One year anniversary of the Death of Steve Jobs, where we are going from here

quad core cpu
2gb ram
nfc
expandable storage
user replaceable battery

this is what top tier Android phones are sporting.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

AND an iPhone does not need 2GB of ram, a quad core processor, nfc, or I would argue, expandable storage (the battery would be nice).

John, have you actually used an iPhone 5 or 4S? With a 1.2GHz processor (1GHz on 4S), and a measly 1GB of ram on the 5 and 512MB on the 4S, these are very fast devices. The 5 is incredibly optimized; applications load fast, web browsing is zippy. It is a great user experience. Never ONCE when I had the 4S did I say, "damn, this thing is slow or sluggish; never once did I feel like I did not have enough memory to do anything.

Android phones sport those specs because there are numerous manufacturers dependent on a third-party, Google, to provide software, which is inefficient at times, and as has been argued many times before, they overcome the uncertainties of the OS and lack of individualized hardware optimization by hitting it with raw force. Apple has the BENEFIT of one OS and just a handful of handsets, which they can tweak the operating system to maximize performance.

Yes, I've used them all on a short term basis. Problem is, I do some crazy things with a smart phone / tablet and that's one area where iPhone comes up a little short. Then again, most don't try to do remote support from their phone ;) I'm much more of a power user so I readily admit that I set a high bar for multi-tasking performance. What's a high bar though? Simultaneously running:
VPN
Multiple Terminal Emulators (Unix Servers)
Multiple Remote Desktop Sessions (Windows Servers)
Multiple Web Browsing Sessions (Intel Hardware KVM)

The ability to "sneaker-net" files is oft overlooked by those without removable storage. "sneaker-net" is faster when you are talking about larger transfers, i.e. Move ROMs around, transfer entire music libraries etc. Take the card out, copy to/from a computer, put it back in.

I expected iPhone5 to be quad core, but now if iPhone 6 or iPhone 5s (or whatever the next one is badged) isn't quad core they will be clearly losing the performance game. Not that it'll be bad, but it will be underpowered.

The chipset vendor for the SoC (Samsung Exynos, Qualcomm Snapdragon, NVidia Tegra, TI OMAP, etc) should be done by the chipset vendor, as they have access to all of the specifics of the chipset. I don't have an in at Google to say that's what is happening though. I do know on newer generation dual or quad core chipsets, even without Jelly Bean I have no performance issues. Newer to me is something like the Galaxy S2 (work phone) or the Tegra 3 (tablet) as compared to the Moto Photon's chipset (don't remember what one that is off the top of my head).

The last ability I haven't touched on is expandibility with industry standards such as USB. I can connect up serial adapters and wired network adapters to my GS2 and tablet and either of these will work without any effort on my part. While I'd never actually use it beyond the "gee it's cool" on the GS2, I use it regularly on my tablet. But once again, we're talking about power user vs a typical user. Not many people hook up text console sessions any more.

It was asked what was lacking, I gave my perspective for me. OTOH, the Iphone 4 / 4s / 5 / Next Gen works well for other members of my household -- and that's quite fine too.

I'm not anti-apple -- I switched my wife over (begrudgingly) to Mac and she couldn't be happier now. I use a Mac Mini as a desktop/server/test bed and have no complaints other than the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock is late and getting later by the day. I added a second ethernet NIC with a Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter to split off a dedicated network to my NAS for ripping / managing etc.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/10

Apple's 2 custom cores are outperforming the quad cores on the market, only the Atom seems to give it a run for its money.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/11

The GPU is stomping other phones too.

Four cores do not mean more performance.

Apple hired top CPU designers to develop a much better ARM processor core. It is not available to other phone makers.

I really like the iPhone 5, it is a big step up from the iPhone 4 I used to have. Really the only "shortcomings" I see is the lack of NFC and not going 1280x720p on the display instead of the funky resolution. If redesigning all the screens anyways they could have just picked a standard resolution for videos and had 40 pixel letterbox on the sides to emulate the old resolution in unconverted apps.

John, I most certainly get your personal needs -- but I see them as FAR from the mainstream user, and think they are hard to use to make in claims based on the issue we were talking about. :)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/10

Apple's 2 custom cores are outperforming the quad cores on the market, only the Atom seems to give it a run for its money.

The article also states that these are only web based benchmarks as no cross platform benchmarks exist yet. Or put alive YMMV.

It's also not clear (except the last test) if the other tests are the HTC One X international quad core or the US Dual core. The coming weeks will see the release of quad core Samsung (exynos quad core) and LG (Snapdragon quad core) both with 2gb memory.

The GPU is stomping other phones too.

For now, but this is the fastest growing segment of tech and ARM is open which has given the market excellent competition.

Four cores do not mean more performance.

Context is everything. for some tasks more cores are better. also for single thread execution you can stack more throughput across four cores than two.

Apple hired top CPU designers to develop a much better ARM processor core. It is not available to other phone makers.

All of them have "top designers". Samsung, Qualcomm, NVidia, Intel etc.

I really like the iPhone 5, it is a big step up from the iPhone 4 I used to have. Really the only "shortcomings" I see is the lack of NFC and not going 1280x720p on the display instead of the funky resolution. If redesigning all the screens anyways they could have just picked a standard resolution for videos and had 40 pixel letterbox on the sides to emulate the old resolution in unconverted apps.

They left it at 640 to have an easier path on the Gfx side and likely to maintain the width dimension on the device.

NFC is in the chicken/egg phase but I don't think they'll put it in until they can profit from it. of course leaving it out delays the inevitable and forces an upgrade to the next i phone to get it.

Sadly the industry seems to be moving away from user replaceable batteries.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Please list them. I have my small list but I don't think they are on other people's list.

SVDO and SVLTE are too simple ones. All 1xA codecs, I am not even sure it supports 1xA. NFC was already mentioned. Not going down the screen size road. As their are arguments for both sizes and it all depends if you have used a larger screen phone or not, or maybe the brand skinny jeans you wear.

And performance speak, I have seen a few tests where the HTC EVO, same SOC as OneX I think.. Not sure.. It was faster than the iPhone. But I don't get into all those people running cpu test all day on their phone in the locker room comparing how big their junk is.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Is the iPhone a status symbol ? Not to me... They're soooo common nowadays, they're just another smartphone.

Around here they've turned into phones for the kids that have been handed down, or smartphones for the not so computer/technology literate people.

i believe the iphone has replaced the blackberry as the smartphone to have. i call it a status symbol.
Blackberries were more of a "status symbol" to me. I knew non-business people who got them and did three things: Called people, text, and browsed the internet.

Did they get their email on them ? Nope
Did they use the calender ? Nope
Did they even install any add'l apps ? Nope

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts