One year anniversary of the Death of Steve Jobs, where we are going from here

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Today marks the one year anniversary of the death of Steve Jobs, Apple Co founder. He continues to be the guru most worshiped by followers, both in technology and in business.

In the past year the company led by Steve's appointed successor, Tim Cook, has moved the company to being the largest company in the world, by market cap metrics. The stock continues to be rated as undervalued by market experts, meaning it's price per share is at bargain basement prices based on the return on investment, and earnings per share. Investors who bought into Apple on the day of Steve's death and would sell today would realize an 80% gain in this past year, almost doubling your money. Had you invested $100,000 a year ago and cashed out today it would be worth $180,000. Simply trading 20 % of your original investment at strategic times when product announcements were made, that gain could easily be escalated to well over $300,000. Apple continued to release Steve's legacies during the past year and the public following continued to grow, as each updated design out sold by multiples the previous versions. The iphone 5 has become the most desired single smart phone product today. And, ipad continues to maintain product class dominance world wide. These are the products of Steve's legacy. They grow under the business management of Tim Cook.

Today there are many articles that question and raise doubt as to Apple's future. The key concern is the ability for Apple to further innovate new technological directions. This is what the Steve Jobs worshipers want to see. But as with most idols, especially those of human legend, people forget how Steve really worked. In most all cases he was not the visionary people credit him with. Instead, he would meet with his people and demand to see, " What do you have for me today?" They would tell him and he would usually insult them, telling them in his favorite response, " That is just sh*t! Get out of here and come back when you have something worthy." Then 2 weeks later, Steve would call a meeting and announce to the staff, he has come up with a wonderful new idea. Then proceed to describe the very thing his innovator told him about 2 weeks before but make it out to be his own. This became known as the Steve Jobs reality distortion field. Regardless of who is credited with the Apple Magic, the guy at the top, in charge gets the credit as it was Steve's ultimate decision to make the idea a product in the Apple lineup. What Steve really did was make damn sure these products would be "magic" in the eyes of the public. He was indeed a genius in knowing what the public really wanted before they knew themselves. This was his real magic. The question becomes then, not who can come up with great products but whether Tim Cook can inspire his people to be creative and then pick the idea to become reality, another hit product. That remains to be seen. Currently Tim Cook is still in business management mode of directing the build out of Steve's products.

As an investment, I am not concerned over the future. For the next 2-4 years Apple has enough momentum to carry it's dominance. The reason why is in each of the leading product sectors, Apple has plenty of room to grow. They are not even close to reaching the end of the road. But they do need to stay ahead of the competition with price and performance. Contrary to popular belief, Apple has not created anything new, ever. Instead most of their core products simply take an existing technology and make it easier to use. This most important SJ concept is what drove the company to become the world's largest, under the business management of Tim Cook.

Last edited:
The question is not whether Apple has people who can create and innovate. The question is whether the Apple management will nurture that, or supress it by feeling threatened.

I started at hewlett-Packard back when Bill and Dave were still running the company. I watched the MBA managers kill innovation in the mid to late '80s to the point where profits needed to be guaranteed and real innovation was stomped. Ask yourself, what was the last really cool thing that you see come out of HP?

Yes, HP is listed as the biggest loser next to RIM on Wall Street this year.

To answer your question, I think the most successful product I saw from HP was the HP III Laser Printer. It seemed it was the defacto standard in laser Printers in the industry back then. Every other LP was measured against the HPIII. I had mine for 16 years!
Over the years, back in the early 70's I recall HP's Gas Chromatograph was considered the best of the best in the scientific community. Also back then I bought the HP IV calculator, the first to use RPN rotating stck memories. I still have it and it still works today. The only problem is I have to make my own batteries since those are no longer made. It was this sort of game changing products that the company was known for.

While I agree with you about Apple being able to innovate, I disagree that management would feel threatened by the innovation. Instead, I worry that management won't be visionary and make the right decisions on the products. If they feel threatened, it isn't due to the new tech itself, but rather if the concept fails in the market, they could get fired. The fact is, a good manager only makes a majority of decisions correctly. If they have a small failure rate, then we know they are making decisions. A small amount of failure is a good thing.

Actually, all of the early Laserjet engines were OEMed from Canon. The genius was in convincing Canon to not enter the US market themselves, but to enhance the partnership. HP did supply the electronics and case design, but the printers were assembled at the Canon factory and drop shipped to distribution warehouses.

Now the inkjet technology, with the magnetic ink and the paper handling that shuffled the paper back and forth while running the cartridge across was all HP innovation. HP pioneered the portable defibrilators you see today, back before they shed the medical operation to Phillips. I believe they also had several innovations in sonogram technologies.

They revolutionized the surveying industry with the computerized distance meters and integrated transit, but then quickly lost it all to the Japanese. The list goes on. Microwave instruments, modulation domain frequency displays, true RMS voltmeters, etc.

I say the management thing because that was the change I saw in the mid-80s. The new managers hired real marketing folks where previously we had used the "next desk" strategy of products by engineers for engineers. Soon we were bing forced into guaranteeing predictable sales before a project was staffed. True, we had fewer products strike out, but I never saw a home run after that time either. Instead of building stuff that nobody else could build, we were in a mode where we put out a series of me too products and eventually we were building the stuff that nobody else would bother with.

I was laid off from the Agilent basic instrument operation 10 years ago (voltmeters, counters, power supplies, etc). I recently looked in their current catalog and couldn't find anything in there that I hadn't been involved with in some capacity. Nothing new in 10 years.

As much as Job's was criticized for his authoritative approach, I think Apple is already beginning to see the affects of him no longer being there. Many of the changes that were made on iOS6 would have never been allowed to happen if Job's was still running Apple. There is no way he would have allowed that new maps app to be used in what many would consider an early Beta phase, especially since they still had a year left with Google.

DK- you, like many, forget that Steve Jobs also had many screw-ups in his tenure as CEO of Apple. I distinctly recall Steve's last biggest screw-up known as "Antennagate." The big difference with Steve is that he was so arrogant he denied Apple did anything wrong. Instead he told people they didn't know how to properly hold an iphone. So, while Steve did have his share of goofs, the difference is Steve would insult his customers over it rather than admit Apple had made a mistake.

The idea that Steve never made a mistake and would never have allowed an inferior app to be released is just an example of placing Steve Jobs on some sort of divine status, another example of his cult like following.

The real story here is that the iphone5 is so near perfect that the only thing early adopters of it can find wrong are a couple of silly errors on the Tom-Tom developed app authorized to replace Google Maps. In my opinion, when compared to other maps this is much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
Trust me. I did not forget. I know he had many screw-ups. But he was a perfectionists. He would never allow their current map app to go public in the state it is currently in.

DodgerKing said:
Trust me. I did not forget. I know he had many screw-ups. But he was a perfectionists. He would never allow their current map app to go public in the state it is currently in.

I'm not generally in the habit of trusting the word of someone who thinks they can ask the dead what they would have done in this "screw-up". Just curious, did you ask Steve in a seance or do you use tea leaves? :)

I only know Steve from his authorized biography and and from that he was no perfectionist. He was an opportunist, who prided himself with delusions of reality, wild mood swings and was a fan of using LSD. Imperfection was perfection if Steve said it was, not because it really was perfected.

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys app

People assume that Jobs was responsible for al of the innovation at Apple in recent years, when MUCH of it came from Sir Jonny Ives, who is still at the helm as sr vice president of industrial design. YES, Jobs was a bit of a perfectionist, AND YES, some of his stuff fell flat. Whether Apple Maps would have been released in iOS6 if he was still around is nothing but pure speculation.

It will be a year or two until we know if the "spark" is gone in Apple innovation. But I find all the "its the beginning of the end" talk silly. People are ordering the iPhone 5 in droves, waiting for their phones to arrive, not worried in the least about the maps app. And Apple has had a history of introducing technologies that are disruptive -- and completely change the way we do things (witness the iPhone, and before it the iPod). Will future products just be evolutionary? Who knows. But tech moves fast.

i'm not worried about the map apps for the iphone 5. i'm worried that for all of the hype, the 5 fell flat. i truly believe other companies are moving ahead of apple.

if the rumours are to be believed , Google is expanding the nexus program and some of the phone devices bear monster specs. Top tier android phones are moving to quad core with 2gb of ram at 1.5 ghz and up. between that and jelly bean they are really stepping up the game.

And they are the market leader by a wide margin.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

i'm not worried about the map apps for the iphone 5. i'm worried that for all of the hype, the 5 fell flat. i truly believe other companies are moving ahead of apple.

The same was said about the 4s, and yet Apple managed to sell it. The problem Apple faces is that now people expect the new iPhone to walk on water. They are disappointed when it does not, but they end up buying it anyways... The iPhone5 has already outsold Nokia's windows phones (did it in the first week) and the now the Samsung S3. Apple still is supply constrained on the iPhone 5.

DK- you, like many, forget that Steve Jobs also had many screw-ups in his tenure as CEO of Apple. I distinctly recall Steve's last biggest screw-up known as "Antennagate." The big difference with Steve is that he was so arrogant he denied Apple did anything wrong. Instead he told people they didn't know how to properly hold an iphone. So, while Steve did have his share of goofs, the difference is Steve would insult his customers over it rather than admit Apple had made a mistake.

The idea that Steve never made a mistake and would never have allowed an inferior app to be released is just an example of placing Steve Jobs on some sort of divine status, another example of his cult like following.

The real story here is that the iphone5 is so near perfect that the only thing early adopters of it can find wrong are a couple of silly errors on the Tom-Tom developed app authorized to replace Google Maps. In my opinion, when compared to other maps this is much ado about nothing.

I wouldn't call it near perfect with some of the features people expect in 2012 were left out.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

The same was said about the 4s, and yet Apple managed to sell it. The problem Apple faces is that now people expect the new iPhone to walk on water. They are disappointed when it does not, but they end up buying it anyways... The iPhone5 has already outsold Nokia's windows phones (did it in the first week) and the now the Samsung S3. Apple still is supply constrained on the iPhone 5.

at some point in time, the iphone will stop being a stus symbol. i have enjoyed it because it synchs with my imac. but i have owned androids that were further along on the power curve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts