On the right path to HD in the RV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rlcjr323

Original poster
May 25, 2011
Illinois
New guy here to the forum, but not to Directv. I actually was a Primestar customer way back when.

Anyway I have a lot of experience with the HIRD SD recievers and the old single LNB 18" dish on the road with our camper. Since the last time we were out we have updated our travel TV to HD and our reciever. We now have a H21-200 for the road. Our dish here at home is the Slimline 3. I have been doing some reading here and believe that I need to get another SL 3 dish with the same LNB to take on the road. I have an idea for a portable steel mount to support and level the wider dish so that is not an issue.

I also have a Accutrac 22 meter to use when setting up the dish and have downloaded the Azimuth, Skew, and Elevation for here and the places we camp. Also have found on this great forum some good info on tuning the 101 satellite to get started.

Let me know if I am on the right track here, or have forgotten anything. Planning a test here at home after the new SL3 arrives before we take off in a few weeks. Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys! sounds like you are on your way... I use a Phase III dish with a SL5 LNB when I camp as the smaller dish is easier to set up & find the satellites, practice, practice & practice as the Slimlines are a bear to aim when you are setting up camp.

Thanks for the reply. I considered finding an old triple dish and modifying it since they are smaller and easier to store. I imagine it would be a simple job to fit a new SL3 into the feed arm. I wish I had one of those smaller dishes laying in my "dish graveyard", but they are just too new around here. All that's laying out there is a couple 18 inchers, a Hughesnet w/o feed arm, and my old Primestar. I find a lot of these old dishes at abandoned farmsteads where the old house gets bulldozed. The owners usually let you have the old dish if you are willing to pull the pole. I have recycled several 18" set-ups for friends and family to use over the years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts