on demand

Status
Please reply by conversation.
???????????

DTV offers 2 methods, internet or those "watch now" VOD programs they force download from the bird to your DVR.

DTV's VOD is a joke though, you cannot watch it in a few minutes, you have to wait for it to download. they limit the speed they send it, so a 2 hour HD movie could take 12-16 hours to download!

don't get me wrong, i use it occasionally. but it is not TRUE VOD.

???????????

DTV offers 2 methods, internet or those "watch now" VOD programs they force download from the bird to your DVR.

DTV's VOD is a joke though, you cannot watch it in a few minutes, you have to wait for it to download. they limit the speed they send it, so a 2 hour HD movie could take 12-16 hours to download!

don't get me wrong, i use it occasionally. but it is not TRUE VOD.

I've use it to download some 30 minute and some 1 hour HD programs from SHOWTIME a lot lately. It doesn't take 3 hours to download a 30 minute program or 6 hours for me to download a 1 hour program.

don't get me wrong, but maybe your internet speed sucks.

I don't find the speed an issue, just the lack of anything good. I don't have any premium channels and that's where everything good is. :(

it depends on a lot of things, and DTV is getting better lately. but a search of the forum here will back up what i said about it has almost ZERO to with your speed as DTV limits the bandwidth. no it won't work on dial up, but folks with 1 meg or 10 meg connections report about teh same DL speeds, depending on time of day. i can pull torrents faster than i can pull VOD from DTV.

i will say i have not pulled any 30-60 min shows, just full length movies. a SD movie takes about 2-4 hours at times, 5-6 at others. HD movies(1080i i ain't paying for a 1080p when i can get it free elsewhere) take at least 2x as long and sometimes 3x. i just queue them and watch them a day or two later, not a big deal to me. i just wanted to clarify that it is NOT TRUE VOD.

it depends on a lot of things, and DTV is getting better lately. but a search of the forum here will back up what i said about it has almost ZERO to with your speed as DTV limits the bandwidth. no it won't work on dial up, but folks with 1 meg or 10 meg connections report about teh same DL speeds, depending on time of day. i can pull torrents faster than i can pull VOD from DTV.

i will say i have not pulled any 30-60 min shows, just full length movies. a SD movie takes about 2-4 hours at times, 5-6 at others. HD movies(1080i i ain't paying for a 1080p when i can get it free elsewhere) take at least 2x as long and sometimes 3x. i just queue them and watch them a day or two later, not a big deal to me. i just wanted to clarify that it is NOT TRUE VOD.

When the 1080P first came out, I set up a wireless set up and downloaded the "Bucket List" I have a 3 mg speed connection and it took over 24 hours to DL ... knowing that, I pretty much gave up on the idea of using the internet for dl'ing movies like this.

Are there any powerline adapters or wireless ethernet bridges that work with Windows 7 so I can hook-up my HDDVR? I have tried 1 of each but they apparently don't work in W7 yet.

Are there any powerline adapters or wireless ethernet bridges that work with Windows 7 so I can hook-up my HDDVR? I have tried 1 of each but they apparently don't work in W7 yet.

WINDOWS 7 doesn't have anything to do with it.

You connect one powerline adapter ethernet wire to a free output on your router and the other powerline adapter ethernet wire to the DIRECTV HD DVR.

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried two different brands of powerlines and I can't get the software to recognize the adapter even though the indcators are lit on both, including the "ethernet". As a result the DVR does not show or connect to my network.

Personally, at my house, with my setup HR23, 8meg cable internet, I have never had to wait that long to watch anything with VOD.

I regularly rent 1080P movies, at least twice a month, and NEVER had to wait longer then like 5-10 minutes before it started.

You do know that just because the movie is downloading you can start watching it , right? It continues to download as you watch.

VOD downloads don't seem to be throttled for me. It may take a few minutes for the downloads to start but they seem to come down pretty fast. My only complaint is the the HD content is not very great unless you want to pay extra. And where is HBO On Demand? I also wish I could filter out the PPV VOD listings.

Anyone know what happened to Showtime on demand? Just getting ready to download the current season of US of Tara and...poof...the channel is gone.

Network connection

Do you have to use their router or adapters or can you purchase something from a Best Buy, like a wireless USB 2.0 adapter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)