ON Demand Parental Control Issues

greglwood

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Unfortunately I am in an area where i can only get Low end DSL service. My kids love the hopper and are constantly selecting on demand things to download. Problem is these eat up my bandwidth and are interferring with my work. I turned on parental controls and restricted purchases but it appears it does not consider a free movie a purchase and allows it to be downloaded.

I know i can beat them over the head and make them stop but am I overlooking something here? Is there a way to turn of ON Demand on the Joey's only? I know i could unbridge them but we do use the home media for music and family pictures and would like to keep that.

'Unbridging' will not remove ondemand from the Joey's, will only remove apps and dlna. Only way I know of would be to disconnect hopper from the internet while you're working.

Are you sure about that? Until i bridged any attempt to view on-demand guide would pop up a menu that said something to the effect hook to the internet to use on-demand.

Well this just get more and more weird. I have an two episodes of weeds recorded and any attempt to play them results in the joey asking for the passcode. These were NOT recorded via on-demand but rather off the satellite. It also appears to do this when you go to some of the premium move channels. Maybe all of them, not sure.

Parental control will require the passcode depending on the rating. Weeds has rating of TV-MA, so it should be asking for it. You may want to look into locking the system, it should also ask for passcode before downloading. Older Dish receivers are like this, the Hopper could be like this as well. Can someone chime it, I am not at work so I cannot check till tomorrow.

Ok, found out two things after playing more. 1st despite the fact the far left radio says none under ratings restrictions if you click edit ratings it has NR/AO set be default. I guess none is not really none.

Once i removed this i was no longer being ask for code to play any recordings or watch any channels. However this was a bitter win in finding this. it appears that if you have restrict purchases on the system operates in locked mode. When in locked mode it asks for code when you select home media. I can find no settings in parental controls that controls this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)