One local channel started breaking up yesterday

piperut

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
On the Voom STB one local channel started breaking up yesterday. I have the same antenna hooked up to the ASTC tuner in the TV. The channel is fine on the tuner in the TV. It was fine in the VOOM STB before yesterday. Then yesterday it started breaking up. Not sure what happened.

roland

If it was fox, during the race they had an uplink problem which was affecting everyone!

snaggerbob said:
check your signal strength. it must be at least 80-85 to receive a digital signal or you will have problems.

The signal strength on this channel is right at 85. This is both on the STB and on the TV ASTC tuner. The channel come in fine on the TV ASTC tuner, it is just breaking up on the Voom STB. It is PAX channel 16 in Salt Lake.
I live in Farmington.

I had the antenna tuned in before Voom was installed. Sometimes they muck about with the channels on Francis Peak. This would drive me nuts. I would try and readjust the antenna for a couple of days, and then find out they were working on the signal.

However, I am getting a good signal on the Tv, and on the hdtv receiver I have hooked up to the computer off the same antenna.

It is just the Voom STB. This is not a channel I watch much, and if there is something I really want to watch, I can switch it to the TV tuner. It is just a little trouble some.

I am wondering if Voom updated the local channel map for Salt Lake this weekend. That might be why channel 16 start breaking up.

roland

unless you are in the superdma area, there has not been any updates that I am aware of. I would check the diplexor to see if something is wrong with it and adjust the antenna.

vurbano said:
could be a bad OTA module?

I don't think it is a bad OTA module. Here is what I think:

I actually think it is the channel map that Voom is using.
The local channel 16-1 is on UHF channel 29. The Voom STB is also reporting that USDTV is on channel 29. (Channels 99-xx). The channel map for USDTV on their website (www.usdtv.com), and when I tuned in the ASTC tuner on the TV and the HDTV tuner for the computer showed up with channels 99-xx on channels 36, 38, and 48.

I might get a little stronger signal by adjusting the antenna. I am at 41 degrees North (well 3 house south of 41 degrees North) and almost right smack on 112 degrees west.

Francis Peak is located at 41 degrees 01 minutes and 58 seconds North and 111 degrees 50 minutes and 21 seconds west. I am at 1406 meters and the broadcast antenna is at 2816 meters. I only tuned the antenna in by site using terrain features. I could shot an azimuth and see if I could tune the antenna in a little better. I could also adjust the attitude of the antenna. The second might help a little more then the first. I have the attitude parallel to the deck right now. I am not sure what sort of attitude I would want to attempt to adjust it to. (Math is not a strong skill of mine.)

The other local channels are coming in fine on the Voom set top box. It is just this one channel. I don’t watch this channel much. However, there might be other people that do.
If it is a problem with Voom using a wrong channel map, it needs to be corrected.

I also noticed that the Voom STB picked up local channels that were not listed on USDTV’s channel guide, and they had no signal. 4-3, 18-1, and 19-xx (don’t remember how many numbers there were on channel 19-xx). These channels had no signal on them, and they did not come in on my TV tuner or on my HDTV tuner hooked up to my computer. They are also not listed on the USDTV channel map. So this is also making me wonder if Voom has a bad channel map for the Salt Lake Metro Area.

roland

The only reason I noticed this channel was breaking up - I was showing my brother Voom and we noticed this channel was breaking up. This is not a channel I watch.
It is there. It is a channel that some people in the area watch. It is not a channel I watch. It could have been breaking up since the Voom STB was installed. (I don't watch PAX.) It is just if I am showing someone Voom, I need to be able to show them all the channels.

roland

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts