Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I got to admit it, I am not happy with what is going on with XM / Sirius. Last week a bunch of folks were laid off at XM. Most of the XM music channels will be going away and will be replaced by Sirius music channels on or around November 14th.

One DJ from XM posted her thoughts and tells us what happened at XM. Its a sad story indeed.

Myspace.com Blogs - A note from Michelle - Michelle XM MySpace Blog

I got to admit it, I am not happy with what is going on with XM / Sirius. Last week a bunch of folks were laid off at XM. Most of the XM music channels will be going away and will be replaced by Sirius music channels on or around November 14th.

One DJ from XM posted her thoughts and tells us what happened at XM. Its a sad story indeed.

Come on scott. You were a big advocate of the merger. Everyone knew this was going to happen... it had to happen.

I was really hesitant at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was necessary for the survival of satellite radio. I hate the concept of it, but a necessary evil. I dont like the fact that this is not the "merger of equals" as promised. However, these cutbacks are necessary for the survival of the platform.

A merger of equals is a joke...... There is a bigger fish and a smaller fish... The smaller fish gets eaten. End of Story....

I hope that UPop and Cinemagic survive. I also hope they keep a lot of the XM programming (Like IT: the history of music, the James Bond music marathons, etc. that they run occasionally....)

What a bitter jerk she comes off as, blaming Howard Stern for her troubles. I don't feel the least bit sorry for her after reading what she had to say. If XM would have signed Stern when they had the chance, Sirius would have been dead long ago. She should rethink where she puts the blame for her current situation. She comes off sad and pathetic.

Easy Frank, you know how that temper of yours can get you into trouble.... At least as far as Blue Velvet goes....

I don't blame her for being angry..... She had a dream job with minimal corporate interference, no ads, and the company got bought out by a compnay that actually had LESS subscribers than XM (although admittedly they had been gaining ground over the last two years).

The only ones angrier than her are the Sirius XM stockholders..... I bought between $2.20 and $3.30 for about $4000 worth of stock in part of a college fund years back. It's worth $300 right now.... It will probably go down even further once the reverse split hits and they issue a bunch of stock to pay off the debt next year....

Bob, she has every right to be upset about losing her job, but to misdirect her anger to Howard Stern is childish, at best, and slanderous, at worst. The reality is millions of people listen to Stern, while most likely hundreds of people were listening to her channel. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I don't know about slanderous.... Everyone who gets pink slipped is entitled to vent..... She'll never have it that good again....

This is from her blog;
Who cares that they could (NOT) afford to pay Howard Stern's ridiculous salary, so much damn money yet they won him anyway! STUPID! His programming is trash… all T&A and the same thing regurgitated day after day. How many tits can you guess are implants or not in one week? Ugh

She's wrong on many levels. First of all, without getting Stern, Sirius would not exist. Is there still anyone out there who doesn't believe this? He took them from a couple hundred thousand subscribers to over 3,000,000 in one year. Second of all, was she privy to Sirius' financials? I highly doubt it. And what does this have to do with her anyways? If XM was strong enough on it's own, maybe she would still have a job. Better yet, if SHE would have attracked more listeners to subscribe to XM, the way Stern attracted subscribers to Sirius, then maybe she would still have a job. I have zero sympathy for someone who blindly throws blame around for their own problems.

I think your numbers are a little off...... since they paid him a half a billion, you would think he could drive more subscriptions than just the x00,000 he may or may not have driven to the service when he left terrestrial radio....

I think if you crunch the numbers (and you may be able to assume HALF of the subscribers were due to him, ... I think THAT is too generous, but I'll concede the point to make the math work....) he only was able to convince 5-7% of his free radio subscribers to follow him....

Using that as a litmus test, they way overpaid him. He will be getting a pay cut next time around, unless he does an O & A and goes back halfway or all the way to free radio..... where the FCC can get him in their sights again....

The more likely scenario? He says goodbye and hangs up his mike. How much more money does he need?

I agree she and others have the right to vent; and being a rant/vent; what they pass along in a blog should be taken with a grain a salt to say the least. The funny thing though is the rant on Howard; and at Sirius; it should be known to her that even though she and others seem to blindly think it was Sirius that should have been in the money troubles (thanks to Stern) it was Sirius that in effect took over / bought up their beloved XM. So just maybe it was XM itself that was not very well off itself. Also, you would think that post-takeover how someone like herself, seeming intelligent and somewhat internally informed, was taken by surprise in the least about any layoffs or any other redundancy cost cutting measures? Maybe their own XM mgmt was filling their heads full of BS along the way? She is obviously very blindly angry. Maybe she is truly angry at how XM lead them in the wrong direction and then once Sirius was in control and starts cutting back she/they still can't bring themselves to badmouth XM; but its easier to lay wood to the hated Sirius. Maybe if she was a top talent she should have bucked for a job over at the "hated rival" instead of flaming out in angst.

I think your numbers are a little off...... since they paid him a half a billion, you would think he could drive more subscriptions than just the x00,000 he may or may not have driven to the service when he left terrestrial radio....

I think if you crunch the numbers (and you may be able to assume HALF of the subscribers were due to him, ... I think THAT is too generous, but I'll concede the point to make the math work....) he only was able to convince 5-7% of his free radio subscribers to follow him....

Using that as a litmus test, they way overpaid him. He will be getting a pay cut next time around, unless he does an O & A and goes back halfway or all the way to free radio..... where the FCC can get him in their sights again....

The more likely scenario? He says goodbye and hangs up his mike. How much more money does he need?

Look, facts are facts. Sirius had almost no subscribers, almost no market share when they signed Stern. and a lot of that "half a billion" is not cash, but stock options, so how much did they really pay him? Back to the main point, the subscriptions to Sirius did not really begin to grow until Christmas 2005, right before Stern's contract took effect 1-01-06. So in that year of 2005, the other programming, NFL, NBA, etc., or the deals with auto manufacturers, did not substantially drive subscriptions. They rose when listeners realized that they had to get a subscription to her the Stern show. He, and he alone, drove the vast majority of the subscriptions, because unlike the deal that GM has with XM, Sirius' deals with their partners, including Ford and Chrysler, were not as good, as those makers didn't produce nearly as many built-in units. I know, because I was in the car business at that time. You logic and reasoning is typical of people who hate Stern and won't give him credit for drawing, and maintaining, the audience that he has. Tell me, where did all the ratings go on terrestrial radio in the markets that he dominated? Funny, no one has ever come close to his numbers, and the numbers that the stations get now still don't add up to his numbers. And guess what, they never will. Because a large number of his listeners either went to satellite, or they stopped listening to the radio all together. You think that it's a coincidence that CBS/Infinity is in the tank? It's not a mystery at all.

I would assume then that by next spring, MLB will be on Sirius? You cant get it now with the best of XM. I have had XM because of MLB and PGA, and recently bought a new car with Sirius. I would just assume get a Sirius head for my truck, but only if I can get MLB.Hopefully everything will make sense come November.

I would assume then that by next spring, MLB will be on Sirius? You cant get it now with the best of XM. I have had XM because of MLB and PGA, and recently bought a new car with Sirius. I would just assume get a Sirius head for my truck, but only if I can get MLB.Hopefully everything will make sense come November.

Hopefully, there will still be a satrad company by next baseball season. Not looking good, especially after the lawsuit filed against the company and management.

First off, I believe people in the industry and money world accept that Stern brought more subscribers to Sirius than was expected. It was actually a good money move, as outlandish as it seems. I have Sirius (under free subscription period with new car) and know Stern is on 100 & 101. If I ever hear when it's actually him on the radio at any given time, I might give him a listen.

I don't think we have to worry about FCC repression for at least the next 4 years.

Sirius was on it's way to profitability and had a better future outlook than XM. I personally think they would have been better off going it alone and letting XM fail. Cheaper.

She's angry. Fine. But she's wrong. Yes, she betrays some knee-jerk dislike for Stern, and that's not the most professional way to behave. It will no doubt hurt her in her job search. But it's not the worst thing anyone's ever done. Her anger is that she fell off the gravy train, not recognizing it for what it was, and deluding herself into believing it was an iron rice bowl.

She was NOT laid off unexpectedly. From her very own words, she should have seen it coming. If she chose to bury her head in the sand, fine. But it was clear from early on that XM was going to be on the short end of the stick. And she can hardly blame, as she tried, the people that bailed. They simply saw the writing on the wall and acting in their own best interests in a mature manner.

She failed to see the importance of profitability, and the prospect of same, trumping subscriber numbers. She fails to see that if the Grateful Dead draw a bigger audience than Jazz, then it's "right" for GD to get the airspace. If she believes in some intrinsic greater worth for Jazz, then maybe she should get a job in public radio.

She had a great job in a tight field. It is unlikely, and I think she knows it, that she will ever have such a great job in that field again.

XM BeyondJazz was (well, still is) a really great channel. I hope something that comes close to the same will be found after this week...

UPOP is gone.

Retired

2 XMX - gone
18 No Shoes - Gone
51 Metallica - gone
53 Fungus - gone (but Lou Brutus is DJing on Octane 48 and Faction 52)
65 Rhyme - gone (Sub Sonic is moving to Hip-Hop Nation)
72 Beyond Jazz - gone
76 Fine tuning - gone
82 The System - gone (will remain on XMRO)
83 Chrome - Gone
91 Viva - gone
92 Aguila - gone
93 Caricia - gone
125 Weather Channel - gone
162 E! - gone

Format Adjusted / Name Changed

12 X Country - renamed Outlaw Country
29 UPOP - Replaced with BBC Radio One
45 XM Cafe - replaced with The Spectrum
66 Raw - replaced with Hip Hop Nation
80 The Move - replaced with Area
112 VOX - Moved to ch 79 and changed to Metropliton Opera Radio
120 XM Live - renamed 'Specials'
130 Potus '08 - renamed Potus
144 XM Sports Nation - renamed Mad Dog Radio
155 Take Five - renamed Sirius XM Stars

Moved and Renamed

77 Audiovisions - renamed Spa and moved to ch 72
110 XM Classics - renamed Symphony Hall and moved to ch 78
113 XM Pops - renamed Sirius XM Pops and moved to ch 77

Moved

27 Cinemagic - moved to ch 76
28 On Broadway - moved to ch 75
41 Boneyard - replaced with Hair Nation until January, then Boneyard will be back and moved to ch 53
52 The Verge - moved to ch 87
78 Escape - moved to ch 28
94 Caliente - moved to 85
95 The Joint - moved to 86
96 Air Musique - moved to 88
97 Sur le Route - moved to ch 89
103 Martha Stewart - moved to 157
104 Sirius Nascar - moved to 128
128 Fox Business - moved to 136
157 Reach MD - moved to 160
244 Canada 360 - moved to 96
245 Quoi de Neuf - moved to 125
246 Calendrier Sportif - moved to ch 97

Name Changed

10 America - renamed The Roadhouse
16 Highway 16 - renamed The highway (Aimee Page and Storme Warren remain)
17 US Country - renamed Prime country
23 The Heart - renamed Sirius XM Love
26 Flight 26 - renamed The Pulse (Ron ross and Rod Hendrix remain)
30 XM Hitlist - renamed Pop 2K (Albie Dee, KT Harris and Jason Kidd remain)
33 Spirit - renamed Praise
43 XMU - renamed Sirius XM U
44 Fred - renamed 1st Wave
46 Top Tracks - renamed Classic Vinyl
47 Ethel - renamed Alt Nation
48 Squizz - renamed Octane (Bodhi will be on Octane)
49 Big Tracks - renamed Classic Rewind
54 Lucy - renamed Lithium
60 Soul Street - renamed Soul Town
62 Suite 62 - renamed Heart & Soul
67 The city - renamed Hip Hop Nation
73 High Standards - renamed Siriusly Sinatra (Jonathan Schartz still DJing)
84 XM Chill - renamed Sirius XM Chill
116 XM Kids - renamed Kids Place Live
150 XM Comedy - renamed Raw Dog Comedy
163 Sonic Theater - renamed Sirius XM Book Radio

New To XM

18 Elvis Radio
41 Hair Nation
52 Faction
55 Radio Margaritaville
56 Jam On
57 The Grateful Dead Channel
58 E Street Radio