a pre-amp at the antenna and the amplifier at the tv.

Al
Al, Are you able to get the Atlanta channels with that set up ?

Yes John, At least after dark for all channels, including Rome's PAX (i) channel 14. Daylight is extremely different, only 11 and 43 (69) are always, with 2,5,17, 44 (63),and 46 almost regular. I never get 14, 25 (36), 34, or 30 in daylight. And, actually, channel 30 rarely comes in. Also, I sometimes even get 42 (low power Atlanta Channel), but only after dark and (I think) extreme atmosphiric conditions. And of course the weather plays a role in the picture as well.

Al

Wow! Pretty good from where you are.I am looking to move toward Northern Habersham County.That set up might help me with Atlanta and Greenville,SC locals.Thanks for the info.

Hi:
Thanks for the info. I have noticed that reception changes at night. Last night I was getting my best signal from a station in Antigonish which is quite far away.
cheers
Bryce

Be sure to check the specs of the pre-amp you find. Like with satellite, the lower the noise factor the cleaner the signal which is always good. If you have some channels very close, then you have to also consider them overloading the amp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)