On Demand

Coolnate32

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Hi, I am very intrested in HBO, Showtime... and the movie channels on demand, but how do they work? If you add the movie channels do you automatically get that on demand, for example, if I had HBO would I get HBO on demand?

I can take this question a few ways...

Did you mean HD or just digital cable on demand?

If your cable co has pay channels they (should) have on demand...

For HD they are still working on it...gradually they'll be more in HD but since it takes up more room etc.

If you upgrade to HD you should have a HD ondemand (although they were working on the switchover from adelphia to comcast so it took about a half week berfore it was hooked up)

coolnate - The simple answer is YES. If you pay for the premium service, you will have access to that premium service's OnDemand programming at no extra charge. (The same is true for their HD channels.)

So, if you pay for the HBO package, you would also get all of the HBO OnDemand programming at no add'l cost (and HBO-HD if you had an HD Cable Box).

Also if your market offers HD On Demand which is quite likely and you have an HD box with Comcast you can get some free HD On Demand content. If you order Starz and Encore you will get all the SD Starz and Encore channels available in your market. You will also get Starz HD along with both Starz On Demand and Encore On Demand. If you have an HD box with Comcast you will also get quite a few HD Movies on Demand from both Starz and Encore.

Also Comcast has many free movies for all digital customers in HDTV via their HD On Demand section. Right now the only premium networks that have HD On Demand available are Starz and Encore. I am however hearing that deals are being worked on with HBO, Cinemax and Showtime for HD On Demand content but only time will tell how far those go.

OnDemand is the one thing that may keep me from switching away from Comcast. At least for the time being, until U-Verse, and possibly satellite (although doubtful), can catch up.

Yup its also a big reason why I had trouble leaving Bright House Networks and also why I don't feel like leaving Comcast up here in Derry, NH. I nearly always find out about a great show say on Showtime 10 weeks late like Dexter so Showtime On Demand was great for catching up and watching the first 11 shows of the season of Dexter all at once. Talk about benging lol:D

I'm also quite sad to hear that Verizon is getting out of New Hampshire which means no more FIOS rollouts. But with all that said it doesn't surprise me considering the fact it will be very hard for Verizon to take away Comcast customers in this area as honestly Comcast here is quite good and a strong system unlike other area's of the country such as Tampa Bay with Bright House Networks. This is a more rural area costing much more money to string fiber so with that along with the fact that Comcast is very good here makes it seem quite hard for them to get a return anytime soon on that investment. Its always a curse sometimes because in our case just the sheer fact our cable company is very good here is the curse that keeps FIOS from evolving here so its really and win lose situation for us. We win with Comcast but lose with Verizon.

Other than price, I don't really have any complaints about Comcast either. Excellent PQ. Lots of programming. Incredible OnDemand selection of FREE stuff.

Although, I did prefer the 3412 before the last software update, despite the occasional remote control non-response issue. The new sw is a little weird.

I am curious about the coming Tivo SW option. It better not be $12.99/month like standalone Tivo. F*** that!

Other than price, I don't really have any complaints about Comcast either. Excellent PQ. Lots of programming. Incredible OnDemand selection of FREE stuff.

Although, I did prefer the 3412 before the last software update, despite the occasional remote control non-response issue. The new sw is a little weird.

I am curious about the coming Tivo SW option. It better not be $12.99/month like standalone Tivo. F*** that!

I'm hearing from my local people that our local price for Tivo software will be 12.99/month so I saw your post and couldn't help posting. Now just to make sure it won't cost 12.99/month extra just that the DVR Service fee will cost 12.99/month. So the net result will be an increase of 3 bucks a month per DVR.

Here in Derry, NH we have the rental fee which is the same for all boxes. If we get a DVR we must pay the box rental fee "and" the DVR Service fee which today is 10 bucks a month per box. So that DVR Service fee will cost 12.99/month instead of 10 bucks a month per box when Tivo is offered. I'm assuming current DVR service as we know it today will stay the same price.

I'm also told by my local people that Digital Premier with either internet and/or digital phone service customers will get a free Tivo upgrade for any DVR boxes under their account. Of course all DVR charges besides Tivo will still apply but just no extra charge for Tivo.

I'm also told that for customers who aren't Digital Premier customers but are triple play customers might also get a free Tivo service upgrade. Now again all of this is rumor and is just what I've been told. Most of these are final guides they have made for local pricing but might change when the product gets released. Also the Tivo pricing will be highly local in that one market may charge 5 bucks a month extra while another may charge an extra 2 bucks a month extra. Some markets may offer a free Tivo service upgrade for triple play customers while other markets won't. I just want you all to keep all of this in mind.

Now I have no ways to take pictures and I'm not allowed because of an NDA but I still say that I'm using the Tivo software in my home today and thus far am very very very very happy with it. Sorry but I cannot really say anything more at least not at this time and I'm sorry about that.

Here, they just raised the HD DVR fee to 11.95. So, if Tivo is 12.99, it's only 1.04 more. I can deal with that. They don't charge the basic outlet fee for the first box, so it's only 11.95 total. However, for a second DVR, they charge the add'l outlet fee of 6.95 PLUS the 11.95 DVR fee. That is outrageous.

I currently have Dish and Comcast just took over my rinky dink cable company. I'm doing as much research as possible and I do have a question. Dish carries Turner Classic Movies yet Comcast doesn't, but they offer it On Demand. I've been all over Comcast and Turner's site and have not been able to find a program guide for On Demand. Does OD feature everything TCM offers in the month ( like Feb is Oscar month) or does OD just have a few random titles that TCM owns? Thanks

I currently have Dish and Comcast just took over my rinky dink cable company. I'm doing as much research as possible and I do have a question. Dish carries Turner Classic Movies yet Comcast doesn't, but they offer it On Demand. I've been all over Comcast and Turner's site and have not been able to find a program guide for On Demand. Does OD feature everything TCM offers in the month ( like Feb is Oscar month) or does OD just have a few random titles that TCM owns? Thanks

Comcast has TCM in my area as part of the Digital Classic tier. This is the regular channel, not On Demand. We don't have TCM On Demand here, so I can't answer your question with absolute certainty, but I think it would be selected films only.

Where are you located? Perhaps TCM is available to you but only on the digital tiers.

Sorry, Williamsport. Used to be Suscom.

I checked this out. I looked at the Comcast website and put an address located in Williamsport. You are correct, TCM is not available as a regular channel. It is available On Demand but only has 4 programs as of today and 2 of them are trailers.

I notice that you were Suscom until recently. Perhaps TCM will be available to you in the future because Comcast has it available just about everywhere else. Probably a contract issue or perhaps a bandwidth issue.

How does on demand work? Do you guys pay for it ? What does it normally cost?
Is this the same as pay per view? If not, what is pay per view?

I am a newbie getting comcast hd so would appreiate help for my mundane ques. :)

ON Demand is a service that Comcast offers as part of your cable service. There is a lot of free content as well as pay-per-view content available through ON Demand

On Demand service isn't just a service Comcast offers just to make sure you know this. On Demand in the TV realm means you can watch whatever is available On Demand whenever you want with full control. You simply browse the list of movies etc and once you find a show listed you can play it back right away with full pause, rewind and fast forward control.

On Demand is more a means of delivery for different types of content which can range from PPV (charge per movie), free content and subscription (free unlimited use with a subscription) content. This can greatly differ from market to market and from TV company to TV company.

So in simple terms your PPV offerings most likely are available On Demand but its still billed like old PPV Movies. Most PPV On Demand offerings are about 3.99 per movie.

Most cable companies offer free On Demand content from different networks such as TNT, Comedy Central, Discovery etc.

HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, TMC, Encore and Starz offer subscription content On Demand. If your an HBO customer you most likely would get access to HBO On Demand at no extra charge. All content available on HBO On Demand is free for unlimited usage. The same is true for all the other subscription channels I listed above.

Also DirecTV is soon to start offering On Demand content as well. Some content will be delivered by satellite while the rest will require you to connect their HR20 box to your own internet connection (broadband only).

Comcast offers nearly all On Demand content for free (some may require a subscription like HBO etc). What content that isn't free on Comcast will be PPV Movies On Demand which do have an extra charge for each movie watched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)