Old TV died, HD upgrade questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hutch001b

Original poster
May 2, 2004
I've been rooting around on the 'net for a couple hours trying to get my own answers but I still have some questions.
I have two R10 Tivos and two standard receivers. My main tube type TV just went out and I want to upgrade to HDTV where that set is and leave the others as is for now. I've done my own installs in the past but will probably have this one done professionally since it seems to be rather difficult to get proper alignment, plus I can probably get the equipment cheaper. It seems that the best way to go is to just order from Directv.
My present dish, 3 LNB WNC, is mounted on the side of the house, but I hear that the 5 LNB dish will be too heavy for this. I have a 4" iron post from an old C-band dish still installed about 12' away from my present dish. Is this post suitable for the new dish? It's 36" tall, plumb, and is rock solid.
I have an Eagle 4x8 multiswitch and I assume that this will not work with the new setup?
Will I still have 4 cables coming from the dish and 6 leaving the new multiswitch, just as I do now? I want to move the multiswitch into the crawlspace and need to know how many cables to run out to the post.
Also, I live in zip 42104 and am not eligible for Nashville locals in spite of having only one lousy ABC affiliate and nothing else here. OTA I can get Nashville CBS decently, NBC marginally, and ABC poorly Hence, I have a Tennessee service address so I can get Nashville locals. What do I need to do in order to keep getting the Nashville locals? Should I "move" to my billing address, then move back to TN after the install? If I do this, can I do it immediately before ordering the upgrade, and then switch back immediately after the install, or should I wait a while?
Thanks for the help, Hutch

If the pole for your old "C" band dish has the correct visibility, then it can be used. However, you'll need to adapt it for the 2" OD used by the DirecTV dish.

I assume that you'll want to keep your existing receivers. You'll need to change out the multiswitch with the WB68 version. So you'll still need the 4 lines from the dish to the WB68.

Actually, there is already a 2" pole secured into the pipe. I just didn't mention it because I figured I'd probably be removing it. Now that I think back about it, I adapted the pole to put my present dish onto it but decided for the wall mount instead. I want to have everything done as much as possible when the installer comes. I'd just like for him to install the dish and receiver.
Thanks, Hutch

Actually, there is already a 2" pole secured into the pipe. I just didn't mention it because I figured I'd probably be removing it. Now that I think back about it, I adapted the pole to put my present dish onto it but decided for the wall mount instead. I want to have everything done as much as possible when the installer comes. I'd just like for him to install the dish and receiver.
Thanks, Hutch
2" poles are hard to come by, check your measurements closely, many are 1 7/8th witch are a little loose, but can be anchored with a few screws if needed.

thats odd i got a friend who is in same vicinity as you and he gets locals from nashville market! if you cant than its stupid because the big radio stations like 107.5, 104.5, 103.3 you get are from nashville so why not tv service. Im not smart enough to answer that question so ill leave it at that

Interesting to read Hutch's local-channel portion of his post. I had thought that I'd understood the local-channel qualification issues but maybe not. Correct me here, all, but isn't it true that anyone can have access to their local channels wherever their DTV address is? I remember that old routine during the C-Band days (and perhaps the early small-dish ones as well?) where one had to "quality" to get the locals if their OTA wasn't receiving clear signals at their location.

A few years ago, I had my Dallas-Ft Worth locals added to my pkg even though I live in the middle of the area and can receive OTA locals without a picture problem.

Hutch: if you're looking for an HD display, have you checked out the Panasonic Plasma's? I bought one last year and have been very happy with it. My info is in my Sig.

Jimbo, I'll measure the pole. Thanks
JKauf55, actually my zip spans two counties. If I was 2-3 miles further south over the county line, I'd be eligible for Nashville locals. I tried to get the ABC station here to sign the waiver a few years ago and they told me not to even bother sending them the form. I recently spoke to a couple local residents who had tried for the waiver lately and it's still no go.
scoop8, I'm not really up on all the legal mumbo jumbo, but the Nashville locals are not considered to be my locals. We have no NBC or CBS stations here, and Nashville is the closest city with them. I would think that would mean that they should be considered my locals, but that's not the case.
Thanks to all for your replies and advice, Hutch

Measured the pole-2 3/8". I'm going to Lowe's today and get a length of 1 1/2" rigid conduit.
A couple questions about the install. If I go with the free upgrade install from D*, how high will they mount the dish? I'd like to set it high enough where I don't have to duck when I mow around the pole.
Is the new multiswitch part of the free upgrade? My switch now is on the side of the house. I'd like it in the crawlspace out of the weather. Will the tech put the new one under there for me?

Measured the pole-2 3/8". I'm going to Lowe's today and get a length of 1 1/2" rigid conduit.
A couple questions about the install. If I go with the free upgrade install from D*, how high will they mount the dish? I'd like to set it high enough where I don't have to duck when I mow around the pole.
Is the new multiswitch part of the free upgrade? My switch now is on the side of the house. I'd like it in the crawlspace out of the weather. Will the tech put the new one under there for me?

Hope you didn't get the 2 3/8th inch pole, thats to large for the mast.

Yes the new MS would be part of the install if needed.

In the crawl, you can ask the guy, I can't answer for him.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)