On-screen pop-up messages in Dish's system

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I was bored, so I started scrolling through James Long's channel listing chart for Dish.

Near the bottom of the list, there is a section of Popup Text Channels. These are messages that can be triggered to display on-screen on Dish receivers if Dish sends the code to do so.

Now obviously, many of these messages are seriously outdated. However, since they are still in the channel listing chart, this means that Dish is still uplinking them. The fact that Dish is still uplinking some of these old messages gave me a laugh, so I thought that I would share some of my favorite ones here.

19814 TXT14
Join mydish communities to connect with other customers, post your questions, and earn badges. Visit communities.dish.com today!

That website no longer works, giving a Server Not Found message. Whoops! :p

19816 TXT16
As a valued Dish customer you are eligible to receive HBO for the special low price of only $10/month! Please visit mydish.com/HBO10 or call 855-318-6905 to take advantage of this special offer.

19901 BMG02

Want more HBO? Watch great HBO shows and movies at dishanywhere.com

19902 BMG03

Want more Cinemax? Watch great Cinemax shows and movies at dishanywhere.com

19910 BMG11

Watch HBO anywhere. Dial **HOPPER on a mobile device to download the free DISH Anywhere app

It would be nice to think that Dish is still preparing to actually offer these channels (especially the $10/month offer) but these are obviously old messages that never got cleaned up after the whole HBO/Cinemax debacle.

19926 BMG26
This Viacom channel is no longer available. Visit DISHPromise.com or Ch. 171 for updates.

19927 BMG27

This Viacom channel is no longer available. Visit DISHPromise.com for updates.

19928 BMG28

Este canal de Viacom no esta disponible. Visite DISHPromise.com.

These messages have me mystified, since there is nothing on dishpromise.com about Viacom, and channel 171 is currently Nickelodeon West. So, I have no idea if these are left over from an old dispute, or if Dish is preparing for an upcoming dispute with Viacom. :what2

I see a lot of those..like 4071, 4072, 4073...
Those channels are not available to regular customers. You can see in the chart I linked in the first post that they are marked with a red X as Not Available (internal testing). So, it is probably best to be quiet about the content of those channels. Having said that, I can tell you that those channels were previously used for messages about the Fox owned-and-operated stations dispute, months before the channels actually got pulled. ;)

Those happen t to say something about Grey Television putting customers in the middle of negotiations..
Based on other publicly-available information, though, I did post a thread here about the possibility of that upcoming dispute awhile back. Dispute between Dish and Gray Media Group looming?

By the way, if anyone needs a dual-tuner OTA adapter for your Dish receiver, the offer that I posted in that thread still stands. Where I live, I cannot receive my local Gray Television owned stations OTA, so my spare adapters would not do me any good anyway if the channels do get pulled. :(

I didn't even realize I could see them. There are a BUNCH. I can' t possibly check them all..but many of them are blank.
Out of curiosity, what model of receiver do you have? Do you also see the HDSKD and SKDL channels? (5786 through 5815, 5858 through 5861, and 5980 through 5986) Those can be quite useful if you like sports. They got me through the Fox Sports Net dispute without missing any Cleveland Indians games. ;)

I was bored, so I started scrolling through James Long's channel listing chart for Dish.

19926 BMG26
This Viacom channel is no longer available. Visit DISHPromise.com or Ch. 171 for updates.

19927 BMG27
This Viacom channel is no longer available. Visit DISHPromise.com for updates.

19928 BMG28
Este canal de Viacom no esta disponible. Visite DISHPromise.com.

These messages have me mystified, since there is nothing on dishpromise.com about Viacom, and channel 171 is currently Nickelodeon West. So, I have no idea if these are left over from an old dispute, or if Dish is preparing for an upcoming dispute with Viacom. :what2

Those were from 2016. Uplinked on 4/19/16. You can do a search on his site for any channel number and it will provide all the uplinks it appears in. Searching for 19926 shows this is when it was uplinked:

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
Those were from 2016. Uplinked on 4/19/16. You can do a search on his site for any channel number and it will provide all the uplinks it appears in. Searching for 19926 shows this is when it was uplinked:

Thanks! Like I said, I still think it is funny that these really old messages are still in Dish's system, though. I imagine it would cause a lot of confusion and generate a lot of phone calls if Dish accidentally triggered any of these, especially the HBO ones. :D

Out of curiosity, what model of receiver do you have? Do you also see the HDSKD and SKDL channels? (5786 through 5815, 5858 through 5861, and 5980 through 5986) Those can be quite useful if you like sports. They got me through the Fox Sports Net dispute without missing any Cleveland Indians games. ;)

I have a Hopper...couple of Joeys and a wireless Joey. And I definitely get those channels on purpose... but that's about all I can say, I'm sure. I can't possibly go through all the channels I get. I found a channel or 2 one night that showed the uplink statuses...and transponder statuses.

On standby...brwak glass for channel dispute
Thanks! Like I said, I still think it is funny that these really old messages are still in Dish's system, though. I imagine it would cause a lot of confusion and generate a lot of phone calls if Dish accidentally triggered any of these, especially the HBO ones. :D

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
I have a Hopper...couple of Joeys and a wireless Joey. And I definitely get those channels on purpose... but that's about all I can say, I'm sure. I can't possibly go through all the channels I get. I found a channel or 2 one night that showed the uplink statuses...and transponder statuses.
Yep, channels 5842, 5847, and 5989. (INFO9) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)