OMG what have I done?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
1st off, I looked for but couldn't find the PC tuner card forum. It seems to have been removed? :confused:

OK, I've got a real mess going on..

I just put a brand new ASUS screen on my satellite PC.

It's a PC screen not a TV but I'm using it primarily as a TV.

In the past I had two screens on the pc, one is a Vizio 720p 32" screen in another room and the other was an OLD school GIANT pc screen with a tube, it weighs like 100lbs. Really. It's a 21" screen and it's huge.

The Vizio runs at 720p but the other screen runs at a different resolution. And the sound, in one room it was over the laser wire and in the other room it's from regular wires to little PC speakers.

A total mismatched setup.

Every time I would go from one room to the other I would have to terminate the satellite app, My Theater, open the sound card properties in windows and change it from the laser sound to the wired sound (or the other way around), turn off the screen, go to the other room, turn on the screen and speakers in there.

If I didn't do it just like that, the My Theater app would crash badly and cause me a lot of grief, it would go into a black screen that you can't get out of. :mad:

So, enough was enough. I have had too much of that and I decided to change things up a little.

So, I bought a new screen to replace that monster beast screen, it's an ASUS VH238 LED screen.
And to make sure that ALL the screen in the house run the same resolution I bought a box for the HDMI to split it 4 ways.
It has one HDMI in and four out. It passes the sound through as well.
I also bought an Nvidia GTS 450 video card.
And to hook them all up, I bought a 6; HDMI cable, a 30' HDMI cable and a 50' HDMI cable. They are a little long but I found out the hard way, cables don't stretch very well. Better to have extra and not need it than not enough.

So, from what I ~think~ should happen, the pc sends HDMI video and sound to the splitter box which then sends it to the two screens. Two for now, two more in the future.

I had total h*ll getting the Nvidia to work. It came up, windows tripped out in it's pants and spent 30 minutes "installing drivers" which I could not interrupt. I did not want windows to install anything.
So I go to Nvidia's site and do the automatic thing and it tells me what to download, I do, install it and it goes through it's own 30 minute install routine! :(

Then it reboots and I have proper video. It came up in 1920x1080 but I didn't want that, I wanted it in 720p to match the capabilities of the Vizio as it can not do 1080p, it can only do 720p or 1080i and I don't want 1080i !!!! :mad:
So I reset the screen resolution to what I want and it looks GREAT on the new ASUS screen. But, no sound. :(

So I spent another two hours uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, reinstalling Nvidia drivers. :mad:

Finally, I got the bleepin sound to play over the HDMI wire and I'm super happy with that. Looks awesome, sounds awesome!

But now, My Theater? Flakey. Sometimes I get a picture and sometimes not. I always get the sound but the picture just comes on sometimes. All the other My Theater stuff shows up, the menus, the EPG guide, all indications that it's functioning normally but it's not.

More times than not it has no video and it's a throw of the dice as to if it will work or not.

I can have a channel on, it looks great, sounds great then I change channels and it's a black screen with sound. It's not crashed or locked up because I can bring the My Theater menus up.
I checked to be certain the the video is turned on as there is an option to turn video on/off, I use it frequently when I switch screens from one room to another, a recent trick I learned a few months ago. So that is not the problem.

There is a screen in the menus about the IVR. I have no idea what IVR stands for but I know you can change the screen resolution with it. I tried all the various settings, namely the one for 720p and the one that says IVR with screen resolution. No help with those or any of the others. :(

There is a screen with stuff about "graphs" which I had to fiddle with after the nvidia drivers installed, it changed the sound card settings and MT complained that it couldn't connect to a graph so I went a-clickin till it quit complaining and the sound started working. I had video and sound so I left it alone after that. I do not know what graphs are for. Someone tried to explain it to me once and it went right over my head. I am not a programmer or a hacker. I can click things and follow basic directions but that's the limit of my PC skills. :(

Also, I opened up the VLC player and played back all sorts of things and they all play back perfectly. I have sound and video on everything, it's all in sync and it looks and sounds great to me. So that tells me the problem is with My Theater.

Can someone help me please? I'm tired, frustrated, hungry and have a terrible migraine from these stupid machines. I just can't think clearly to reason this out so I could sure use some clear headed guidance, I'm stuck here unable to watch satellite and it's a major bummer.. :(

I'm open to suggestions and advice because I'm fresh out of everything and at the end of my last nerve on this thing.

Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:
sounds as if windows went thru a basic install of the vid card (seems fine to me).... as for the screen windows should adjust to what it needs when u change the screen to which ever u choose (turn off pc reboot with screen u want playing)... the issue with my theater sounds like it has compatability problems with the vidcard that u installed (an old program with new vid card) or possibly a codec issue... in laymens terms graphs are like a map that show MT where to get its sound/vidio from... i havent used MT for a long time (it hasnt been updated in a long time)

You need to reinstall MyTheatre. Not to worry! Just reinstall right over the top of the old installation. You need the latest version 4.0.130 Download from here.
DVBCore/MyTheatre Homepage

You will not lose your settings or channel lists. To be sure you can copy the channel list files to another folder. In the MyTheatre folder the files to save are ...
channels.mdb and channelsbackup.mdb. Your settings are in the file, Settings.ini . If you save these files and drop them into a brand new installation it will become just the way you set the old one up. But, like I said, a reinstall should not change your stuff.

OH and to the first question, The DVB (PC) forum has been merged with the FTA forum. You're posted in the right place :)

I would recommend a few settings: Turn off IVR. Under the "IVR/OSD" tab select "Simple (no OSD)" . Below that select "Simple OSD info in Generic Mode" You may come back to this and try things after you stabilize the program.

The "AutoGraph" tab is where you select the codecs to use in MyTheatre. When MyTheatre installs, it trys to select a working set of codecs for your system. When you change stuff, ie the Video card, these codecs may not be optimal for your setup. A reinstall may select compatible codecs for you and solve some issues.

or you can try different codecs, selected in the dropdowns beside each entry.
the top box is your basic MPEG2 decoder, I use Cyberlink Video . This codec came with PowerDVD Player.
the next box is the H.264/AVC decoder, I use CoreAVC ( retail ver) PowerDVD10 came with a H.264/avc decoder as well
"video renderer" a few to choose from , most all work for me I'm using 9 now(default)
I prefer AC3Filter for audio decoder
After each change you have to turn the display off and back on to engage the changes. If you are using a skin, you may have a "Video Show/Hide" button to do this, or right click on the window and select display......

Audio Renderer, use "Default DirectSound Device"

Last edited:
Change my mind about Audio Renderer if, Some video cards with HDMI have their own Audio Renderer. It may be better to use that for your setup. That would leave your PC the ability to use it's own sound card and speakers for everything else. But purely a user choice here, not really needed one way or the other.
Come to think of it I'm sure the problem you had with the sound and the HDMI is because of this. The Video card has a built in sound card for the HDMI and you finally got the audio switched over to that sound card.

Last edited:
About MT and codecs: When running MT only uses the one video codec at a time, mpeg2 or H.264/AVC . So if you have problems with HD H.264 type stuff and not SD mpeg2 than we would look for a better codec for H.264/AVC and visa versa. Problems affecting both formats could be Video Renderer, so try a different one. If your not sure wich one you are using at the moment you can look at them, Right click: Settings >DirectShow Filters > allcodecs and renderers in use are displayed. Select one and the rest are under tabs in the window. You can look at information and select some options here.

Always try and be sure when troubleshooting that you have a very strong signal to work with, so you eliminate packet loss and frame drop issues.

Well, I reinstalled the app..
It didn't fix it..

If if go into the settings and turn off the IVR to "no OSD" then I get video, until I change channels a few times then it's back to the black screens.

Oh and another thing, the remote control does not work at all anymore. At. All.. :cry:

So with the on screen display turned off and no remote control, my system has been rendered almost totally useless.

I called my ex who is the one who installed this stupid app in the first place and asked him to come fix it. His reply? "You think you're so smart? Fix it yourself."
So I'm in way over my head now.

I can't use the old video card any more because it doesn't have HDMI. I have to stay with the new video..

I don't think the new video card is the problem because everything else works great on it. Just My Theater is broken.
I think it's an old, abandoned app that is not up to the times. I looked at the forum for it and everything there is frozen in time at 2009.

I don't know if this would have any bearing on it but the Windows 7 is the 64 bit one.

:(

Oh and here's a new thing it's doing...

It's "tearing" the picture.. It's never done this before.. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0453.resized.JPG
    IMG_0453.resized.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 210
I think I need to set the PC up in the middle of the street, back up a 1/4 mile, speed up to 150MPH and SMASH it into oblivion!

If you can do 150mph in a 1/4 mile, you definitely have my respect! :)

sorry, i have nothing more to offer.. :(

The guy in your avatar, I kind of feel about how he looks. Not the drums guy, the angry, screaming guy.. I feel like that today... :(

As for 150mph and 1/4 mile, I just made up arbitrary numbers out of thin air. It sounded crazy fast to me.
My son tells me "You drive like old people." I told him "I am old people."
So 10 mph over the speed limit is crazy fast to me.. :confused:

I think I fixed it. My remote control is working again after a week or more of not having one at all. THAT was annoying.

I'm not sure if the video is going to work right though, it seems to be after 8 hours of use. I guess I'll know after a few more days..

Fixing PC's is no fun.. I have no patience for it.. Or skills.. :(

Um, kinda fixed it..

Since I put the new video card in, and this one is waaaaay more powerful than the one it replaced, the picture is "jerky"

It looks like everything is playing in stop motion. Several times per second the picture freezes for just a split second, just enough to cause the picture to be very unsmooth, like an old stop motion animation film is the best way I can describe it.
When watching anything with motion, it's unbearable. I'm trying to watch the ballet on PBS right now and it's horrible, it's making me insane!

HD stuff, it's really, really bad. Lo-res stuff like MeTV, This, etc. it's not very noticeable. It never did this before I changed the video card... :(

So..

I installed the latest Nvidia drivers. I just checked for updates and it says none are available. I have driver 290.36 installed and I have it even checking everyday for beta updates.

I'm using Mytheater, still, and under settings, Autograph, I have it set for Cyberlink video DVD9.

2011-12-14_205212.jpg

The Cyberlink DVD thing is a few years old. So I got the new one, #11 and installed it.
Now I can not find any way to uninstall the old one, #9. I went to windows uninstall and it's not listed in there, at all.
I looked in the Cyberlink 9 folder and there is no uninstall app listed. I checked for hidden files and have it clicked to show all files, hidden and system.

I got an app called "de-crapify" (really) and it scanned the PC for everything it thinks is installed. It turns up a lot of stuff but not the Cyberlink #9.

I installed the new #11 version and it shows up in the windows "uninstall programs" list but not the #9. Both apps are co-existing on the PC, I can run either program but the only one with an uninstall app is the new one.
I would have thought it would replace and remove the old one during the install. :(

Now when I go into Mytheater is does not list the new #11 version. I can only select the old version.. :(

Why are these things so STUPID?? I really hate computers and they hate me back..

I should just pour gas on my house, toss a railroad flare over my shoulder, go to Tibet and become a Buddhist nun...

:(

try ffdshow.... or other codecs elecard is a good one for 422 vids, when messing with dvb never limit urself to 1 thing, kinda the reason that i disliked mytheater over dvbdream

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)