One receiver two dishes for locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FB1965

Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
I live in a area where we now have local channels from Chattanooga TN.We have to use two dishes to receive locals.I think the one for locals is Sat. 75 and the normal stuff is Sat 101.I use my dish camping and most the time don't need locals,but some times do.I tried to hookup the system to one receiver using a muiltiswitch that I think is wrong and it doesn't work.I have two single lnb dishes and ran coax from each to the mulitswitch and than one coax to the receiver.The switch i have hads 2 Sat inputs( appears to be for dual LNB and for both hookups to come from same Sat) and one Ant and 4 outputs.I assume that this was not what I need,I think I need one that has a connection for inputs for Sat A and One for Sat B.Anyway I tried this with my Sw and got the correct channel numbers to come up, but never a station .If you can under what I'm trying to say, any help would be appreciated.What would be the type of SW I would need if that is the problem?Thanks.

FB1965 said:
The switch i have hads 2 Sat inputs( appears to be for dual LNB and for both hookups to come from same Sat) and one Ant and 4 outputs.I assume that this was not what I need,I think I need one that has a connection for inputs for Sat A and One for Sat B.

Yeah, that's not gonna work. Each dish needs to have a +13v and a +18v line from the LNB to the multi-switch. At minimum you will need a 4x4 (5x4 with OTA in) or possibly a 6x4. I haven't had to deal with the wing bird for DirecTV myself personally, but thought I understood that the former should work if you do not need programming from 119.

A 4x4 should work in this situation. The 101 dish connects to the Sat A inputs and the 72.5 sat to the Sat B.

If there was a Phase III dish involved, then the new 6x8 switch would be needed.

I've done several 4x4 installs - any kind of D* 4x4 will work fine. But you must use dual LNB's on both dish's & connect all 4 outputs of the LNB's to this switch to work properly.

BUT, if you only need 1 receiver connection & you only have single out LNB's, you CAN use a simple 2x1 switch, which will work as well. I am using one myself at my "test bench" - the switch I'm using is actually an old 4x2 switch that D* put on their first oval dishes. (they hadn't had any plans for the 110 bird back then) It's really just two 2x1 switches in one housing - unfortunately, I can't find a pic of one of these to post.

Quote:
BUT, if you only need 1 receiver connection & you only have single out LNB's, you CAN use a simple 2x1 switch, which will work as well. I am using one myself at my "test bench" - the switch I'm using is actually an old 4x2 switch that D* put on their first oval dishes. (they hadn't had any plans for the 110 bird back then) It's really just two 2x1 switches in one housing - unfortunately, I can't find a pic of one of these to post.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain this a little?I do only need a single receiver and I only have a single LNB on one of the two dishes.Thanks

dishrich said:
BUT, if you only need 1 receiver connection & you only have single out LNB's, you CAN use a simple 2x1 switch.
And you receive all transponders? I'd sure like to know more about that setup. Please don't take my skepticism as negative, truly interested in how that might work for other applications I have in mind.

Most setups need a 4x4 for a two bird solution (D*):

+13v Port - 101 Odd Transponders
+18v Port - 101 Even Transponders
+13v Port w/22 kHz tone - 119 Odd Transponders
+18v Port w/22 kHz tone - 119 Even Transponders (110 Even Transponders can be inserted here with a SAT C kit)

So to me a 2x1 switch would only seem to get half of any combination of transponders.

Pictures, part numbers, links - whatever you could come up with would be appreciated!

Sorry, but I can't find any links to my switch that I'm using, which is a channel master 6902IFD. I only used it because it was of not much value for use with a client, as most likely I would want a minimum of a 4-out switch - figured I may as well put it to good use. (I got it off a PI oval dish I got cheap off E-bay)

BUT, I DID find the 2x1 switch that would work just as well - it's an Aspen S-2010-22OD-PE & here's a link to it, as it is still made:

http://www.eagleaspen.com/admin/product/fujian/file_64.pdf

Even though it says it's for stacked LNB's, it will work just fine for regular ones as well. The reason why these switches work is because they actually pass through the 13V/18V polarity switching to the LNB that is choosen at that particular time. (depending on whether it sees 22khz or not) Since you are only using 1 position & polarity at a time, the LNB does NOT need to be locked to one polarity or the other to work right. Again the 4x2 switch I use is NOTHING more than 2 of these switches in one housing - as long as I would run the 2nd outs of each LNB to the switch, I could use it for a 2nd feed if need be.

The problem you are going to have with this is, that as cheap as D* 4x4's have become, you probably are NOT going to save a lot of $$$ trying to buy this 2x1 switch. (unless you can find one that someone is pitching)

As far as using with the 110C kit, obviously it will work ONLY if you are using it with 1 receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)