One third of Blu-Ray discs region coded

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
This isn't a strike on Blu-Ray. Otherwise I would've posted this in the war zone. I'm just posting this for informational purposes. Fox actually region codes their catalog titles. Talk about a paranoid company!

Only One Third of Domestic Blu-ray Discs are Region Coded : Format War Central

Only One Third of Domestic Blu-ray Discs are Region Coded

Posted on February 23, 2008 by Dave Cowl
Filed Under Format War, Blu-ray, Studios | 4 Comments

Region Coding was been a contentious issue in the format war, with the benefits and disadvantages often argued. While HD DVD had no region based restrictions, allowing importation of titles from anywhere on the map, some say that the lack of region coding cost HD DVD studio support from the likes of Fox and Disney, and especially New Line who went on record as saying that they would hold back HD DVD releases due to lack of region coding on the format.

Today Blu-ray Stats is reporting that, after updating their region code database to 90% of US domestic titles, only 1/3 titles are restrictively region coded. Fox is the biggest fan with all of their discs coded Region A, and New Line only has one title coded for all regions. At the other end of the spectrum, studios that released on HD DVD, namely Warner, Paramount and DreamWorks have unrestricted Blu-ray titles also. Sony, Disney and Lionsgate have a mix, with typically the DVD Day and Date releases being Region A and the catalogue titles being unrestricted.

It will be interesting to see if the ‘end of the format war’ will result in any studio policy changes with regard to region coding.

Blu-ray Stats News Log » Blog Archive » Region Code Status Update for Blu-ray Statistics

Region Code Status Update for Blu-ray Statistics
Posted in Site News, Studios on February 23rd, 2008 by Dave

Today we made a large Region Code update to the main database. Now we have Region code information for almost 90% of the US domestic releases. With any luck we will manage to keep it somewhat maintained at this level.

Interestingly enough we get a better indication of the percentages for Region Coding. We see that roughly 2/3 of the titles are coded for all regions, though the different studios have different approaches to Region Codes.

Warner as well as Paramount / Dreamworks are all region free. Sony has 2/3 of their titles coded for all regions, Lionsgate is closer to 60% unrestricted releases. Disney only has 1/3 of titles region free and Fox is the Region Coding king with no discs coded for all regions in the USA. It should be noted however that some Fox titles in other regions are not restricted. The general policy for Sony, Disney and Lionsgate appears to be that day and date releases are region coded where catalog releases are not.

While New Line falls under the Warner umbrella, only one of their titles is coded all regions, which coincidentally is the one title that was released on HD DVD before New Line ceased HD DVD support. With their DTS Master Audio usage, you have to wonder if New Line is in fact Fox in disguise!

It will be interesting to see what Universal does when they release Blu-ray titles. We will be sure to report any apparent change in Region Code policy we see it moving forward.

I've always wondered what benefit studios gain by region coding. It's never bothered me - if they want to do it fine - I've never had plans for importing. I think they want to control their distribution or something, but wouldn't you want anybody and everybody to be able to buy your product when you release it? Why try to restrict certain potential customers? I've can't quite figure that one out.

They want to release on different dates in different regions- and, of course, charge different prices.

I've always wondered what benefit studios gain by region coding.
The official story always was: New movies are released in different countries at different times. If country A has
the movie still running and country B has already the movie on a disc, that disc should not be playable in country A.
Since this scenario does not apply to catalog titles, the later won't have the region code set.

At least this was the explanation paidgeek gave a while ago...
Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - Archived: Insiders Thread

Diogen.

The official story always was: New movies are released in different countries at different times. If country A has
the movie still running and country B has already the movie on a disc, that disc should not be playable in country A.
Since this scenario does not apply to catalog titles, the later won't have the region code set.

At least this was the explanation paidgeek gave a while ago...

Diogen.

Again, except for FOX who region codes their catalog titles.

S~

If country A has the movie still running and country B has already the movie on a disc, that disc should not be playable in country A.
I suppose that might maximize profits a tad. But only if the studios make more money off a theater showing than off a DVD sale. I would guess that $8 at a theater (I think that's what it costs now) would leave the studios with LESS profit than a $15 DVD sale. But I don't know. I don't go to theaters anymore.

I suppose that might maximize profits a tad.
I think both - box office and DVDs - generate about the same amount, around $20B, i.e. you can't really neglect any of them.
And it isn't really a either-or question: successful box office generates good DVD sales.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)