OLED, wow

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Station wagons typically offered much more usable space for passengers and cargo as well as better outward visibility. There's a reason that backup cameras are a requirement in modern vehicles. Something that weighs well over two tons should have a lot more room and a much better ride.
Buy a BETTER SUV then ...

Reactions: HipKat
Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
Last edited:
Foxbat

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
Looks like they finally came out with an Oled ....

I'll take the Sony A95K QD OLED
I think you are making the proper choice. Here’s an in-depth comparison between the Samsung S95B and Sony A95K:

If you are gaming, though, the Samsung has lower latency and four full HDMI 2.1 ports.

HipKat

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
Going thru my settings, noticed that brightness was totally off, the person who did the calibration was who did it.

Turned it back to 30 ( highest setting), but then had a super washed out picture, since the TV was calibrated with it set at 0.

Decided to just go back to the original settings, once I reset everything, played the last episode of Obi-Wan and now I can see what is going on.

I feel like I wasted all that money getting it calibrated, but I am just going to use the original settings now.
When I bought my Sony, I did a lot of searching for Calibration settings and ended up going with Rtings but tweaked a little to my preferences. Along the way I read an article that said basically, Professional Calibration is not the end-all, your eyes are. Heck, for a while, I even used stock Vibrant for 4K YouTube videos. The images are simply stunning! Vibrant is too much for SDR, though.
The real issue in user preferences is do you want a Natural looking experience or do you want a picture that borders on breathtaking!

Bruce

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
When I bought my Sony, I did a lot of searching for Calibration settings and ended up going with Rtings but tweaked a little to my preferences. Along the way I read an article that said basically, Professional Calibration is not the end-all, your eyes are. Heck, for a while, I even used stock Vibrant for 4K YouTube videos. The images are simply stunning! Vibrant is too much for SDR, though.
The real issue in user preferences is do you want a Natural looking experience or do you want a picture that borders on breathtaking!
Been reading about Professional Calibrations and how the techs seem to want the picture darker because they believe it is the most accurate image.

I want bright and detailed, I believe great black levels makes a better picture but it should not be at the expense of the rest of the image, it was so murky before I redid the settings.

Reactions: HipKat and FTA4PA
Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
I vote for Natural ...

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
feel like I wasted all that money getting it calibrated, but I am just going to use the original settings now.
If the calibration isn't done on all inputs, it isn't done. A modern calibration requires passes at both SDR and HDR settings.

Reactions: Foxbat
harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Been reading about Professional Calibrations and how the techs seem to want the picture darker because they believe it is the most accurate image.
The idea behind calibration is that it is supposed to be instrumented and not subject to the whim of the technician.

Of course a calibration is also supposed to take the room lighting into consideration (also instrumented) and changing that parameter necessarily throws off the calibration.

Reactions: HipKat
Bruce

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003

I want bright and detailed, I believe great black levels makes a better picture but it should not be at the expense of the rest of the image, it was so murky before I redid the settings.
After posting this, went back to check out TVs, Magnolia’s ( Best Buy) had the new Sony Z9K mini-LED in 75” right next to the Sony A90J OLED, I sat down, asked for the remotes and messed with them, I even told them to turn all the lights on in there to get it as close as possible to my living room.

Just no contest, the Z9K is just so much better, colors, highlights with DV content, black levels and of course brightness

I went to the salesperson, said I wanted to order the 85”, said he could not, not in their system yet to be able to sell, just a placeholder in the computer, I said ok, gave him the remotes back and he goes whatever in a rude tone.

And some wonder why people prefer to shop online.

Went home, got on the Rain Forest’s site, preorder is up for July 18 release….ordered, OLED will go in the game room and the 85” TCL 7 Series in there now will go to my daughter’s.

Reactions: Foxbat
TheTechGuru

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
After posting this, went back to check out TVs, Magnolia’s ( Best Buy) had the new Sony Z9K mini-LED in 75” right next to the Sony A90J OLED, I sat down, asked for the remotes and messed with them, I even told them to turn all the lights on in there to get it as close as possible to my living room.

Just no contest, the Z9K is just so much better, colors, highlights with DV content, black levels and of course brightness

I went to the salesperson, said I wanted to order the 85”, said he could not, not in their system yet to be able to sell, just a placeholder in the computer, I said ok, gave him the remotes back and he goes whatever in a rude tone.

And some wonder why people prefer to shop online.

Went home, got on the Rain Forest’s site, preorder is up for July 18 release….ordered, OLED will go in the game room and the 85” TCL 7 Series in there now will go to my daughter’s.
We need more | Bjorn’s locations...