On my trip to Italy I saw a LOT of FTA/KU Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bryansr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
S. D. co. CA.
I just got home from a trip to Italy where I saw a LOT of FTA/KU band dishes. I even watched TV in Hotels where they used them. Everywhere we went dishes were mounted in every possible location on building and decks of apartment buildings.

BryanSR

Wow! Yes, when I left Europe around 10 years ago they were already leaps and bounds ahead of the USA. I am sure FTA is a lot more wide spread now !

Any pictures of those pizza dish?

FTA isn't really that big here but cardsharing is spreading like virus in Europe the last 5 years with all these Linux receivers and broadband DSL penetration in all countries..

But it isn't allowed to talk about those things here, i am just telling how it is, it's insane!

Mostly from former Soviet communist countries.

I took over 500 pictures on the trip with my 8 mega-pixel Nikon camera, they are very large and I haven't had time to sift thru all of them yet. I will see how many pictures I have of dishes and shrink them down & post them.
We flew from Atlanta to Niece, Fr., took a bus from there down the Mediterranean Coast thru Monaco into the Italian Riviera all the way about 60 miles south of Rome. We visited many of the historical places & buildings along the way.

I have one picture with my on my memory stick that I will post.

BryanSR

Attachments

• DSCN1267.JPG
    DSCN1267.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 264
Last edited:
How are we doing likvid,

I know what your talking about every USA sat forum i go on seems to think most stuff is fta here in the uk , I wish it was fta

Likvid said:
FTA isn't really that big here but cardsharing is spreading like virus in Europe the last 5 years with all these Linux receivers and broadband DSL penetration in all countries..

But it isn't allowed to talk about those things here, i am just telling how it is, it's insane!

Mostly from former Soviet communist countries.

Well it was when I lived in Glasgow UK around 10 years ago :) back in the analog days! I had THOUSANDS of FTA channels/feeds, including all the French channels in Secam (Black and white)

What about FreeView from the BBC and BSKYB thats going to be a FTA satellite service!

What about all the FTA channels listed on Lyngsat over Europe? A LOT more choice than here that's for sure :)

BBC 1,2,3,4, BBC high def, and itv 1234 channels are FTA , But ch4 and channel 5 and five life and five u.s.a are FTV which you need a card for which cost £20 for the card

Yes you can get french, german, arab, spanish channels etc but i am talking about fta channels in english

Freeview is a DTT system http://www.freeview.co.uk/ type in your old postcode and see if you can get it,

Also there is a pay DTT aswell http://www.topuptv.com/newcustomer/home.html

Then there is freesat from sky http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/ or you can pay £20 for a FTV card from them,

And soon bbc is going to start a fta satellite system of its own,

I am lucky where i am as i can get from 72.5 EAST to 61.5 WEST

PSB said:
Well it was when I lived in Glasgow UK around 10 years ago :) back in the analog days! I had THOUSANDS of FTA channels/feeds, including all the French channels in Secam (Black and white)

What about FreeView from the BBC and BSKYB thats going to be a FTA satellite service!

What about all the FTA channels listed on Lyngsat over Europe? A LOT more choice than here that's for sure :)

Last edited:
Very cool! Almost FTA channels! back 10 years ago, Eurosports, Sky1, MTV....... and many more were FTA.

I used to get ALL the Glasgow Celtic (And many more) home games, with multi camera angles.......

EVERY soccer game in Europe or Euro cup nights.......

Time for a Slingbox club I think!

The Germans got the best FTA market so the German pay channel provider Premiere got problems selling subs as they average German doesn't see any reason to pay for anything as you get the same content on FTA anyway.

PSB said:
Very cool! Almost FTA channels! back 10 years ago, Eurosports, Sky1, MTV....... and many more were FTA.

Those days are gone, Sky is part of Sky and is a pay channel, Eurosport can be found but with German language FTA and MTV is encrypted, except again the German version of MTV.

I remember back in 1983 when i installed my first dish, a 1.8m dish, there was only two sats that broadcasted cable-tv channels to headends in Europe, they were not targeted at DTH households, i could get Filmnet, The Movie Channel, Screensport and a lot more, all FTA.

1 year later they started encrypting as more people found out that you could get free movie channels from a satellite dish.

And not to be forgotten when they started broadcasting CNN Headline News direct feed from USA on Intelsat 27.5W to Europe, now we instead got a boring CNN International or Euro version.

I think the period 1983 to 1985 was the funniest and most interesting period in this area, the U.S had their 10-12 feet C-band dishes and Houston Tracker receivers and the all glory Drake receivers.

Too bad you can't turn back time.

Yes those days were gone before I left the UK! It was called going digital, but there are still FAR more FTA channels over Europe than over the USA :(

so how come you moved to the usa?

PSB said:
Yes those days were gone before I left the UK! It was called going digital, but there are still FAR more FTA channels over Europe than over the USA :(

The Simpson's are free here :D

(SLAP! The "American" wife just slapped me)

Seriously have you ever been to Glasgow, if you had you would not be asking!

The ONLY city in the western world where you take your life in your hands for wearing the wrong color of shirt :eek:

PSB said:
The Simpson's are free here :D

(SLAP! The "American" wife just slapped me)

Seriously have you ever been to Glasgow, if you had you would not be asking!

The ONLY city in the western world where you take your life in your hands for wearing the wrong color of shirt :eek:

Thats sad, Glasgow is a beautiful place. I had a friend who spent 6 months there for school.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)