One cable or two running from the dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jevid

Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
So, I had an install scheduled today, and I blew it. I had been comparing E* and D* and went with D*. I had asked with E*, and their dishes have a switch built into them so only one cable runs from the dish into the house. I assumed the same with D*, but I should have clarified. The the installer today said no, I have to have two cables running from the dish to the DVR. :( He said there is a "SWIM switch" (I think that's what he called it) that they have been testing and are going to roll it out "soon." He also wouldn't guarantee that the DVR he was going to install (an HR20-100) would work with it, and had not actually seen a switch nor did he know how they were installed.

So, I cancelled. I just spent a pretty $$ re-doing my entire house, and the spot where they would have to run another cable & drill a hole through the house would be bad. I'm anal, I know, I just didn't want that. I also didn't want to just run one cable for now, activate service, then find out I would need a different DVR or they couldn't install the switch, etc.

So, is this switch the guy mentioned for real, and does anybody know anything about them, the timeline, what hardware the are compatible with, etc.? I"m bummed because I feel like I did a lot of research and was happy with my decision, and I can't believe I forgot to ask this one question. :(

Thanks - Jevid

So, I had an install scheduled today, and I blew it. I had been comparing E* and D* and went with D*. I had asked with E*, and their dishes have a switch built into them so only one cable runs from the dish into the house. I assumed the same with D*, but I should have clarified. The the installer today said no, I have to have two cables running from the dish to the DVR. :( He said there is a "SWIM switch" (I think that's what he called it) that they have been testing and are going to roll it out "soon." He also wouldn't guarantee that the DVR he was going to install (an HR20-100) would work with it, and had not actually seen a switch nor did he know how they were installed.

So, I cancelled. I just spent a pretty $$ re-doing my entire house, and the spot where they would have to run another cable & drill a hole through the house would be bad. I'm anal, I know, I just didn't want that. I also didn't want to just run one cable for now, activate service, then find out I would need a different DVR or they couldn't install the switch, etc.

So, is this switch the guy mentioned for real, and does anybody know anything about them, the timeline, what hardware the are compatible with, etc.? I"m bummed because I feel like I did a lot of research and was happy with my decision, and I can't believe I forgot to ask this one question. :(

Thanks - Jevid
First off, :welcome to the site :)

The switch mentioned IS real it's called a SWM switch (Single Wire Multiswitch) , it's been in testing for quite some time now.
I do not know if it is yet available or if there is a release date yet.

fwiw, The D* dishes also have Multiswitches built into the LNB as DISH does.
You can use the slimline 5 LNB set up and do just as he said, but it would require you to have a second line to watch a second show while recording at this time until the SWM is on the market.
btw, thats what the majority of us do, have a second line run to the DVR.

You can use the HD (I presume your getting) DVR as a single wire set up IF yunwanted to, but you would have to watch what your recording.
Then when the SWM is available, hook it up and you would be good to go.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo. So without the SWM switch, you couldn't watch another recorded show while one is recorded - you could only watch what is being recorded?

I know I could go the route of just running one cable now, but I would hate to do an install based on something that is coming downing the pipe, not knowing how long it will be 'til it gets here, and also, if it really would work with what I have. I just took the more cautious route for now.

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it!

Jevid

I don't think the HR20 series supports the SWM technology. HR21's do though.

Thanks Jimbo. So without the SWM switch, you couldn't watch another recorded show while one is recorded - you could only watch what is being recorded?

I know I could go the route of just running one cable now, but I would hate to do an install based on something that is coming downing the pipe, not knowing how long it will be 'til it gets here, and also, if it really would work with what I have. I just took the more cautious route for now.

Jevid

Currently, If you want to watch one show and record another, you need 2 lines hooked to the back of the HD DVR, there is a spot for Sat 1 and Sat 2, one for each line.
When this new SWM comes out, those that have them will be able to accomplish that with just the single wire like you currently have.

If you don't want D* to run a second line for you, CAN you do it yourself ?

Eventually the SWM will be built into the LNB set up, I would imagine, in the beginning I think it will be a seperate item.

Some have rumored it to be expensive, no official word from D* about how it will be distributed.

Jimbo

OP: Run your own RG6 where you want it and where it will not show and then have them come back out. Myself I prefer the separate RG6, CAT6, etc cable runs and additional spare ones t in each room; even if I am not using those rooms (yet). Once you have combined I feel that if something changes down the road you are stuck. If you were in the process of re-doing your home (same thing we did) that would have been the time to research and plan out cabling and wiring for the future.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the responses, thank you. Yes, I can run the cable myself - it's just that where the 2nd one has to go is not in an attractive place at all. And yes, I should have researched this before re-doing the entire house, but, I didn't have satellite then, I'd never had it before, and it never crossed our minds that you would need more than one cable. It was not something the electrician suggested either.

For now, I'm either just sticking with cable, or will go with E*, which while not my first choice, is still much cheaper than cable.

Again, thanks everybody for confirming this, I really appreciate it!

Jevid

SWM are available in Fl

I have had one for two months. Works great. I have the HR21. Installed by local independant company. Much better than DTV installers in this area.

I think the point is that there are independent contractors who work for DirecTV and then there are totally independent contractors that have no arrangement with DirecTV. The local DirecTV installer here would not touch my Slimline install. I went to a local home theater install company and their guy installed my Slimline.

I think the point is that there are independent contractors who work for DirecTV and then there are totally independent contractors that have no arrangement with DirecTV. The local DirecTV installer here would not touch my Slimline install. I went to a local home theater install company and their guy installed my Slimline.

Say what ???

The guy that works for F* (contractor or not) would NOT set up your Slimline ?

Now I see why I do all my own set up work, I just set up another Slimline yesterday, took about 5-10 minutes, all sats in the 90's.

I used existing wiring we had run previously.

Jimbo

Jevid
You CAN watch another recorded show while one is recording, you just can't watch another live show while one is recording. Unless I misunderstood what you posted this is how it works with one cable.

You CAN watch another recorded show while one is recording, you just can't watch another live show while one is recording. Unless I misunderstood what you posted this is how it works with one cable.

Thanks for that info. I've got my electrician coming over this week. We may have found a way to run a 2nd cable but it will involve some digging & burying. I'm hoping it works out and I can re-schedule my install for later next week.

Jevid

I have a 3 LNB dish with two lines running underground from a pole to a 4 output multi-switch feeding 4 tuners. I would like to install a Slimline dish but not have to dig under my driveway again to run 2 additional lines. Will a SWM allow me to have only two inputs and 4 outputs so I dont have to add wires underground? Thanks in advance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts