One DVR to multiple TVs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftaisawesome

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
What would be the best way to hook up one of the newer HD DVRs to a remote TV?

The main tv will be hooked up via HDMI. I may also buy another HDTV for the same room to hook up also. I have a non HD tv in another room I'd like to hook up to the same box. Is there a coax output I can use or, is there a better way? I haven't got installed yet so, I don't know what model I will get. I'm just trying to get everything planned out ahead of time. Bottom line.... What is the best and/or easiest way to hook to 2 or more TVs? Thanks

tv1 - hdmi, tv2 - component video, tv3 coax via a rf modulator as no there is no coax output on any hd receivers from d*. Also if you want to save some money and know how to make coax cable, run 5 lengths of it from the box to your second tv (component) and get 10 of these

Amazon.com: RiteAV - RCA Male to F-type Female Adapter: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31F6csS6%2BPL.@@AMEPARAM@@31F6csS6%2BPL

saves you major money than investing in component cables, i believe you can also get compression rca fittings.

What would be the best way to hook up one of the newer HD DVRs to a remote TV?

The main tv will be hooked up via HDMI. I may also buy another HDTV for the same room to hook up also. I have a non HD tv in another room I'd like to hook up to the same box. Is there a coax output I can use or, is there a better way? I haven't got installed yet so, I don't know what model I will get. I'm just trying to get everything planned out ahead of time. Bottom line.... What is the best and/or easiest way to hook to 2 or more TVs? Thanks

You do realize that all 3 TVs will receive the same program?

tv1 - hdmi, tv2 - component video, tv3 coax via a rf modulator as no there is no coax output on any hd receivers from d*. Also if you want to save some money and know how to make coax cable, run 5 lengths of it from the box to your second tv (component) and get 10 of these

Amazon.com: RiteAV - RCA Male to F-type Female Adapter: Electronics

saves you major money than investing in component cables, i believe you can also get compression rca fittings.

Can you elaborate on this RF Modulator option? I really don't want to run 5 coax runs. Just a nice easy way to hook up a remote SD TV is all I really need.

I'm planning on doing something similar - but I'm running the output to two monitors: one via HDMI or Component (not sure yet), the other via RF converter.

You can get an RF converter from Radio Shack for about $20-$30. It will take A/V or S-video output from your receiver and convert it to RF/Coax. From there you can run the coax cable to your second monitor.

I tested an instance of this from my HR22. I had the component output going to one TV, and connected a second monitor to the a/v output. Both outputs stayed active. When I tried this from an H10-250 (old HD Tivo), once I used the component cables it turned off the A/V or S-video ports. Only one output source allowed I suppose.

I plan to set this up soon, possibly tonight, and will post again with my results. I'm not sure what the video quality will be like. I'm going with the RF Converter option because the TVs will be in separate rooms, and I already have the coax run outside into the other room.

I'm planning on doing something similar - but I'm running the output to two monitors: one via HDMI or Component (not sure yet), the other via RF converter.

You can get an RF converter from Radio Shack for about $20-$30. It will take A/V or S-video output from your receiver and convert it to RF/Coax. From there you can run the coax cable to your second monitor.

I tested an instance of this from my HR22. I had the component output going to one TV, and connected a second monitor to the a/v output. Both outputs stayed active. When I tried this from an H10-250 (old HD Tivo), once I used the component cables it turned off the A/V or S-video ports. Only one output source allowed I suppose.

I plan to set this up soon, possibly tonight, and will post again with my results. I'm not sure what the video quality will be like. I'm going with the RF Converter option because the TVs will be in separate rooms, and I already have the coax run outside into the other room.

That would be great. Thanks alot! I look forward to your results.

fyi, in case your RF coax line loss is a problem, I'd install an RF amp at the headend of the coax line right after the output of your DTV receiver. I ran multiple coax lines to most rooms in my house years ago and I added a 12dB RF amp and it compensates for line loss with good results. I still use the SD RF coax for a couple of std TV's in the house. I remember when I ran a comparison picture test (with & without the RF amp) and the difference was amazing. I guess it depends on the length of your coax runs.

I got my RF amp at my local Home Depot. Don't rememver the cost but it wasn't high.

I bought this it is over 2 cat5 cabling but it works great even has audio and IR extender
I ran a 100 ft cat5 cable
Now the Picture is not a good as having a direct component cable but still HD picture
you can hook up one HD TV and one SD tv just use a splitter for the audio
not sure if I can post the link of the website it is now 65.00

.hdtvhookup.com/duauandviovc.htm

is there a part number or any info on RF converter from Radio Shackl

Last edited:
Okay - I hooked everything up and it worked. I have an HR21-100. To one TV I have component cables - to the other tv in a different room I have S-video and audio from A/V going to my RF Converter. Originally I had that going through my sling box on the way to the RF Converter but the audio was terrible. I now have it going direct to the RF Converter.

Now, that being said - the picture quality on the tv coming from the RF converter is no great. I'm not sure if the signal is being down-converted or what. I will try Scoop8's suggestion with the boosters. My RF converter was purchased years ago; I'm not sure if better converters are on the market, or if my converter is in fact down converting.

All that said, the experiment DID work and I'm getting the wide-screen picture plus audio on both tvs. I will post more as I tinker with my set up to optimize the picture and sound.

the 5 runs of coax i was talking about are just equivalent to the 5 wires needed for component cables.

the rf mod has been explained in other posts.

Yes, I understood your post perfectly. I really don't want to do that if there is an easier option. If not, then I'll probably do it.

FTAISAWESOME
I posted this run 2 cat5 cable and it works great however the picture would not be as good as 5 component cables. I use and thought it was worth it
2 cat5 cable///ir extender, composite A/V, and HD component V
hdtvhookup.com/duauandviovc.htm

FTAISAWESOME
I posted this run 2 cat5 cable and it works great however the picture would not be as good as 5 component cables. I use and thought it was worth it
2 cat5 cable///ir extender, composite A/V, and HD component V
hdtvhookup.com/duauandviovc.htm

That looks pretty cool. Cat 5 cable is pretty small also. Thanks for posting that.

if you have inference on wifi you will have problems. There is a unit that does HD but it is $399.99 ouch!
But it looks like he is only interested in SD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)