Olympics in 4K?

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Any idea if Dish will be broadcasting the Olympics in 4K? NBCU will be distributing it in 4K to providers, but, as the article linked states, "it will be up to those partners to decide whether to broadcast the coverage in 4K HDR or step down to a lower quality." It seems like Dish has uplinked special channels for stuff like this in the past.

Link

Reactions: charlesrshell
Great. I always enjoy watching the Olympics and I haven't been able to watch much of any 4k on my new TV.

It will likely not be available to viewers in the Triangle area of North Carolina unless the dispute with WRAL (the NBC affiliate) is resolved. Past 4K NBC presentations during the dispute have been blocked on the 4K channel.

They've added a 4th 4K Channel in HDR marked for the Olympics that has yet to go online. I wonder if they are waiting to see if they are going to cancel the games?

There will only be 2 4K Olympics channels. The ones are mirrored from their 540 locations.

Sorry, I meant that there was one channel (540-04) that was added to the usual 3, that is in HDR that was marked for the Olympics. The others are marked and work as they usually do. So does the 4th one: "Channel Unavailable". Then there's the one at 389 in HD.

Mirrored to where?

Sorry for any confusion. I think full thoughts, but only type part of them . . .

Doesn’t appear that the ceremonies are going to be in 4K. So far just tennis and golf.
One of the things that NBC says will be in 4k is the Prime Time Coverage. We don't get a national feed on NBC, so I guess we will not be seeing anything that is on NBC!!!

Last edited:
That 4K feed of the Olympics? It's probably not even "native" 4K, but instead upscaled 1080p HDR.

NBC’s signal technically will be in 4K resolution, and it will use some 4K cameras, but we’ve confirmed reports that the video source will actually be lower-resolution 1080p HDR that is upscaled to 4K. Although upscaled 4K may not look as detailed as native 4K, the streams are still likely to look sharper than NBC’s standard 1080i HD broadcasts thanks to the better compression schemes used for 4K, and of course the HDR benefits should be the highlight.

Not good news from DISH with the Olympics in 4K on the 4K Joey.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your patience with this! The Opening Ceremonies will not be in 4K on DISH. As for the Joey, the 4K Channels are not available at the moment due to the content being HDR.

See images attached below.

Best,

Shayna

This does not make sense to me since the Prime Video App on the 4K Joey does HDR. Dish has dropped the ball BIG TIME here.

Pictures are of the Olympics app on DISH. :)

Attachments

• DISHOlympics.1.jpg
    DISHOlympics.1.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 168
  • DISHOlympics.2.jpg
    DISHOlympics.2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 161
  • DISHOlympics.3.jpg
    DISHOlympics.3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 168
  • DISHOlympics.4.jpg
    DISHOlympics.4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DISHOlympics.5.jpg
    DISHOlympics.5.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 154
  • DISHOlympics.6.jpg
    DISHOlympics.6.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 150
  • DISHOlympics.7.jpg
    DISHOlympics.7.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 164
Channel 540-04 and 540-05 are both showing a slate advertising their Olympic coverage in 3840 x 2160 HDR. However the menus are still very dark. It appears that Dish was not able to make their menus compliant with the HDR signal.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I was really hoping for 24/7 on the 4k channels. I'm not really interested in watching tennis or golf if that's all they're going to have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)