One in three TV viewers in the US now use an antenna: report

So I guess Horowitz Research is just a fake company providing fake results eh?
At 12 employees, they're not an industry juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination. They do have a respectable client list but many companies manage to make those look pretty rich.

Without knowing what the sample size was, the assumptions and the margin of error, it is dangerous to draw to many conclusions from even the most respected surveys.

At 12 employees, they're not an industry juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination. They do have a respectable client list but many companies manage to make those look pretty rich.

Without knowing what the sample size was, the assumptions and the margin of error, it is dangerous to draw to many conclusions from even the most respected surveys.

While I agree with you, for a poster to jump into the conversation and call the research a "puff piece" and declaring themselves the de facto expert is just pure arrogant hubris.

While I agree with you, for a poster to jump into the conversation and call the research a "puff piece" and declaring themselves the de facto expert is just pure arrogant hubris.
It is a puff piece using statistics to push a particular point of view...they are just another pr firm..thats public relations....nielson sells subscriber data...thats their core business

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

It is a puff piece using statistics to push a particular point of view...they are just another pr firm..thats public relations....nielson sells subscriber data...thats their core business

Unless you enlighten us on what makes you privy to that information, you're no different than anybody else on this forum.

Unless you enlighten us on what makes you privy to that information, you're no different than anybody else on this forum.
Read the article....look at what they are " selling"... its not really about antenna usage...its an article pushing the next generation of ota..using a special poll with no internal information available...its a commercial

As the broadcast industry works to improve its standards and achieve widespread adoption of ATSC 3.0 –which, according to announcements from NAB, will reach 40 markets by 2020—that advantage gap has the potential to shrink, with adoption of over-the-air viewing increasing,’’ she said.

And honestly, ATSC 3 is desired by broadcasters because they see an opportunity to monetize it. That is not good news for viewers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

And honestly, ATSC 3 is desired by broadcasters because they see an opportunity to monetize it. That is not good news for viewers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It also comes with data mining capabilities, which I don't blame them for wanting- it will give a real-world picture of who is actually using OTA and what they're viewing. Then, we will have undisputed data on how many OTA viewers there really are.

Last edited:
It also comes with data mining opportunities, which I don't blame them for wanting- it will give a real picture of who is actually using OTA and what they're viewing. Then, we will have undisputed real-world data on how many OTA viewers there really are.
There is gonna be lots of station consolidation...many local stations will just be come repeaters of big city tv stations...not to mention more tv frequencies will be reused for other purposes

Another important issue is that unless the younger generation has access to a lan-connected tuner, OTA capable DVR or tuner-equipped media server, they're not catching the OTA wave at all.

How long can OTA survive when a growing portion of the population doesn't do their viewing on TVs? $1,000 USB streaming sticks connected to what manner of antenna?

Another important issue is that unless the younger generation has access to a lan-connected tuner, OTA capable DVR or tuner-equipped media server, they're not catching the OTA wave at all.

How long can OTA survive when a growing portion of the population doesn't do their viewing on TVs? $1,000 USB streaming sticks connected to what manner of antenna?

I think it's a combo of streaming + OTA. Most modern smart TV's incorporate the OTA tuner with streaming apps in one interface.

There is gonna be lots of station consolidation...many local stations will just be come repeaters of big city tv stations...not to mention more tv frequencies will be reused for other purposes
I reject your theory.

If the stations cover too much ground, they start looking like networks and you can get network programming many places. It would be hard to claim that you were serving your markets if you were feeding all of them the big city feed.

The purpose of OTA is local programming and if they don't offer it, they're not serving the public interest.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I think it's a combo of streaming + OTA. Most modern smart TV's incorporate the OTA tuner with streaming apps in one interface.
A lot of the younger viewers don't typically use televisions (smart or otherwise). They watch their content on their phones, tablets and/or laptops instead. Broadcasters are in for a very rough time if they think they can grab a big handful of that market.

A lot of the younger viewers don't typically use televisions (smart or otherwise). They watch their content on their phones, tablets and/or laptops instead. Broadcasters are in for a very rough time if they think they can grab a big handful of that market.

How do you define "younger?" If you're talking about people under 18, I'd say you might be right- although my 15-year-old has a 50" TV in her bedroom and she uses it all the time.

I'd argue that most people of any age who can afford a TV will get one. And they'll use the built-in apps to stream the services they already pay for and *maybe* also attach an OTA antenna. If they know what that is.

Reactions: primestar31
I can't directly contradict a survey especially if it is from a reputable source. I can only say Juan hit on a problem that has seen less, not more antenna usage, in Tampa outskirts and I bet Ct, digital. I had to go to great lengths using experience to get all the OTA stations here when they went to digital. In Ct I gave up, with no hope to get two to three of the locals. (ABC, CW, Fox iffy) Before digital we got them all, plus two stations from Springfield Mass, and one from Providence RI. No more.

I see many antennas that obviously are no longer being used here in Fl where I live. Either no coax connected, or it is hanging, or the antenna is facing the wrong way long neglected. You can probably find posts from a few years ago where I said how many older people did not have cable and used an antenna only here. I bet that has changed for many now. I do think there has to be more people using antennas where they are effective since so many have dropped cable in favor of streaming so that they can get the locals. Networks are still the most watched.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I can't directly contradict a survey especially if it is from a reputable source. I can only say Juan hit on a problem that has seen less, not more antenna usage, in Tampa outskirts and I bet Ct, digital. I had to go to great lengths using experience to get all the OTA stations here when they went to digital. In Ct I gave up, with no hope to get two to three of the locals. (ABC, CW, Fox iffy) Before digital we got them all, plus two stations from Springfield Mass, and one from Providence RI. No more.

I see many antennas that obviously are no longer being used here in Fl where I live. Either no coax connected, or it is hanging, or the antenna is facing the wrong way long neglected. You can probably find posts from a few years ago where I said how many older people did not have cable and used an antenna only here. I bet that has changed for many now. I do think there has to be more people using antennas where they are effective since so many have dropped cable in favor of streaming so that they can get the locals. Networks are still the most watched.

Yes, it's more difficult to receive ATSC at a distance, I won't dispute that. I have a yagi antenna in the attic + 30 dB preamp to make it work, and I'm only 45 miles from the towers. Supposedly 3.0 is supposed to remedy some of these reception issues. That remains to be seen, of course.

I'm talking about those who will be 25 and under at the end of the repack. Whatever happens going forward, this represents a big part of the future of consumer spending.

All the more reason to focus on 3.0... if reception will indeed be significantly improved, it might be the last opportunity to save OTA outside of major metropolitan areas.

To quote my father, who holds a Masters in EE, "In my opinion, they didn't do a very good job with the digital transition. Stations we could receive before are now gone."

I myself am NOT an engineer, but I DO believe that surely there was a way the US could have transitioned to digital without sacrificing the distance a signal carries.

Last edited:
I myself am NOT an engineer, but I DO believe that surely there was a way the US could have transitioned to digital without sacrificing the distance a signal carries.

Yeah, it's called DVB-T using OFDM, but the Robber Barons over here wouldn't allow it, because they couldn't monetize it. So they came up with the horrible ATSC 1.0 system.

Now, ATSC 3.0 should have the best of both systems as it's a hybrid, but we will see how it goes.

Yeah, it's called DVB-T using OFDM, but the Robber Barons over here wouldn't allow it, because they couldn't monetize it. So they came up with the horrible ATSC 1.0 system.

Now, ATSC 3.0 should have the best of both systems as it's a hybrid, but we will see how it goes.

Didn't want to say it, but that's what I heard as well. 8VSB was a mistake.

I reject your theory.

If the stations cover too much ground, they start looking like networks and you can get network programming many places. It would be hard to claim that you were serving your markets if you were feeding all of them the big city feed.

The purpose of OTA is local programming and if they don't offer it, they're not serving the public interest.
Look at north dakota..one main studio with local inserts for news and commercials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts