OnDemand Thru Ethernet and Multi-Room

Status
Please reply by conversation.

seaquake2

Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
I have 2 HR24s (tech installed my Direct TV service today!).

By the way FYI, I received HR24s by selecting Multi-Room DVR and $25 Deca setup. But I believe I got the HR24s because the tech called me an hour before he came to my house and said he would be there once he picked up the equipment. I kindly asked him if my 2 HD DVRs could be HR24s, he gladly said yes.

When he got to my house he asked how I knew about the HR24s and to request them. I told him I work in IT and always stay up with the greatest and newest equipment, but that I truly found out about them on this website.

I'm using Multi-Room DVR and wanted OnDemand too. They tech said he needed to install Deca which I assumed Deca and Satelitte feed to receiver could be ran across the same coxical cable and then split (or diplexed). But when the tech got there he informed me they can't run Deca and Satlitte feed to receiver over same coxical feed and need to run a new cable line and he needs to tear open my walls to do this (which i said no never mind to deca).

I assumed that since Deca is on 500 - 600mhz and Satellitte video is 950 - 1250mhz that they can be over same line but I was told due to Multi-Room they can't be (Multi-Room must be ran on same frequency as Deca then).

The tech told me I could just plug in my ethernet cable from my router into the DVR box and get ondemand.

After he left I tried but for the life of me I couldn't get the DVR box to obtain an IP address from my router. I then set my ip address manual and tried to start the network services on the box. But that didn't work either...

I then read on direct tv's website that if your using multi-room DVR that you can't use the ethernet port for ondemand!

Why not?

Is there a work around or a way to use multi room and ethernet through on demand?

Here what Direct says on their site..

DIRECTV Will I have to make any changes to my connection if I want to add Whole-Home DVR service?

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2805/kw/Whole-Home DVR service/r_id/104513

When you order Whole-Home DVR service, just let us know that you would also like to connect your DIRECTV® System to your home Internet network. The professional installer will make all the necessary changes to the way your system is connected to the Internet. Call us at 1-800-531-5000 to schedule your Whole-Home DVR service installation. For more information on DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service, visit directv.com/wholehome

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/wholehome

That support link doesn't really answer my question of how does DECA get setup/installed in my house and why can't you use Ethernet wired on 1 HD DVR Plus box when you have 2 HD DVR Plus boxes setup in Multi-Room configuration.

Also I had an installer here today that said he had to drill holes in my walls and run another cable for a seprate line to run DECA outside to the multiswitch "splitter". Although I have read numerous places online that people had DirectTV come out and run DECA and Multi-Room over a single coaxial cable.

Wait maybe I figured it out...

I was thinking the setup you be like this..

Router is next to LR HR24 with a single feed for coaxial. I just assumed he would plug the DECA into the router and then my HR24 into the DECA adapter. But obviously that wouldn't work.

He would have to either have the router in a room with no other receivers to use existing coaxial cable or run a line into a room that already had a receiver so that 1 line feed to receiver and for DECA adapter to receiver and another coaxial line to feed the DECA adapter from the router.

OK so I believe I answered one of my questions myself.

So last question still unanswered is why can't I have Multi-Room DVR over coaxial and plug a Ethernet line into my DVR to get On Demand too? Why would it allow both services together?

If you plug a Cat-5 cable into an HR24 it will disable the DECA feature and you will get an internet connection but it will drop out of MRV. You need to be all Deca or all Cat-5, either will work.

same problem

I'm having the same problem and my local dealer did the hook up. I want the whole home video, plus naturally I still want to be able to get video on demand. Someone mentioned that I can get everything I need at Solid Signal. But what exactly do I need. My HR20 DVR is working great on my other receivers. Just having issues with the HR24 DVR. Thanks for the suggestions.

In DIRECTV's current view of the world, DECA is the way to do MRV and connecting to your router via a special self-powered DECA adapter is how you bring the Internet into that domain.

By telling the tech that they couldn't DECA to your router, you've inadvertently screwed yourself out of the Internet connection. If the installers weren't so i'll prepared to do DECA, they would understand that an existing Ethernet cable that runs to the router is virtually the same as locating at the router.

To get an Internet connection back, you need to install a DECA broadband adapter at one of the handy Ethernet terminations as originally planned. The tech's claim (or your understanding of what the tech said) was all wet about any technologies being mutually exclusive.

What is essentially mutually exclusive is trying to use DECA and Ethernet on the same receiver. It might work, but if the receiver ever gets replaced with a '24, it will stop working and you'll tear your hair out trying to figure out why.

Yeah everyone should be able to get the DECA where their router is.. Only thing they would have to do is run a coax cable drop where your router is..

Only thing they would have to do is run a coax cable drop where your router is..
But is running a cable to the router really that important if you already have an Ethernet cable from the router at one of the receivers? Diagnosis may be easier if the adapter is near the router but I can't imagine any practical necessity. Either way, the DECA broadband adapter is cabled directly to the router.

If you have a Ethernet cable from the router near one of the receivers you could put the DECA there as long as you have a coax cable jack that runs back to the Swim Switch. On these Broadband DECA you must have power to plug it into,network patch cable to plug it into your router or a network drop that you can plug into. The last thing you must have a coax drop that runs back to your Swim Switch due to the DECA has to plug into it. This is what sends your net connection to all of your other receivers without having to have a physical connection to the rest of your hardware.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts