OnDemand gives Error and Shows & movies say wait an hour

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaveTheBrit

Original poster
Mar 22, 2018
Near Houston, Tx
Several days ago I switched from an old SD system to a Genie HR44/500 matched to a Samsung HD Series 9 (9000)

We live deep in country with high trees where cable company cannot provide Internet, But we use DirecTV satellite.

For Internet Access, AT&T recommended we try "Iphone Personal Hotspot", so... After Initial setuo :-
Menu shows Internet is connected. Download Speed test goes to about half way between HD(1080) and 4K.

However,
- When I go to "On Demand" it gives the error 1000(DTV) currently not available
- When I go to Shows or Movies I get the message that they are updating and to check back in an hour (BUT it's been like that for quite a few days

ALSO - I JUST SAW YOUR TOPIC that DirecTv would push out a new update in late October. I was very pleased to see that it had pictures because I can see from your pictures of the MENU that I do NOT have the latest update, and of course the installer guy rushed out before attempting to verify !!

The DirecTV installer told us that he didn't think IPHONE Hotspot would be strong enough, but I've had 3 different AT&T people assure us it would
AND - we get what seems like reasonable Download Speed with a Limit of about 18G of data/month.

ANY SUGGESTIONS "PLEEEEEAAAASE"

Several days ago I switched from an old SD system to a Genie HR44/500 matched to a Samsung HD Series 9 (9000)

We live deep in country with high trees where cable company cannot provide Internet, But we use DirecTV satellite.

For Internet Access, AT&T recommended we try "Iphone Personal Hotspot", so... After Initial setuo :-
Menu shows Internet is connected. Download Speed test goes to about half way between HD(1080) and 4K.

However,
- When I go to Shows or Movies I get the message that they are updating and to check back in an hour (BUT it's been like that for quite a few days

ALSO - I JUST SAW YOUR TOPIC that DirecTv would push out a new update in late October. I was very pleased to see that it had pictures because I can see from your pictures of the MENU that I do NOT have the latest update, and of course the installer guy rushed out before attempting to verify !!

The DirecTV installer told us that he didn't think IPHONE Hotspot would be strong enough, but I've had 3 different AT&T people assure us it would
AND - we get what seems like reasonable Download Speed with a Limit of about 18G of data/month.

Don't complain to the Installer ...
Your OD stuff typically can take 24 to 72 hours to populate is the wrong word, but work and show up I guess is the words.

Once channel 1000 pops in you should be good.

As for the Updated Guide, that is also not the installers fault, he can't force it either ...
YOU can force it if your interested .... or you can wait for it to hit your recvr.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
:welcome to Satelliteguys DaveTheBrit!

If you are up between 2AM and 6AM your time you can download the lastest firmware. Do a reset of your HR44 through the menu. The dvr will shut off. As soon as you see the lights on the faceplate light up, enter 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. The latest firmware will download.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
:welcome to Satelliteguys DaveTheBrit!

If you are up between 2AM and 6AM your time you can download the lastest firmware. Do a reset of your HR44 through the menu. The dvr will shut off. As soon as you see the lights on the faceplate light up, enter 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. The latest firmware will download.

Raoul, Thanks for your reply,
The series 9 TV remote is a VERY simple 'SMART' Remote with only about 5 buttons on it (there are not any individual buttons for each number).
One of the buttons has 4 numbers on it something like 0123. I used it once when it asked me for a PIN and showed all 10 numbers on the screen.
Will I see those numbers on the screen under the conditions you describe or do I need a different remote that has a button for each number???

The series 9 TV remote is a VERY simple 'SMART' Remote with only about 5 buttons on it (there are not any individual buttons for each number).
One of the buttons has 4 numbers on it something like 0123. I used it once when it asked me for a PIN and showed all 10 numbers on the screen.
Will I see those numbers on the screen under the conditions you describe or do I need a different remote that has a button for each number???

Use your Directv remote, not your TV remote.

Reactions: Jimbo
Call me Chip, everyone does!

However,

You can update to the latest at anytime since the latest firmware is in the stream for that receiver daily (0X1037), check my link in my sig for how to update step by step. The latest firmware for the HR44 is available during the day unlike some other receivers so you don't have to wait for the 3 AM to 7 AM window.

On-demand can take a few hours to show up and sometimes shorter or longer but if you are not running the hot-spot 24/7 I think you will have issues keeping the service active on the HR44. Also the HR does not do well with buffering, I think they forgot to write that into the software unlike what you see with a service like Netflix. So you will often find that the video doesn't start or drops out in the middle. Maybe you will have better luck but I think if you are going to be sharing it from an iPhone which is also being used and leaving the house regularly you will have issues.

Also I am not sure how chatty the receiver is but it might actually use more BW then your cap for just being on-line. That might be stretch but just make sure to keep an eye on it should you get this setup to work.

Using a hotspot is not practical, you will exceed your data ca[p really fast...

can't edit my post, but I was quick to read the post and thought he had the H44 and not the HR44, for that he will have to update during the window (3 AM to 7 AM ET) if he wants to update to the latest non CE release (0X1037). Sorry

Chip, TexasBrit and TechieFan - THANKS for your comments - I had originally posted the questions on the DirecTV forum itself and got zero replies
- SO SORRY about my stupid mistake over which remote to use. I have another problem with my new Samsung Smart TV and my mind just got confused.
- I had to unexpectedly leave town for about a week this morning so will see what the status is when I get back and try your upgrade ideas if no improvement.
- As far as Internet - EVERYONE of the big companies say that they cannot provide internet service to our house which is only about 30 miles outside of FLAT Houston area. There are a couple of small local companies that do offer it, presumably by tower, but I haven't yet found anybody happy with both speed and customer service, even when just using it with a PC.
It was the 3rd lady we talked to from AT&T that suggested using the Iphone - as she does. She says she lives in a small town(like us) and even though the 'plan' says it will reduce speed when you exceed your data, she finds very little slowdown. However the main reason she suggested the phone was that, YES AT&T offer hotspot 'boxes' (which presumably get around issues of leaving the house with the phone), but
a) These 'boxes' work very similar to the iphone with just a little extra data, so why not at least try the iphone first to see if it works
b) The 'boxes' cost a lot more than the phone method, and often require a 2-year commitment, so again try the phone first to see how it performs,,,
CHEERS - Dave

Chip, TexasBrit and TechieFan - THANKS for your comments - I had originally posted the questions on the DirecTV forum itself and got zero replies
- SO SORRY about my stupid mistake over which remote to use. I have another problem with my new Samsung Smart TV and my mind just got confused.
- I had to unexpectedly leave town for about a week this morning so will see what the status is when I get back and try your upgrade ideas if no improvement.
- As far as Internet - EVERYONE of the big companies say that they cannot provide internet service to our house which is only about 30 miles outside of FLAT Houston area. There are a couple of small local companies that do offer it, presumably by tower, but I haven't yet found anybody happy with both speed and customer service, even when just using it with a PC.
It was the 3rd lady we talked to from AT&T that suggested using the Iphone - as she does. She says she lives in a small town(like us) and even though the 'plan' says it will reduce speed when you exceed your data, she finds very little slowdown. However the main reason she suggested the phone was that, YES AT&T offer hotspot 'boxes' (which presumably get around issues of leaving the house with the phone), but
a) These 'boxes' work very similar to the iphone with just a little extra data, so why not at least try the iphone first to see if it works
b) The 'boxes' cost a lot more than the phone method, and often require a 2-year commitment, so again try the phone first to see how it performs,,,
CHEERS - Dave
I have one of those MiFi's and it works very well ....
I bought it outright though so I don't have a monthly fee for it and because of that I turn it on and off as I need.

I have one of those MiFi's and it works very well ....
I bought it outright though so I don't have a monthly fee for it and because of that I turn it on and off as I need.

Thanks Jimbo, Do they charge a monthly 'service' charge for MiFi? Do you run out of data very often? We do not do gaming or download movies, but we are interested in a few Netfix shows. Read somewhere Netflix HD = 3GB/Hour ! Also not sure if it works with 4K but thats OK right now with very few shows...
Thanks again!

Thanks Jimbo, Do they charge a monthly 'service' charge for MiFi? Do you run out of data very often? We do not do gaming or download movies, but we are interested in a few Netfix shows. Read somewhere Netflix HD = 3GB/Hour ! Also not sure if it works with 4K but thats OK right now with very few shows...
Thanks again!
I actually use very little data apparently, but I like you, don't do a whole lot other than surf the internet and Netflix.

I never run out of data, then again theres always multiple levels of data available and Unlimited as well.

Yes there is a monthly Mifi charge, which is another reason i turn it on and off.

I came back from vacation to the same problems of not being able to use ON DEMAND
I could also see from another TOPIC on this forum that I did not have the latest update - My Menu and Guide still had the old look and feel.
Called DirecTV directly and GOT LUCKY.
She 'remotely' did the Double Refresh on the box and said she would escalate to engineering to find why my update had not happened yet.
BINGO - next morning all working fine with On Demand and Menu/Guide updated. (Yes with Iphone Hotspot)
THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED ... Dave

Not everyone has the latest update yet. the update is pushed to boxes early in the morning so I think you getting it had nothing to do with anything the CSR did.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts