Voom Local OTA - system restarts on one channel repeatedly

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FTLOSM

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
I have my voom box still hooked up and it gets local HDTV fine, did a recent scan again for new channels (mounted antenna higher) found quite a few new ones, all is good, except when i get to one channel 56-1 HD here in Michigan which is a PBS channel that before the scan I was getting fine in the house with antenna but i mounted an antenna outside for more range and it worked and i still get solid signals on that channel but for some strange reason everytime I am going thru the channels, when i get to channel 56.1 now the box restarts itself!

If i come at 56.1 from above or below in the channels doesn't matter once I am on that channel either manually entered or doing channel up / down sweep thru remote, once it hits 56.1 the box restarts itself.

At first I thought the box was too hot, it had been on for about a week while out of town, but after I saw the same action repeatedly I realized its only happening when i try to watch 56.1.

Is there something on the stations end that could be doing this (sounds crazy i know) but i was getting it fine before with indoor antenna, so i retried indoor antenna and now i get the same thing (box restarts) when i hit 56.1 channel.

I know the easy fix (dont watch 56.1) hehe but I even tried another locals scan and a restart of box still same issue, any ideas why this is happening?

Bill

Sounds like there is a flaw somewhere....

Sounds to me like your receiver is faulty in some way to keep doing that very same thing over and over. Most likely, I would assume, that it isn't a software issue or otherwise we would be hearing the same complaints from other owners of the Voom receivers. The only thing I can think of is that it could be somehow hardware related, like say the tuner module itself. Do you have another tuner module from another Voom receiver you can try to see if it does the same thing?

I know some stations in Boston area were causing a similar effect. Must be something wrong in the PSIP data stream. I don't know any solution to this except for hiding that channel from the list. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing and will go away eventually. If you really want, you can contact the local station and ask them if they have been messing with PSIP data on that channel. ;)

Ilya said:
I know some stations in Boston area were causing a similar effect. Must be something wrong in the PSIP data stream. I don't know any solution to this except for hiding that channel from the list. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing and will go away eventually. If you really want, you can contact the local station and ask them if they have been messing with PSIP data on that channel. ;)
Ditto! At various times I believe I had problem with WTTG-DT (DC Fox) and WTVR-DT (Richmond CBS) locking up my VOOM receiver when turing to that channel. There was something in the PSIP datastream the VOOM STB didn't like. Some of the older 2nd and 3rd generation ATSC tuners also had problems (Samsung), but it didn't seem to affect the newer tuners.

I did write to them will see if i get a reply, I am guessing it has to do something with an ajustment they made, worst case I just hide the channel and check it once a week or something, just wondered if I was the only one with this happening (was hoping another local detroit area voom ota user could chime in).

Bill :)

Problem fixed (for now with a patch) MANY thanks to Gary S. from Detroit Public Television who kept in touch with me via email about this and did find an issue with the DTV stream caused by the TV Guide data mux that was added recently.

They have patched it for now till it can be fixed permanently but the patching fixed the problems I was having in seeing this channel without it rebooting my box, people with newer hd ota boxes probably didn't even see this but my old voom box here is fickle I guess.

Bill :)

Glad to hear that! One more mystery solved! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts