Omnidirectional OTA

spoonman0421

Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
One of my friends recommended this forum. This is a great forum.

After a brief talk with my friend where I did not listen to everything he had to recommend, I purchased an RCA ANT3022 antenna from best buy that I placed in my attic with an in-line signal amp from Radio Shack.

It works well except I cannot get one channel unless I point the antenna in a different direction. So I am dealing without my WB in HD.

I was going to purchase an omnidirectional antenna from Radio Shack to see if that would resolve my issue. TGW recommended (told me strongly) to post a message to get some advice.

Glad you like the Forum,
how about some info from you.
www.antennaweb.org look here for the placement of your towers. How far are you from the towers? Is the problem station not near the others?
While some people use Omnidrectional they can be problematic with multipath. Before you replace jsut re-aiming may help.

RS has a great return policy. Try the omni. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't return it. I had poor results with an omni myself, but others in my area have had good results. YMMV.

Thanks for the antennaweb.org site. Below are the digital channels in my area.
I will go ahead and move the antenna somewhere else this evening. Bestbuy is advertising a Samsung antenna (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=1091101853964). What do you think about this one?

The term multipath was mentioned in a previous post. I did some searching on that term and it sounds like it is is feedback that the antenna can pick up. What could correct this problem? I may have this issue as well. Every now and then, my HD channels just goes blank. I sound like a HDTV hypochondriac.

* red - uhf WJXT-DT 4.1 IND JACKSONVILLE FL 216° 5.9 42
* red - uhf WJCT-DT 7.1 PBS JACKSONVILLE FL 227° 6.0 38
* red - vhf WJXX-DT 25.1 ABC ORANGE PARK FL 216° 5.9 10
* red - uhf WAWS-DT 30.1 FOX JACKSONVILLE FL 227° 6.0 32
* red - uhf WTEV-DT 47.1 CBS JACKSONVILLE FL 223° 6.2 19
* red - vhf WTLV-DT 12.1 NBC JACKSONVILLE FL 216° 5.9 13
* red - uhf WJEB-DT 59.1 TBN JACKSONVILLE FL 222° 6.1 44
* red - uhf WJWB-DT 17.1 WB JACKSONVILLE FL 222° 6.0 34

Given the tight grouping and short distance, that Samsung may work for you, although channel 10 might be a problem for it. Make sure you can return it if it doesn't work out.

In your situation, a Silver Sensor antenna may be a very good choice. But, again, that channel 10 may be the fly in the ointment since it is VHF (albeit, high end VHF).

my vote is for the silver sensor as well. Although the distance is close, there must be a reason antennaweb coded his location as red...

spoonman0421 said:
...The term multipath was mentioned in a previous post. I did some searching on that term and it sounds like it is is feedback that the antenna can pick up. What could correct this problem? I may have this issue as well. Every now and then, my HD channels just goes blank. I sound like a HDTV hypochondriac.

* red - uhf WJXT-DT 4.1 IND JACKSONVILLE FL 216° 5.9 42
* red - uhf WJCT-DT 7.1 PBS JACKSONVILLE FL 227° 6.0 38
* red - vhf WJXX-DT 25.1 ABC ORANGE PARK FL 216° 5.9 10
* red - uhf WAWS-DT 30.1 FOX JACKSONVILLE FL 227° 6.0 32
* red - uhf WTEV-DT 47.1 CBS JACKSONVILLE FL 223° 6.2 19
* red - vhf WTLV-DT 12.1 NBC JACKSONVILLE FL 216° 5.9 13
* red - uhf WJEB-DT 59.1 TBN JACKSONVILLE FL 222° 6.1 44
* red - uhf WJWB-DT 17.1 WB JACKSONVILLE FL 222° 6.0 34

Feedback refers to a looping phenomenon where something output cycles around to the input. Multipath is not feedback, it refers to receiving a desired signal from more than one direction, typically caused by reflection from nearby structure. It causes ghosting in analog reception, and loss of digital lock in 8VSB reception.

The best way to fight this is to have line of sight, have the antenna as high and unobstructed as possible, position so certain structure elements can strategically block reflections (not easy), and to use a highly-directional antenna. At 6 miles, signal level should not be a problem at all, even with low power broadcasts. If you are in a highly urban setting multipath can be worse.

Even with as much as an 11-degree arc, I would still recommend the most highly-directional antenna you can get. Point it in the general direction, and tweak for the most problematic station. With any luck, the rest will fall in line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts