Olympics in 4K?

This does not make sense to me since the Prime Video App on the 4K Joey does HDR. :)

There must be different implementations of HDR and I am not referring to HLG, HDR+, or Dolbyvision. The HDR that NBC Sports is using for their Olympic coverage must be different than the HDR that Amazon Prime is using. I have been searching the internet but have not found the answer. I know it requires the HEVC video codec with 10 bit pixels. The existing 4K Joey can not properly decode the HDR used by NBC Sports. That is why Dish is eventually replacing it with the new Joey 4 which will do HDR. Unfortunately Dish was unable to roll out the Joey4 before the Olympics.
Even the Hopper3 has problems with the HDR used by NBC Sports as evidenced by the very dark menus.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Looks like the smartest move is to start 7 day free trial with Fubo, if you have the right streamer.

FuboTV
Free 4K streams but only in five markets
FuboTV costs $65 a month and doesn't charge extra for 4K, but its higher resolution feeds from NBC, the Olympic Channel and Golf Channel will only be available to those in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth and Boston.

There must be different implementations of HDR and I am not referring to HLG, HDR+, or Dolbyvision. The HDR that NBC Sports is using for their Olympic coverage must be different than the HDR that Amazon Prime is using. I have been searching the internet but have not found the answer. I know it requires the HEVC video codec with 10 bit pixels. The existing 4K Joey can not properly decode the HDR used by NBC Sports. That is why Dish is eventually replacing it with the new Joey 4 which will do HDR. Unfortunately Dish was unable to roll out the Joey4 before the Olympics.
Even the Hopper3 has problems with the HDR used by NBC Sports as evidenced by the very dark menus.

I did a test... and the Hopper 3 reports DISH 4K HDR as 4K HDR10 on my TCL 4K TV, and for Amazon Prime from the 4K Joey watching a movie from Amazon in 4K HDR also reports its 4K HDR10.

So this makes zero sense to me.

I did a test... and the Hopper 3 reports DISH 4K HDR as 4K HDR10 on my TCL 4K TV, and for Amazon Prime from the 4K Joey watching a movie from Amazon in 4K HDR also reports its 4K HDR10.

So this makes zero sense to me.

HDR10 Media Profile, more commonly known as HDR10, is an open HDR standard announced on 27 August 2015 by the Consumer Technology Association. It is the most widespread of the HDR formats.

The Tokyo Olympics will be available in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos... in the US

So maybe the problem is converting Dolby Vision to HDR10. I believe that HDR10 is the later version of HDR. It supports up to 1000 nits of brightness while HDR10+ supports 4000 nits of brightness.

My TV won’t even do Dolby Vision.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am recording channel 148-03 and 540-04. Tried to play both and getting the black screen and the HDCP not compliant pop up. I reset the HDMI cable and no go. Can't reboot because wife is watching the ceremony on NBC. Anything else I can try?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I am recording channel 148-03 and 540-04. Tried to play both and getting the black screen and the HDCP not compliant pop up. I reset the HDMI cable and no go. Can't reboot because wife is watching the ceremony on NBC. Anything else I can try?

Dish testing on these channels apparently wasn’t very thorough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we’re getting these HDCP errors, doesn’t it make sense that we can’t schedule recordings on the 4K channels? Aren’t we going to be limited to navigating to those channels and attempting to bypass the error before we can manually initiate the recording?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scheduled a timer on channel 540-04 from 10 PM - 7 AM on my Family Room Hopper3 which is connected to my Sony XBR65X900E TV. I was at a Cub Scout pool party but the timer worked fine. I have not had the HDCP compliance error that others have had. The recording shows up as 3840 x 2160 4K and it is HDR. The picture is sharp but dark. Any of the Dish menus are very dark. I had previously recorded the Olympic opening ceremony on my Living Room Hopper3 from 6:55 AM - 11 AM on NBC channel 4. In addition PTAT has recorded the Olympic opening ceremony on NBC channel 4 from 7:30 PM - Midnight on both of my Hopper3 receivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)