On demand vs. Netflix

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

titanman100

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
I have 1.5 dsl and realize that is not the ideal speed for on demand, but is the best I can do. Deca is installed at my house and I have a xbox 360 that is hooked up wireless. My problem is when I watch a netflix movie I can begin watching within 5 min. Without any interruption. When I use on demand it takes 3 hours to download a movie and maybe I can begin watching in a hour and a half. Why is direct tv on demand so slow where netflix works great for me.

I have 1.5 dsl and realize that is not the ideal speed for on demand, but is the best I can do. Deca is installed at my house and I have a xbox 360 that is hooked up wireless. My problem is when I watch a netflix movie I can begin watching within 5 min. Without any interruption. When I use on demand it takes 3 hours to download a movie and maybe I can begin watching in a hour and a half. Why is direct tv on demand so slow where netflix works great for me.

That speed sucks. Also keep in mind the picture will be different. Netflix even has different quality between Internet speed. I have 20MB and stream Netflix HD with No issues. It looks much nicer on my TV than my parents 1.5MB with Qwest.

I am still stunned you get get 1.5MB given the speed was considered fast in 1998 when I got cable internet. Not to mention my Verizon 3G on my Droid X is about as fast.

I have 15 meg service and it streams perfect. I wouldn't honestly suggest anything less then 3 meg service for streaming anything.

My mother in law streams Netflix via her Roku box with 768k cable internet but, the quality isn't as good. In fact, we are gonna get her switched over to AT&T DSL since they are running a special $14.95/mo for a year with 3 meg service or $19.95/mo for a year with 6 meg service.

She is so frustrated with it now she is ready to just cancel. I was like why? You can get faster for less then she is paying now.

Directv system doesn't lower the bit-rate to match your connection speed.

Exactly! The Directv 1080p downloads actually look very very good, and Netflix's streaming wont get near that.

And Big Dawg, in MANY areas outside the city, the best DSL still offered is up to 3 and 6 mbps. 768 down in my area is $30/month, which is ridiculous.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)