OMG - I need to vent

Well guys the story is not over yet.
When I get home from work yesterday my wife tells me a DISH CSR called her and said they were unable to find a sub contractor that would take the work, so they were cancelling my Hopper 3 upgrade. Man, FIOS is starting to sound really good right now. Except, I already bought the Hopper 3 outright from Amazon.

I don't understand the issue. The Dish is mounted at the peak of the roof on my 2 story colonial home. This is a modest 2000 sqft house. Its not a sky skrapper or Taj Mahal.

So its clear that DISH is not going to help me. Do you guys now recommend trying to get a local retailer to do it, or can I buy the LNB myself and get a gutter cleaner / window washer to go up there and put it on? Since I've already sunk money into the Hopper, a few more bucks on some extra dish hardware aren't going to kill me, if I can find out exactly what I need to buy.

I would find someone around town if I couldn't do it myself. I was having back issues when they did mine, I normally do all my own installs. Plenty handy men for hire probably less than what Dish charges. Its a 10 minute job changing LNB out. You need to change over to the Dish pro hybrid solo node also.

Or you could return Hopper3 if off Amazon.

3rd option it gets more expensive, is do a ground install yourself.

4th option is leave Dish. You're screwed if dish goes out of alignment or LNB dies.

I would find someone around town if I couldn't do it myself. I was having back issues when they did mine, I normally do all my own installs. Plenty handy men for hire probably less than what Dish charges. Its a 10 minute job changing LNB out. You need to change over to the Dish pro hybrid solo node also.
I certainly would NOT hire a handyman. Installers know how to how NOT to handle a dish. A handyman would likely not. He might nudge the dish out of alignment, then OP is stuck because Dish won't get up there to re-peak. I think his best option is to to return H3 to Amazon, then lease and let Dish install a ground solution.

Last edited:
Google DPH hybrid LNB for whichever Arc you are using. It attaches to the 1000.2 dish, so if you want to do the install, you can. I haven't looked into price, but I would guess between $20-50. Use Dishpointer.com to point the antenna.

I certainly would NOT hire a handyman. Installers know how to how NOT to handle a dish. A handyman would likely not. He might nudge the dish out of alignment, then OP is stuck because Dish won't get up there to re-peak. I think his best option is to to return H3 to Amazon, then lease and let Dish install a ground solution.

Not only that, but if this guy fell off your roof, you would be fully liable for his injuries or death.

Find a Dish contractor, upgrade the dish and lnb yourself (pole mount?), or send the receiver back and forget it.

Reactions: JSheridan
Not only that, but if this guy fell off your roof, you would be fully liable for his injuries or death.

Find a Dish contractor, upgrade the dish and lnb yourself (pole mount?), or send the receiver back and forget it.
IMO, his only "safe" (in more ways than one) move, is to come up with a Non-Roof mount option. If not, later on down the line if the Dish would need attention, he would probably run into the same problem.

Reactions: jrp and JSheridan
We are making the assumption that he has a 1000.2 dish. Perhaps he has a two dish installation or a 1000.4. There are variables here that we don't know.

Reactions: JSheridan
DIRT wouldn't help either. All they can say is contact a local retailer.
You would think being a customer for 15 years (without any past due account balances.) would count for a little something.

This only gets better. I contacted the retailer (through Amazon) that sold me the Hopper 3. He tells me to go on Craigslist to find an installer. Then he has the stones to tell me I need to do more research and he won't take the Hopper back because its already been activated. Perhaps he should do some research that Dish won't schedule the install without being provided with a SmartCard and Receiver ID. No wonder, so many companies are shipping off their jobs to India and Mexico. Seems no one here wants to work anymore.

This only gets better. I contacted the retailer (through Amazon) that sold me the Hopper 3. He tells me to go on Craigslist to find an installer. Then he has the stones to tell me I need to do more research and he won't take the Hopper back because its already been activated. Perhaps he should do some research that Dish won't schedule the install without being provided with a SmartCard and Receiver ID. No wonder, so many companies are shipping off their jobs to India and Mexico. Seems no one here wants to work anymore.

Contact AMAZON, and tell them you want to return it because: "Dish Network is unable to activate it".

Don't elaborate beyond that. If they get the idea it's defective, who are you to correct them?

Reactions: Tampa8

The number should of been on outside of box. However they never asked for it upfront on my install only after everything was hooked up and software updated did I call for activation and give smart card and reciever ID. . Many differences between your install and the one I had.

Contact AMAZON, and tell them you want to return it because: "Dish Network is unable to activate it".

Don't elaborate beyond that. If they get the idea it's defective, who are you to correct them?
+1. But I would DEFINITELY tell them one of their "sellers" is NOT selling free and clear product. This sounds too much like eBay...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)